Dynadot

.biz Can I register a .biz domain for a movie site?

NameSilo
Watch
When I was about to register a biz domain name for a movie site with ads
I had to agree the below statement

".biz top level domains (TLD) are reserved for genuine business or commercial use only. Registering a .biz domain name solely for the purpose of compensation (by selling, or leasing) or using the domain name exclusively for personal, non-commercial purposes or the expression of non-commercial ideas is strictly forbidden. "

So am I allowed to register the biz domain for my purpose?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had to agree the below statement

".biz top level domains (TLD) are reserved for genuine business or commercial use only. Registering a .biz domain name solely for the purpose of compensation (by selling, or leasing) or using the domain name exclusively for personal, non-commercial purposes or the expression of non-commercial ideas is strictly forbidden. "

So am I allowed to register the biz domain for my purpose?

Of course, Selling ad space is a Business .

•••
have any of these restrictions ever actually been enforced ??

•••
have any of these restrictions ever actually been enforced ??

It's not so much enforcement as a challenge basis. You're supposed to follow the rules and you are trusted to do so (via signing statements as above).

Technically you can't "domain" on .biz domains because it's not part of a bona fide business.

Search for:
Restrictions Dispute Resolution Policy

The Restrictions Dispute Resolution Policy (RDRP) applies in the unsponsored restricted TLD .biz. Registrations in the .biz TLD must be used or intended to be used primarily for bona fide business or commercial purposes. Challenges to a registration or use of a given domain name on the grounds that it is not being or will not be used primarily for a bona fide business or commercial purpose are filed under the RDRP. Challenges under the RDRP may be initiated by any party filing a complaint with an approved dispute resolution service provider.

Has it happened?

106124 us-bank.biz U.S. Bancorp Licensing, Inc. v Frederick W. Scalise, Ph.D. RDRP 3/29/02
112553 IPAY.BIZ Internet Billing Company LLC v Resource Marketing RDRP 5/9/02
137042 topdogsoftware.biz, topdogpro.biz DC Micro Development, Inc. aka TopDog Software, Inc. v Sophtware.com, Inc. RDRP 12/30/02
152121 red-cross.biz The American National Red Cross v TreeTops RDRP 3/31/03
155897 dana.biz Dana Corporation v Common Sense Enterprises, Inc., f.k.a. Swarthmore Associates RDRP 4/30/03
155901 centralpacificbank.biz Central Pacific Bank v Muhammad Aman aka CPB RDRP 5/6/03
250246 hp-cartridges.biz Hewlett-Packard Company and Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. v Mario Dolzer RDRP 4/7/04
1306970 amarilloveins.com Ammar Jarrous, MD v Amarillo Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery RDRP 4/2/10
1337105 anzbank.biz Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited v Xirong Zhang / Rooholic International Pty. Ltd. RDRP 8/4/10

So not a lot :) If .biz ever got as valuable as .com then things would change....

The reality is that you're unlikely to complain unless they are "squatting" on a name so it ends up being a UDRP/RDRP vs RDRP.

Basically, biz doesn't have enough value/presence to bother most people.

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Of course, Selling ad space is a Business .

Selling ad space and and using generated ads isn't the same thing. It's not providing goods or services.

But as mentioned above. No one cares. It's all unenforced T&Cs for the most part :) Would make me think twice about registering a high value .biz as an investment; however. If it costs more than $2K then you're at risk of losing it to a complaint if it's just not used correctly and someone else wants it.

•••
Basically, biz doesn't have enough value/presence to bother most people.

It will have enough value in the eye of the competitors If I rank #1 on G for the same keyword as the domain.
It's a 1 word domain with 550k exact matches monthly on G for that word.
This is why I am concerned.

Should I take the risk and go for it or should i register another one ( .cc, .co, .us ) which are also unregistered :D ?

•••
Selling ad space and and using generated ads isn't the same thing. It's not providing goods or services.

Domain Monetization IS a legitimate and VALID Business activity, It generates Taxable INCOME. Supplying Space on a website for someone such as Google Adsense or An Affiliate Marketing company like Linkshare. to advertise their product or service is just as much a valid business reason as running a corporate website.
FYI Google Adsense offers an ad display service to advertisers.

Last edited:
•••
Domain Monetization IS a legitimate and VALID Business activity, It generates Taxable INCOME. Supplying Space on a website for someone such as Google Adsense or An Affiliate Marketing company like Linkshare. to advertise their product or service is just as much a valid business reason as running a corporate website.
FYI Google Adsense offers an ad display service to advertisers.

You say tomayto the U/RDRP may say tomahto.

I don't want to analyze what a panel may consider bona fide commercial use.

Monetization, may or may not be and would depend on the how. Google provides a service to its advertisers using space given to it. The question is still what service do YOU provide for people reaching your site through the DNS ?

Given that there are so few RDRPs filed I doubt it matters or can be determined through case history. UDRP has swung both ways.

•••

Using it for an marketing and adverting site is a business, you can add some Google adsenes, or other affiliate products to add some revenue and bingo instant business

Good Luck

•••
It will have enough value in the eye of the competitors If I rank #1 on G for the same keyword as the domain.
It's a 1 word domain with 550k exact matches monthly on G for that word.
This is why I am concerned.

Should I take the risk and go for it or should i register another one ( .cc, .co, .us ) which are also unregistered :D ?

550K exact matches on a meaningful word that is relevant to a subject on movies that is available in the .US/.CO/.CC and .BIZ?!?

I doubt COMPUTER has that exact search (I didn't check).

Personally, I would take US and CO over BIZ.

•••
Back