IT.COM

.biz .biz restrictions - Obey or ignore them?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was about to reg my first .biz domains at GoDaddy, but then noticed that the registration agreement contains this passage:

"As a .BIZ domain name registrant, You hereby certify to the best of Your knowledge that:
1. The registered domain name will be used primarily for bona fide business or commercial purposes and not (i) exclusively for personal use; or (ii) solely for the purposes of (1) selling, trading or leasing the domain name for compensation, or (2) the unsolicited offering to sell, trade or lease the domain name for compensation. "

In other words, it's against the rules to reg .biz domains if you just plan to sell them. I didn't see that sort of restriction on other TLD's.

I guess most domainers just ignore that rule ... has anyone ever seen it enforced, or run into problems because of it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.biz is not a solid TLD.

•••
•••
You plan to park it correct? That sounds like a business to me.

•••
randomo said:
solely for the purposes of (1) selling, trading or leasing the domain name for compensation, or (2) the unsolicited offering to sell, trade or lease the domain name for compensation.

Parking is a legitimate recognized business use often upheld in UDRP cases, even if not the original intent. Therefore as long as parked for income, it's not "solely" being registered for sale. This industry has many well reconginzed loopholes in the written documents they put out. Use of the word solely in that sentence was either an oversight or a well thought out cop-out to please those who don't like domain investors. I've never heard of a domain being taken for solely putting it up for sale either though.

•••
People register domains all the time for the sole purpose of selling it for a profit. A great domain could easily be sold undeveloped with the right name and the right buyer.

•••
Jeez ,Buying/Advertising/selling Domains?? Sounds like a Business venture to Me

•••
OK, thanks for all your opinions. Parking domains does sound like a business. Off to reg some! :)

•••
•••
IAmAllanShore said:
:lol:

Points are usually received better when accompanied by supporting evidence.
:laugh: True, but the comment was unworthy of debate ... thus the appropriately measured quickie comeback.

•••
I think they need to officially recognize domains as Internet Property. Thus, if you were in the "business" of buying and selling domains, it would be the same as buying tracts of land in the path of a sprawling metropolis... Or tracts of land out in the middle of nowhere... It's either an investment, or a personal use, either way, you own it. No business can come and say, "oh I wanted to build a shopping mall there, so you better give it to me." Hell, even in the case of eminent domain, you're expected to be paid fair market value.

•••
slipxaway said:
I think they need to officially recognize domains as Internet Property. Thus, if you were in the "business" of buying and selling domains, it would be the same as buying tracts of land in the path of a sprawling metropolis... Or tracts of land out in the middle of nowhere... It's either an investment, or a personal use, either way, you own it. No business can come and say, "oh I wanted to build a shopping mall there, so you better give it to me." Hell, even in the case of eminent domain, you're expected to be paid fair market value.

Want to pay property taxes? Claim it yearly and have it appraised for accurate levy?

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Want to pay property taxes? Claim it yearly and have it appraised for accurate levy?

Ssshhhhh Alan :)

the Tax god might read this post and then make us all pay tax on domains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back