IT.COM

Can a new TLD domain become a "premium" after registered?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brianbrytus

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
If I bought one of the new gTLD domain names at the standard rate, can they suddenly declare it a "premium" name and make the renewal hundreds of dollars for that specific name? Does this ever happen? I think I heard something

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There will be guys hussling a few $xxx sales here, and there, but if you really start to build a portfolio, you are going to get stuck with to much inventory, no sell thru, and high renewal. It's been tried, email Berkens, he spent a lot of money, he will give you the straight up if you talk to him nicely.

Thanks again for the follow up. I just hang out here and try and contribute when I can as above no one took and searched out the current .horse situation yet nor commented really except you did just now. Appreciate it. That and several references above to the XYZ mess, but no links to the thread. I am not buying any Ngtlds. Just like to understand the situation.

I did try and buy only one awhile back since they stated prices on premiums on ALL would be reduced. So attempted to register it, but that statement was not true at the time according to the company rep they wanted $10k, and then checked and North Sound Names was on the whois, Lol. Done.

•••
Thanks again for the follow up. I just hang out here and try and contribute when I can as above no one took and searched out the current .horse situation yet nor commented really except you did just now. Appreciate it. That and several references above to the XYZ mess, but no links to the thread. I am not buying any Ngtlds. Just like to understand the situation.

I did try and buy only one awhile back since they stated prices on premiums on ALL would be reduced. So attempted to register it, but that statement was not true at the time according to the company rep they wanted $10k, and then checked and North Sound Names was on the whois, Lol. Done.
If it was on North Sound domains, it would be released into the general stream now, it would most likley have a $1xx annual premium which is better than paying $10K upfront, but can be a pain to sell if the buyer can't understand why all other domains are $10 a year, and this one is $100.

•••
If it was on North Sound domains, it would be released into the general stream now, it would most likley have a $1xx annual premium which is better than paying $10K upfront, but can be a pain to sell if the buyer can't understand why all other domains are $10 a year, and this one is $100.

Thanks, you are correct, just rechecked. Glad they kept their word.
The registry website did say it was $300. Notice all SERP competition now too, so too late.

•••
No, in my best knowledge, after you buy it, they can not do it, as far as you hold it and pay renewals. I have never heard of case which would indicate otherwise. If anyone heard or experienced something else, give some examples :)

It can happen, of course, that AFTER you drop your domain, registry can then hold it back, re-price it (so they can make it premium if the wish to do so) and then release it back as available to register with new, premium price.

Yes, you are right. They can change it to premium if it dropped. It has happened to me. I owed one gTLD, but I did not renew it. It was later released to the public with a premium.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back