Dynadot

Can a Epik staff sell your domains in redemption?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameFu

Professional Design ServicesTop Member
Impact
I noticed that Epik.com has been putting my domains that are in redemption for sale using their own landers and their own marketing text. Is this even legal? How can they sell domains that could be recovered within the 30 day redemption period? It just doesn't seem like they're entitled to do that legally until after the redemption period. I asked their customer service 3 days ago and they haven't replied, so I'm asking here. I've never seen this before on any other host.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So the grace period can be up to 35 days. That doesn't say much.

What is the shortest in can be? That is more important.

For instance, what is the first day after expiration that Epik can offer the domain for sale and keep the proceeds, or just warehouse the domain because they see value in it?

Brad

As explained many times before, the default/standard grace period is 15 days. If folks needs more time, they can:

1. Request a longer grace period

2. Request a domain lay-away where we renew it and hold in escrow.

3. Request a domain loan via our domain lending division, domainequity.com.

In some cases, they may prefer to:

1. Liquidate on NameLiquidate.com

2. Hire an Epik broker to get it sold, or help them improve cash flow via other domain sales.

There are options.

Our objective is to empower. Our mission statement is clear and very literally defines who we are and what we do, not cheesy rhetoric.

1654145362890.png

•••
As explained many times before, the default/standard grace period is 15 days. If folks needs more time, they can:

1. Request a longer grace period

2. Request a domain lay-away where we renew it and hold in escrow.

3. Request a domain loan via our domain lending division, domainequity.com.

In some cases, they may prefer to:

1. Liquidate on NameLiquidate.com

2. Hire an Epik broker to get it sold, or help them improve cash flow via other domain sales.

There are options.

Our objective is to empower. Our mission statement is clear and very literally defines who we are and what we do, not cheesy rhetoric.

Show attachment 216977

So the answer is (15) days then, which is well below industry standards for pretty much every well known registrar.

The "up to" stuff is a very poor way to phrase it.

Now people can decide if they think that (15) days is a reasonable time period for a registrar to attempt to sell their domain and keep the proceeds or simply warehouse their domain and keep it as their own.

To me that is not reasonable at all. If it was any other registrar with the same terms, I would find it unreasonable as well.

You could argue those terms are "empowering" Epik, not the registrants.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Can you point me to where in the TOS or "Domain Name Registration Agreement" that the (15) day redemption period is referred to directly? I can't seem to find it.

Epik.com Universal Terms of Service
https://www.epik.com/terms

Epik.com Domain Name Registration Agreement
https://www.epik.com/registration

There is also a reference to another file, which does not seem to exist -

5.5 Term and Grace Period

The term of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect as long as you have any domain name registered through Epik or as long as you are employing any Service(s). You agree that you will not transfer any domain name registered through Epik to another domain name registrar during the first sixty (60) calendar days from its initial registration date.. All domain registrations are final. Upon expiration of your domain, Epik may at its own discretion provide a grace period during which the domain can be renewed. After the grace period, the domain, if eligible, may be recovered via the domain redemption process. For more information, see - Expired Registration Recovery Policy

That link to the "Expired Registration Recovery Policy" returns a 404 error.

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot is the best, period.

•••
According to ICANN
https://icannwiki.org/Expired_Regis...CANN put into,accidental loss of domain names.

1. Redemption Grace Period
    3.1. With the exception of sponsored gTLD registries, all gTLD registries must offer a Redemption Grace Period ("RGP") of 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration, during which time the deleted registration may be restored at the request of the RAE by the registrar that deleted it. Registrations deleted during a registry's add-grace period, if applicable, should not be subject to the RGP.
    3.2. During the Redemption Grace Period, the registry must disable DNS resolution and prohibit attempted transfers of the registration. ICANN-approved bulk transfers and permitted partial bulk transfers are not subject to the prohibition of attempted transfers. The registry must also clearly indicate in its Whois result for the registration that it is in its Redemption Grace Period.
    3.3. Registrars must permit the RAE to redeem a deleted registration during RGP (if RGP is offered by the respective registry).

•••
Can you point me to where in the TOS or "Domain Name Registration Agreement" that the (15) day redemption period is referred to directly? I can't seem to find it.

Epik.com Universal Terms of Service
https://www.epik.com/terms

Epik.com Domain Name Registration Agreement
https://www.epik.com/registration

There is also a reference to another file, which does not seem to exist -

5.5 Term and Grace Period

The term of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect as long as you have any domain name registered through Epik or as long as you are employing any Service(s). You agree that you will not transfer any domain name registered through Epik to another domain name registrar during the first sixty (60) calendar days from its initial registration date.. All domain registrations are final. Upon expiration of your domain, Epik may at its own discretion provide a grace period during which the domain can be renewed. After the grace period, the domain, if eligible, may be recovered via the domain redemption process. For more information, see - Expired Registration Recovery Policy

That link to the "Expired Registration Recovery Policy" returns a 404 error.
The deleted (404) page is on The Way Back Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2021030...port/faq/expired-registration-recovery-policy

•••
I wonder why that page was removed?

From that page -

What happens to Domains that are expired
-

Domains that are expired may at our discretion be granted a grace period. By default Epik offers a 15-day grace period starting on the listed expiration date. During this time, the DNS of the domain is updated, thereby disabling the customer’s host records. To restore the prior DNS settings, the customer must renew the domain or complete a transfer the domain to another registrar.

What happens to expired domains
-

After the discretionary grace period the customer’s domain is deleted from their account. In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date. In the case, where the domain are still eligible to be recovered a restoration fee is assessed.

•••
I don't see how this -

Epik Policy (from deleted page) -

Domains that are expired may at our discretion be granted a grace period. By default Epik offers a 15-day grace period starting on the listed expiration date. During this time, the DNS of the domain is updated, thereby disabling the customer’s host records. To restore the prior DNS settings, the customer must renew the domain or complete a transfer the domain to another registrar.

is in compliance with this -

ICANN Policy -

3.1. With the exception of sponsored gTLD registries, all gTLD registries must offer a Redemption Grace Period ("RGP") of 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration, during which time the deleted registration may be restored at the request of the RAE by the registrar that deleted it. Registrations deleted during a registry's add-grace period, if applicable, should not be subject to the RGP.
3.2. During the Redemption Grace Period, the registry must disable DNS resolution and prohibit attempted transfers of the registration. ICANN-approved bulk transfers and permitted partial bulk transfers are not subject to the prohibition of attempted transfers. The registry must also clearly indicate in its Whois result for the registration that it is in its Redemption Grace Period.
3.3. Registrars must permit the RAE to redeem a deleted registration during RGP (if RGP is offered by the respective registry).

Either way, the thing to understand here is Epik's (15) day RGP is far lower than almost all, if not all, other major registrars in the field.

Also, Epik needs to clearly state their policy in their TOS. The only reference to the (15) day RGP appears to be on that since deleted page.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have email proof of the the complaint and response from staff, but not of how soon the domains were thrown up for sale (I remember it happening *before* the redemption period) ... This was happening for MONTHS. I felt swindled lol....

It's by FAR not the worst registrar though - that title goes to SAV.com forcing you to renew domains you don't want to and denying you a refund. Also denying you the ability to remove your card saying "its a bug we are working on" 😂 shameless SCAMMER! Don't touch @Sav.com if you don't already have names with them. I worry that they could just take my names at any time that's how sketchy they are.
We're sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at Sav. Regarding your ability to receive a refund for renewed domains, we recently announced a new feature in our renewal policy. Now, if you delete a domain within 5 days of the renewal period, you will be fully refunded for the renewal.

We are focused on providing the best experience possible for our users. If you have any other suggestions, please let us know so we can continue to grow to meet our customers' needs.

•••
@Rob Monster why is in-store credit withdrawal not allowed? I recently deposited some funds for some service at epik , epik couldn't deliver the service, a refund for sent to my in-store credit , when I contacted epik's support on the withdrawal, i was told "Epik does not allow withdrawal of in-store credit" WHY???

•••

Since the subject of redemption periods, expired auctions, and warehousing came up in this thread...

Dynadot “We value our investor customers, which is why we do not want to compete with them or misuse their data”​

https://tldinvestors.com/2022/06/dynadot-transparency-and-trust.html

Transparency​

Many of the most popular registrars today have their own domain portfolios, cherry-picking the best expiring domains for themselves. This causes their customers to lose valuable domains to their own registrar.
“Dynadot has never owned a portfolio of domain names,” explains Dynadot’s Founder and President, Todd Han. “We value our investor customers, which is why we do not want to compete with them or misuse their data.” All expired domains at Dynadot are auctioned off or deleted, and not having a portfolio allows our customers to access all the best domain names.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/blog/dynadot-difference-trust-transparency-stability.html

Kudos to Dynadot. They don't keep their own customer's domains for themselves, and all expired domains go via the same path. There is no need for "usually".

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They actually proactively try to sell expired domains that may, or may not, be recoverable by the registrant.

Last year I put in an enquiry about a domain, not owned by them but the owner was using their landers. No deal was made.

Months later their sales team reached out offering it for sale... Fun fact, the domain was now expired and showing their make offer landing...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back