Dynadot

CamRoulette.com sells for $151,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The funny thing is, if the guy who regged it would have asked for an appraisal for CamRoulette.com here on NamePros, I am almost positive that every appraisal would have been "reg fee" or maybe mid $XX...

•••
I highly doubt anyone here is going to believe me and I don't know why I want to embarrass myself like this when I've posted on another forum claiming it wouldn't be mentioned outside, but I hand-registered CamRoulette.com @ Dynadot on December 12th, the day I heard about ChatRoulette. My original idea was to recreate a clone site, but that fell off. Months passed and nothing happened. On the same day I received about 3 offers for the domain, ranging from $400-$1200. I talked a bid up to $1400 and I sold the domain. A month later the guy I sold it to sold that domain for $151,000. That's going to be a life lesson.

I'm a 20 year-old affiliate marketer and that was my first dabble in the domain game. I had no idea something like that could happen and it is extremely hurtful and depressing to look back on it, I thought nothing could have really come of the domain. That's an amazing sale by Adam and although I do regret this more than almost anything in my life, it gives me a little bit of hope.

You have handled this whole event like a gentleman and a professional. I think you will do just fine in the industry. Kudos!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

i am just as interested in the sales venue , i have not heard of it , can anyone enlighten us about dm2 ?

This might help:
DomainConsultant.com

Run by the cream of the crop in the industry imo.

•••
I highly doubt anyone here is going to believe me and I don't know why I want to embarrass myself like this when I've posted on another forum claiming it wouldn't be mentioned outside, but I hand-registered CamRoulette.com @ Dynadot on December 12th, the day I heard about ChatRoulette. My original idea was to recreate a clone site, but that fell off. Months passed and nothing happened. On the same day I received about 3 offers for the domain, ranging from $400-$1200. I talked a bid up to $1400 and I sold the domain. A month later the guy I sold it to sold that domain for $151,000. That's going to be a life lesson.

I'm a 20 year-old affiliate marketer and that was my first dabble in the domain game. I had no idea something like that could happen and it is extremely hurtful and depressing to look back on it, I thought nothing could have really come of the domain. That's an amazing sale by Adam and although I do regret this more than almost anything in my life, it gives me a little bit of hope.

even if this is true, its hard to be down just because it was sold more..
think about it, what if someone buys it for $300,000 in a few months time, no one knows..

domain goes up in value during time.. time tells.

•••
You have handled this whole event like a gentleman and a professional. I think you will do just fine in the industry. Kudos!

My sentiments exactly.

•••
The funny thing is, if the guy who regged it would have asked for an appraisal for CamRoulette.com here on NamePros, I am almost positive that every appraisal would have been "reg fee" or maybe mid $XX...

Possibly, but not because the appraisers are good, most appraisers on NamePros are rookies themselves. The domainers who have a real idea of potential value don't usually look through the appraisal forum.

In regards to the sales. All I can say is "ouch".

•••
The real questions is how many domainers would have spend $1400 on this name. not too many

•••
The real questions is how many domainers would have spend $1400 on this name. not too many

Yeah, timing is everything.

•••

Reality is you really have to know your stuff and have a good sense of the market.

Even more important a question to ask would be: how many domainers could have flipped this for over 100k? Only a very elite few. Odds are this would have been sold and resold on these forums for a few x,xxx. If someone with Adam's insight and experience didn't take a big event and make the domain public you wouldn't have any such regrets. But luck played on his side as it certainly could for you in the future.

Last edited:
•••
The last time I checked, a domain name sale included getting paid and the domain changing ownership.

I see people posting "SOLD" but the simple fact is the only time CamRoulette.com sold is the $1,400.

The auction may have ending for $151K but Pizza.com "sold" on Sedo ($2.6M) and we all know what happened with that! It really sold later but not for the reported price in the first place.

Yes, the CamRoulette.com domain auction ended for $151K but has not sold yet. Once the domain is paid for and transfers ownership.. then I would say it sold.

•••
Don't sweat it Hyphen. When you're on the Adam side of a transaction like this, it will all even out.

•••
The last time I checked, a domain name sale included getting paid and the domain changing ownership.

I see people posting "SOLD" but the simple fact is the only time CamRoulette.com sold is the $1,400.

The auction may have ending for $151K but Pizza.com "sold" on Sedo ($2.6M) and we all know what happened with that! It really sold later but not for the reported price in the first place.

Yes, the CamRoulette.com domain auction ended for $151K but has not sold yet. Once the domain is paid for and transfers ownership.. then I would say it sold.

EXACTLY.....sold in the domain world dont mean S&^% until money is paid and domain is transfered, other wise it could be still a good sale at $1400 for you!

•••
Jamie is right for the most part. This domain has not been sold as of yet, and countless auctions are never completed. BUT, clearly there is a much greater demand for this domain name than the OP ever realized. The several offers should have indicated the potential for value.

The bidders who also managed to drive the price to $xxx,xxx - also clearly identified the value. Even if the domain doesn't complete this sale, Adam made a great investment that will likely result in a huge return.

•••
I'd like to give a big fat "attaboy" to Hyphen. How many of you out there can say you flipped your first hand reg for $1400? Some domainers have been at it for years and are yet to figure out what constitutes a "good" domain name.
Hyphen, imo gets it. He went with his gut. Even though it was only an $8 bet, it was a bet nonetheless.
Keep your momentum going and you will for sure be on the "adam" side of a deal sooner than you think!

Cheers

•••
thanks winfreecash , it's the first i had heard of domainmadness

•••
It’s the kind of sale that we all dream about. You pickup a name for cheap, an internet sensation builds up with a name similar and then you sell for big bucks. With ChatRoulette the hottest thing on the Internet it was no surprise that the traffic and value of CamRoulette.com had skyrocketed but nobody knew it had this value. The DomainMadness 2 auction proved it today with the final price of the CamRoulette auction reaching $151,000. In some ways it’s a better name the ChatRoulette because it’s really is a Cam Roulette. Then again it’s also a video roulette and that only sold for $5K . I say ONLY>

•••
Camroulette.com is now an active sight... girls on cam. I would definitely NOT go out and buy up every (word)roulette.com name. They buyers of camroulette.com had a very specific purpose for the name and it is perfectly suited for the business they wanted to create.

•••
I can only concur with everyone else: You regged a domain by hand and sold it for $xxxx. Not many can do that. You should feel proud of yourself and not feel beaten up. The domain likely wouldn't be worth $2,000 in a year or 2 (unless the site takes off and STAYS that way...)

•••
@Hypen:

I'm suprised that no one calculated this:

ROI

- Hypen: 7,50 $ / 1400 $ = 18500 %
- Adam: 1400 $ / 151000 $ = 10600 %
:imho:

so first sale have much better ROI ...

---

•••
Actually I think this is legit. Have you heard of the recent (crappy) phenomenon sweeping the internet called ChatRoullette? It gets 20,000+ uniqes at a single time. CamRoulette is in many ways a more better name and it seems someone coughed up a lot of money for this. A lot of other tlds are taken now too.

CamRoulette was reportedly getting 700 uniques a day earning $10-15.

Just a fad that will fade away imo.

I have heard about this fad. South Park did a parody on this trend in one of their recent episodes. Congrats to the seller. That is a nice sum of money.

•••
Well the sale is now confirmed at DNJournal.com as well and the domain has been transferred. The site is live. Seems like these guys had specific purpose in their mind to pay that much for the domain. I guess if the site takes off they will probably make that money back in a matter of couple of months. Kudos to all the sellers and probably even the end user buyers if they end up making millions from it.

Now this is def one of the rare stories...

•••
Yup - its up with Adult Content. I suppose I should have expected that.

•••
It does not even rank top for its keyword. The .co.uk version has it.

•••
I just noticed that the website sitting on this domain is live and, as I and mostly everyone else expected, it will be the adult counterpart to ChatRoulette. I did my share of searching to see if there were any major stories about the release on Google and a couple stories pointed to this thread so that has directed me back here. One of the articles I caught up on even referenced me by my full name (Craig Snyder) in the sale to Adam Strong, that surprised me.

However, I'm long past this event and it is definitely a learning experience. I exchanged emails with Adam until he eventually became unresponsive, it didn't seem in his plans to toss me a couple dollars or provide any compensation after the sale was finalized, but that's absolutely up to him and his choice, and I respect that. He owes me nothing, he made this transaction.

I appreciate the kind words from you guys and I'm going to continue to dabble around the domain name game. Whenever breaking news hits or a see an interesting site pop up, my first thought is to run and check if a particular domain is available now, it's funny. The ROI statistics I saw earlier in this thread were nice to see also, and I wish the best to Adam and the new owner of the fully-functional CamRoulette.com. I'll always feel a little attachment to the "roulette" domain game, even if it's for a reason I'd be better off forgetting.
:P

It's back to lurking now for me! I'll be sure to update you guys on any more terrible mistakes I make along the way.

•••
Just stay away from TMs and you'll do fine. I can sense greatness in you :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back