NameSilo

Buying/Selling - Is it Time to Quit Domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys,

Anyone notice a significant DECREASE in offers being made for domains now??

Thanks!
SDX

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everybody's selling, nobody's buying. Well, almost.

•••
Since New Years, inquiries have gone from few to virtually none.

Some of the slowdown is cyclical, but this definitely seems far worse than years past.

I've got a bunch of domains for sale pinned in Fixed Price forum right now - and after several days only gotten two serious offers, one of which became a sale.

On the bright side, for those buying, they're getting deals like never before.

Ron

•••
There will be an Obama bounce effect for three or four months, where most people will be liulled into thinking the economy is improving and WAll ST rallies again for a short while.

That time frame will see new domain sales. So if you are thinking of selling you may want to sell into that rally.

Then the shit really hits the fan.

•••
We have to remember...

Our domain names are one of a kind!

totally unique...

unlike the counterfeit cotton fiat paper money the privately owned federal reserve continues to print by the truckloads....

•••
This is a buyers market and will be for sometime imho. The economy is not going to recover anytime soon. I think for the next few years and maybe beyond, the smart domainer will hold and look for buying opportunities.

•••
neobodhi said:
This is a buyers market
I can indeed tell you the market is great for buyers now :blink:
There are incredible bargains to be found, and I'm talking about the usual domain sources. They are right in front of you :tu:

•••
sdsinc said:
There are incredible bargains to be found, and I'm talking about the usual domain sources. They are right in front of you :tu:

I concur.

•••
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

goodkarmaco said:
There will be an Obama bounce effect for three or four months, where most people will be liulled into thinking the economy is improving and WAll ST rallies again for a short while.

That time frame will see new domain sales. So if you are thinking of selling you may want to sell into that rally.

Then the shit really hits the fan.

As for bargains... I see a lot of people saying bargains are everywhere, however I don't see a whole lot of people putting their money where their mouth is. I wouldn't call General Motors stock a bargain, despite it being much lower than it was a year ago.

•••
-REECE- said:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

As for bargains... I see a lot of people saying bargains are everywhere, however I don't see a whole lot of people putting their money where their mouth is. I wouldn't call General Motors stock a bargain, despite it being much lower than it was a year ago.

This is kind of how I feel also Reece...but it is true that I see much higher quality names for sale on the forums...for REASONABLE prices! :tu:
I think we can compare our Domain Market to the American Housing Market.
Names dropped in value, but only a few have money to buy these days.

•••
As a person who is slowly going into buy mode I think you guys want to keep selling at the old prices or prices you want. If you want to sell, lower your prices just like in any other market. I'm making about 10-15 purchases a week mostly of expired names because people still want ridiculous amounts for ho-hum domains.

•••
Buyers may not be coming to me as much, so I am going to potential buyers and having some great results.

Active rather than passive mode is really working.

•••
Buy Buy buy
One year down the road and you would regret being passive at this time.
The prices have never been lower (well in the recent past anyways)
, and an Investment for an year will fetch you hefty profits.
Also a time to increase the quality of your domains. Spend the same amount, only fetch better domains!

•••
Buy and buy

If the cash was available I'd be buying right now. I've seen some great deals available on various forums. Buy and assume you'll need to hold for at least 18 months.

•••
I would also buy domains but need to raise cash from alternative sources. Looking into development maybe.

•••
Alex said:
I would also buy domains but need to raise cash from alternative sources. Looking into development maybe.
Yes ^ If anything, start projects on your best domains.

It is a buyers market. Also, if you are willing to sell good domains to end users for non astronomical prices it is a good time to do that as well IMO. For example, you have been holding onto that really good (IYO) .com for a couple years now, you only had one end user ever interested but you told them you wanted $8,000 for it and they never replied. Well, unless you are going to develop or the domain gets awesome traffic and ppc, why not get back in contact with that potential buyer and settle for $800? Heck the name only cost you $20 in the aftermarket and 2 years renewal fee. With this money you could get dozens of really good names that people are selling off really cheap right now. Just a thought :zzz:

•••
"The end of an empire always comes when its currency is destroyed" - Ron Paul

The scarcity of a name is directly proportional to it's value. The value of the US dollar is constantly being evaporated due to the Federal Reserve's 24-hour printing press. The domaining business is being destroyed by the constant introduction of new TLDs and the exploitation of existing ccTLDs.

It's not time to quit domaining but innovation and adaptation are always neccessary in any business. For me, I'm now concentrating mostly on aged .coms registered in at least one other extension for sale in the aftermarket. Then hunting for end users in hopes of 50% returns or better.

•••
sdsinc said:

Exactly.

Many of the 2 word good names are going for 1/2 the prices now.

•••
Just got into this domaining thing.

Do feel it is good time to buy

•••
domainz123 said:
Do feel it is good time to buy

If you have the money, then there are lot's of bargains especially on auction sites & directly contacting domain owners.

•••
Yes got to agree with you

•••
domainz123 said:
Yes got to agree with you

Most of the owners are looking to sell as well. The parking arena is going down. The only other option is to develop, which many of them are not interested, as it requires time & money.

•••
Well i have heard sedo is the worst parking you can get.

They give out the lowest per click.

•••
Alex said:

Maybe? _\|/_

•••
domainz123 said:
Well i have heard sedo is the worst parking you can get.

They give out the lowest per click.

PARKED.COM is still the best overall imho! :kickass:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back