IT.COM

question Buying overpriced domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
There's a domain I want that's on undeveloped with a minimum offer of 3k. It's in my country's extension and is free in loads of common extensions. It's also an uncommon name with no wider meaning.

It's worth a few hundred at best, and that's pushing it.

What's the best way to approach? Offer 3k and then say not willing to pay that much when they get in contact? I'd use a throwaway email, so to avoid the silly "this is legally binding" nonsense on undeveloped.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All you can do is offer what you think it's worth (or lower!)

Do not make an offer that you are not willing to pay for - that in mind is unethical

•••
All you can do is offer what you think it's worth (or lower!)

Do not make an offer that you are not willing to pay for - that in mind is unethical

That's the problem. The system won't let me offer less than 3k. You just get an error message.

But I have no other way of getting in touch.

This isn't a case of me trying to be a cheapskate .. I've paid well over 3k for domains in the past. But this one really isn't worth anything near that, to anyone.

Last edited:
•••
That's the problem. The system won't let me offer less than 3k.

But I have no other way of getting in touch.
arghh sorry Should of known that......

Any Whois details?

•••
Check whois details of the domain, then mail him.

•••
if the seller has an undeveloped nickname you could try making contact through namepros.an undeveloped nickname isn't exactly a secret.a longshot i know.

•••
If you believe the seller's price expectations are unrealistic ($3000 minimum could mean they want $5k to $10k), and you are only willing to pay low $xxx for the domain, offering $3000 anonymously is not going to convince them their price expectations are out of whack. It is not only unethical but in violation of marketplace TOS. Failing to follow through will likely get you banned. Check and see if the domain is available in other marketplaces or just monitor it. If their entire portfolio is overpriced they will not sell many domains and will eventually have to come down to reality.

•••
They are listed as a private seller, so absolutely no detail of other domains or ability to message them

No whois data available.

Domain not listed on any other market place.

Have looked on and off for months, but the only feasible method of contact is via undeveloped and no way in hell am I paying 3k.

•••
If there is no other way . . .

I get offers from time to time and I never have high expectations. Deals can fall apart at any time. You aren’t messing up an auction. Send him the 3k offer and start the conversation. If not willing to accept 3k himself once he counters you are off the hook legally.

Sure it’s murky waters but if you explained that to me I might still say no to your offer but hey it’s business.

•••
Plus other than auctions it seems people are free to change their minds and even return most items purchased. Not everything ofcourse.

•••
If there is no other way . . .

I get offers from time to time and I never have high expectations. Deals can fall apart at any time. You aren’t messing up an auction. Send him the 3k offer and start the conversation. If not willing to accept 3k himself once he counters you are off the hook legally.

Sure it’s murky waters but if you explained that to me I might still say no to your offer but hey it’s business.
personally if I set a min offer and someone tried this on me I would make it clear to that party they are taking the piss.....

But hey, that's just me........If you go down this route @whenpillarsfall let us know how it pans out......

•••
There's a domain I want that's on undeveloped with a minimum offer of 3k. It's in my country's extension and is free in loads of common extensions. It's also an uncommon name with no wider meaning.

What's the best way to approach? Offer 3k and then say not willing to pay that much when they get in contact? I'd use a throwaway email, so to avoid the silly "this is legally binding" nonsense on undeveloped.

I get your point to an extent but I hate when people say loosely quoted more available in other extensions to register so I should ask for a price reduction. Like who cares? You want the .com always, if not, something very similiar (.net / org). This is the mindset that gTLD's are trying to create. Even the best gTLD is not equal to a comparable .com imho. King has clout, authority, and recognition. It's best to always strive for that one at all times.

Last edited:
•••

Reach out to undeveloped.com and they can speak to them

•••
If someone submits an offer on a domain and then says oh sorry I am only willing to pay 10% of that, how likely is it the seller will respond, with "fine the domain is yours" ?

•••
Reach out to undeveloped.com and they can speak to them
Again, if this happened to me I would be asking Undeveloped what business is it of yours?

I am using their platform and have set my prices and then get the platform reaching out and saying a low ball offer has come in - My response? Minimum price is set, go away and don't interfere......wait for your commission (if and when it happens)

•••

It is just your opinion that it is overpriced. Value is subjective.

Just because you don't see the value doesn't mean others won't.

I doubt anyone is going to take 10% of a minimum offer.
If you don't think the domain is worth that range then I would just move on.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Contact them thru customer service on the site, if your Country is the UK, well that is a pretty populated region.

•••
Why is everyone making this more difficult than it needs to be?

•••
Have looked on & off for months, & just created a thread about it, asking for help..

Why do you want it so bad if it is such a mediocre domain?

I wouldn't want Undeveloped contacting me with lowballs when i've set a minimum offer.

Its not nonsense, you shouldn't be making offers you don't intend to honor.

That's why I love BINs..

•••
He wants retail prices (you call that "overpriced" because you're a domainer) but you want to pay liquidation prices. This deal is unlikely to happen.

Move on. After all, it's just a worthless domain, right ;)

Last edited:
•••
try to send offer through domainagents.com, i have received few offers in the past for domains with privacy through domainagents

•••
try to send offer through domainagents.com, i have received few offers in the past for domains with privacy through domainagents

But doesn't that just add another $20 to the price of an already worthless domain? :)

•••
I've paid well over 3k for domains in the past. But this one really isn't worth anything near that, to anyone.

It isn't worth anywhere near 3k for anyone and you have been on it for months? For the fact you have been on this domain for months, looking for every possible means to contact the owner, means the domain is worth more. Except you're an idi*t who goes about hunting craps?

Everyone has the right to set the price for their domain names. All you'd do in this regard is buy or walk

•••
It isn't worth anywhere near 3k for anyone and you have been on it for months? For the fact you have been on this domain for months, looking for every possible means to contact the owner, means the domain is worth more. Except you're an idi*t who goes about hunting craps?

Everyone has the right to set the price for their domain names. All you'd do in this regard is buy or walk

It got my attention because it nearly dropped and I saw it in a drop list. Renewed at last minute. It was only registered for the first time in 2011, and has been dropped countless times since. I think this guy hand registered it in 2018. It really is not worth 3k.

I suspect the guy will probably just drop it next year, and I'll pick it up for renewal cost.

I don't lose any sleep over this. I'd like the domain, and I'd pay something for it, but it's not that important to me.

People here seem to get so touchy when people debate the value of a domain. Ultimately this guy has probably just missed out on about 500 bucks because of silly pricing.

Last edited:
•••
Well without any of us knowing the domain. Its difficult for any of us to agree with your self-interest valuation or your assertion of "Silly Pricing". So you have to expect some to think your approach of Offering-then-retracting as unacceptable. You stated you'd use a throw away email address, so your already of the mindset that its wrong in the first place.

You asked the question and got your answers - So don't be touchy yourself, as you say just put it on a watch-list and wait things out. Maybe also ask yourself just how disappointed you'd be if you see the domain sold - and reevaluate

Personally, I'd be well pissed-off if someone created a fake-offer just to come in with a subsequent 10-20% offer. I may be forgiving if it was around 80% I think most of us that list at high (?) fixed prices aren't that fussed about frequent sales. but are fed-up with constant low offers, The 10% low-ballers

Last edited:
•••
Back