Buyers remorse and not paying for auction wins

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

It's frustrating. It's devastating.

Was hoping to hear from some people that have felt this way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
6GROm.gif
LOL

•••
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

Lol wow bro, if you feel bad for not paying, I imagine the seller feels like sh*t for not being paid, being that someone AGREED to pay him by bidding, but refusing to pay. Not judging you, but that's one of (if not) the worst thing you can do in this industry is be a non-payer...voluntarily. It's a expensive lesson to learn, but you must take that on the hip!

Your reputation, honesty and integrity in this business means everything. Not owning up to your payment will not make for good bridges in this industry... Just my $0.02...

•••
The funny thing is, the domain you welched on might be valuable at some point. Doesn't really matter, cause a deal is a deal.

Here's a tip for you though, you should stick to buying domains a Dynadot, cause they have a grace period to change your mind after you buy (and pay for) a domain. You can return it for a small fee.

Don't do that here on NP though. Honor is what it's about here.

•••
I'd be quite worried about any poster who acts like domaining is a noble cause free from any corruption, or wrong doings. News flash: All the big players in the industry do it. Says a lot about the industry. Cheat, lie, scam, squander, shill bid. It's all fair game. But admitting a slight miscalculation is not. I'd be more worried about the posters who are quick to attack others when they have likely done things much much worse that they are scared to talk about. For that poster saying "be a man" at least I had the balls to talk about my mistake. I'm sure you have made far worse ones that you are too scared to talk about.

•••
I'd be quite worried about any poster who acts like domaining is a noble cause free from any corruption, or wrong doings. News flash: All the big players in the industry do it. Says a lot about the industry. Cheat, lie, scam, squander, shill bid. It's all fair game. But admitting a slight miscalculation is not. I'd be more worried about the posters who are quick to attack others when they have likely done things much much worse that they are scared to talk about. For that poster saying "be a man" at least I had the balls to talk about my mistake. I'm sure you have made far worse ones that you are too scared to talk about.

You have no idea how others conduct business, so don't even go there.

You are just rationalizing for your own bad behavior.

So get off your high horse and quit before you get even more way behind.

•••
BS detected, DomainSoup’s on the wind-up and everyone’s biting.

•••
You have no idea how others conduct business, so don't even go there.

You are just rationalizing for your own bad behavior.

So get off your high horse and quit before you get even more way behind.

I'm not saying everyone is bad. I'm saying almost everyone here has a domaining mistake that would be considered bad if they publicly admitted it.

As for others...if you really want me to post a list of all the domainers publicly accused of wrongdoings....The list is so long I can't post it all. But search your favorite domainer/domain company and they usually come up.

•••
Yes, in this case.

There's nothing saying bidder 2 won't do the same thing.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the 2nd bidder is just trolling. As other people are offering XX and he is forcing me to bid XXXX. No one else is interested in bidding more than $30 and there are a lot of other bidders.

Sorry but that is troll or shill bids.

Leave the damn domain then, if it's more than you can afford or than you think it is worth then STOP bidding.

•••
I'm not saying everyone is bad. I'm saying almost everyone here has a domaining mistake that would be considered bad if they publicly admitted it.

As for others...if you really want me to post a list of all the domainers publicly accused of wrongdoings....The list is so long I can't post it all. But search your favorite domainer/domain company and they usually come up.

In my country we have a saying. It equates to roughly "the thief thinks every man steals". Everybody makes mistakes, its how you react to them that define you.

My first year of domaining I bid more than I was able to pay. In my case it was more multiple auctions ending at the same time all with me as a winner, resulting in liquidity problems. I did everything I could to come up with that money and succeeded by using some unconventional methods to say the least. But all above the board.

I know a great number of other domainers that value their integrity and business reputation to a large degree. So I dont think that there are that many that behave such as yourself. As you can see you have created quite the stir.

•••
Yes, in this case.

There's nothing saying bidder 2 won't do the same thing.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the 2nd bidder is just trolling. As other people are offering XX and he is forcing me to bid XXXX. No one else is interested in bidding more than $30 and there are a lot of other bidders.

Sorry but that is troll or shill bids.
Who the heck is forcing you to bid anything?? You should only bid up to the amount that you're willing to pay, and if you get caught up in the heat of the moment and go over your maximum, like Ali said... you man up and pay it. Period.

What's really frustrating is knowing I'm bidding in auctions against people like you who aren't serious about the bids they are placing. If I beat you in an auction you're potentially making me have to pay hundreds more when you were just playing games.

You sir are the troll.

•••
News flash: All the big players in the industry do it. Says a lot about the industry. Cheat, lie, scam, squander, shill bid. It's all fair game.

and you have proof of this I assume? Yeah thought not, dont say others do it when you havent got a clue, even if they did, does that make it ok? Does that make it right? If I was in a shop and saw somene shoplifting and getting away ith it, does that mean I can go and do it and its ok? Think about what you are saying?

As for others...if you really want me to post a list of all the domainers publicly accused of wrongdoings....The list is so long I can't post it all.

I say go ahead, if you are copying and pasting from Google, its public knowledge already so the chances are their rep is in tatters anyway.

•••
Who the heck is forcing you to bid anything?? You should only bid up to the amount that you're willing to pay, and if you get caught up in the heat of the moment and go over your maximum, like Ali said... you man up and pay it. Period.

What's really frustrating is knowing I'm bidding in auctions against people like you who aren't serious about the bids they are placing. If I beat you in an auction you're potentially making me have to pay hundreds more when you were just playing games.

You sir are the troll.

This is a major issue today, people are bidding, and outbidding with money they don't have.

They will bid you in $5 increments to bump your bid to the max bid, then bail, the house absolutely loves them that is why they will not hold them accountable with a username, as their pattern will be exposed.

•••
You say you were forced, they were shill bidders, it was rigged.....I call BS on that. You mentioned everything accept that YOU are responsible for your own behavior. Your the victim in your own eyes. You even started this post wanting our sympathy but cry out again as the victim when the majority of posters say you should do the right and manly thing and pay up.

The buyer is responsible, just like any of us buying anything in life, to read and understand those terms and know how the system works BEFORE engaging that system. They enter that bid or offer voluntarily and without coercion. At that time they are obligated to complete the transaction. They have given their word.

It comes down to integrity and being people of our word. As a society we need to all take a look at protecting our integrity and letting our word speak for itself. I am old enough to remember the days of “Hand Shake Deals” Once they shook hands it was a completed matter, no matter what.

I try to model this behavior and found myself on the hard side of this a few months ago. I got involved in an auction for a name on Bido that I really thought I could turn for a profitable flip. However, it was closing shortly and I did not do my proper research on it and bid blindly. It was only AFTER I won it that I realized it was a typo and a poor one, at that. But I made the bids; I was responsible for my word. So I, painfully, paid for it and took ownership. You might see it on the drop lists some day.

As an industry, the only way we can get over the bad reputation is to begin acting with a sense of integrity in all of our dealings and being responsible for the actions we take in buying or selling. And this includes you too, @domainsoup

•••
OP is playing dumb and pretending he does not understand simple concepts.

I can not believe this thread is 5 pages long, what is there to discuss?

•••
Totally agree with Michael. The idea that someone else is somehow "forcing " you to bid is blame shifting. You weren't forced at all; you bid because you wanted to. Try not to ever embarrass yourself or let your integrity come into question for any one domain; there are always other deals to be had.

•••
Just to think that if your competitor did finally overbid you with you not intending to buy the name at the price, you would have costed him $x,xxx, while he could have gotten it for $xxx, if not for you...

Again, as in the example I provided previously, I got the name for $xxx, after I stopped bidding at $3K, because "the winner" did not pay. If he stopped at $2950, he could have costed me in excess of $2,500 with his stupid game... My lesson learned since then was that quit the auction, if it is 2-3 bidders, including you, that separated from the pack big amount ago, as it is either a) shill bidder(s); b) end user(s); c) fools thinking it is a game...

•••
I've overbid on a few domains. Some I lucked out and was outbid at the last second. Others I won and paid for.

Like others have said, your reputation is everything. And aside from that, how would you feel if someone decided they didn't want to pay you for an auction you listed? Probably wouldn't be too happy, so pay for the domain you won. It stings, but sometimes education and learning cost money. :)

•••
•••
I really want to know why you made this thread in the first place? What did you feel would come of this? Relief?

•••
•••
Can you name the domain name and what was your bid.

•••
One of my bidders on another auction did the same thing.

This is a HUGE lack of professionalism.
And another forum member to put on my "DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH" list.

•••
Just to think that if your competitor did finally overbid you with you not intending to buy the name at the price, you would have costed him $x,xxx, while he could have gotten it for $xxx, if not for you...

Again, as in the example I provided previously, I got the name for $xxx, after I stopped bidding at $3K, because "the winner" did not pay. If he stopped at $2950, he could have costed me in excess of $2,500 with his stupid game... My lesson learned since then was that quit the auction, if it is 2-3 bidders, including you, that separated from the pack big amount ago, as it is either a) shill bidder(s); b) end user(s); c) fools thinking it is a game...

Thanks. Really excellent advice. I'll keep that in mind.

•••

Was hoping to here from some people that have felt this way.

No one should be bidding on auctions that go out of their budget, but I can understand the gambling mindset many get into when bidding on domains. I believe many people are forgiving of such things within reason but you should work it out with the seller how to pay them. If you can't afford to pay them in full write an email to them and see if you can pay them over a set amount of weeks/months. That's better than not paying at all!

•••
....a few years ago on ebay there was a domain listed ,it was something like italianluckycharn . com so I looked up the domain and the this wasent reg but italianluckycharm .com was it wasent a great name anyway,wont you know at the end of the auction the idiot goes and registers
italianluckycharn . com the wrong way and pushes it to me ,I paid 99 cents for it and this guy goes out and spends 12 bucks to reg a wrong name ,in the end he offered me the correct one ,I told him just keep it.
love it... some people are just mentally challenged and keep inventing workarounds instead of actually putting in work.... They can spend 10 X - 100 X as much time and effort and sometimes money :) - on something they think is a workaround - SCAM, which may or may not work, vs spending their time learning something new, do their work (research, etc) and invest their funds this way... Win or loose - you learned something new, you moved somewhere else, you come out better...

It's crazy how many people don't realize that their biggest asset by a mile - is their time on this planet...

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back