Buyers remorse and not paying for auction wins

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

It's frustrating. It's devastating.

Was hoping to hear from some people that have felt this way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What happen was the OP was trying to guess the under bidder's max bid, and then got burned.

Your opinion on enduser value not the same as others.

And dont assume endusers or their reps dont bid on these sales platforms.

•••
One thing I hate in this business is people who bid and don't pay up! If you ain't payin then you shouldn't be playin!

•••
I'm just thinking... Why did OP create this thread? He's going to get slaughtered. :P

•••
What happen was the OP was trying to guess the under bidder's max bid, and then got burned.

Your opinion on enduser value not the same as others.

And dont assume endusers or their reps dont bid on these sales platforms.

it does not matter if its a guess or not

the only thing that matters is that no one hijacked his accont and placed bid for him

so wherever high or low it ended, it was his bid.

and as such he's accountable for it.

there is no point in saying someone else pushed it too high. unless he wanted to say something lame.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I wasn't justifying it, just explaining.

I didn't say you were justifying it.
we were both explaining it.

thnis thread should win the lamest post on np award

•••
Yes, in this case.

There's nothing saying bidder 2 won't do the same thing.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the 2nd bidder is just trolling. As other people are offering XX and he is forcing me to bid XXXX. No one else is interested in bidding more than $30 and there are a lot of other bidders.

Sorry but that is troll or shill bids.

Any bid means a contract, so if you bid, no matter how much is second and third bid, you have to pay.

There are some rare problems, like I had a problem last week with my credit card attached to paypal and I lost a good domain name, I wasn't able to pay a small sum and I lost a good investment, but for any sum I do not bid if I do not have money to pay for any domain, so i suggest you to do the same, if you do not have money don't bid man !

Also there are some other problems, like godaddy / flippa auctions where the prices are inflated artificially some times, from 30$ the price jump suddenly to 1000$ or so and the winners does not make payments and after 3-5 days they are selling same domain in other market.

And the latest are fuckers that they just bid and don't pay, they are slicks, their reputation is so low so anybody can smelt them.

So in what category do you integrate ?

If you bid pay for it no matter what, or go somewhere else !

•••
I'm just thinking... Why did OP create this thread? He's going to get slaughtered. :P

Yeah I underestimated how people would react

I realize there are domainers on here who hate people who mess up auctions.

I'm just pointing out that many auction platforms are rampant with price gouging. I don't see the point of paying higher than enduser price if I need to resell. It's my mistake but I really wanted to win the auction and bid more than I should.

•••
I'm just pointing out that many auction platforms are rampant with price gouging.
If you're talking about auctions with false bidding, it doesn't just take one person to do that. You're just as responsible for it.

•••
This is a huge issue as some major exchanges, people are playing with money they do not have.

They are playing with monopoly money shielded behind a user number, if they had to put their bids in deposit, I would say half the bids over at tdnam would be gone.

The exchanges really do not care, as in the end it is win win for them, as they just push the deeper pockets higher.

If you didn't do your homework, that is your problem, you need to pay for your bid, otherwise I suggest you leave the industry now, as you will never make a dime, as your ethics are just not good to begin with.

•••
I suggest you leave the industry now, as you will never make a dime, as your ethics are just not good to begin with.

Yeah, because the ethical standards in domaining are so high.

•••
Yeah, because the ethical standards in domaining are so high.
The majority of people I have dealt with have been honest, and straight up. More so than any other industry I have dealt with. I can't speak for your experiences.

•••
The majority of people I have dealt with have been honest, and straight up. More so than any other industry I have dealt with. I can't speak for your experiences.

You can say that about society and people in general. Ethical standards aren't high as we want it to be. That doesn't mean we become uncivilized and pessimistic.

•••
Like with some other posters here, i've also bid on countless auctions sometimes for big money where as soon as the auction ends I take a look and say "what was I thinking". Sometimes I thought I liked the name and realise the second the auction is over I hate it, or overpaid for it, got carried away etc.

I always pay regardless and if I made a mistake I jolly well pay up and try and be more careful in future.
We all make mistakes like this no matter how experienced we are, it happens.

You just need to live with it and pay up and move forward.

•••
Yeah I underestimated how people would react

I realize there are domainers on here who hate people who mess up auctions.

I'm just pointing out that many auction platforms are rampant with price gouging. I don't see the point of paying higher than enduser price if I need to resell. It's my mistake but I really wanted to win the auction and bid more than I should.

lol
mess up auctions?

this is not about you messing up auctions. it's about you being banned from every available auction site including this one here, if you make a habit out of this. which would in turn and in essence nearly terminate your domaining venture. unless that's what you want.

Last edited:
•••
Some domain auction sites allow you to retract your bid before it sales, we do. Login and retract. Sometimes you may have second thoughts, or not in the right state to be spending money, I understand. It's really a good feature IMO.

If you had a way to back out but didn't then that's a different story.. ;)

I won't be using your auction site.

•••
•••
At Pool, I had a domain on my backorder list, probably thinking that in the unlikely event that Pool would catch it, others would outbid me.

Well, Pool did catch it, and no one else bid on it, so guess what? I was on the hook.

My credit card had expired, so Pool was in the process of banning me, totally understandable.

I updated my card and emailed Pool support and said that I would honor my bid (no whining and carrying on). So they were cool with that.

So that's what happened. I paid and got the domain. I didn't really want the name, but I realized that it was ON ME to keep my backorder lists in order.

Pool didn't make me place this domain on my backorder list, LOL!!!

I think it's the same concept: DON'T bid on an auction unless you are willing to pay for it.

•••
lol
mess up auctions?

this is not about you messing up auctions. it's about you being banned from every available auction site including this one here, if you make a habit out of this. which would in turn and in essence nearly terminate your domaining venture. unless that's what you want.

I love how a guy who's been member for a year tries to play mod.

I ain't banned anywhere. Godaddy doesn't ban you. They just fine you. Most places do that as well. As for here...the auctions are for XX usually and are pretty transparent. I have no issue with those.

•••
I love how a guy who's been member for a year tries to play mod.

I ain't banned anywhere. Godaddy doesn't ban you. They just fine you. Most places do that as well. As for here...the auctions are for XX usually and are pretty transparent. I have no issue with those.

lol
yeah, you're darn right I'm not the mod cause if I was your face would never show on namepros again

•••
lol
yeah, you're darn right I'm not the mod cause if I was your face would never show on namepros again
Because honesty is such a terrible thing.
I love how I get slack for being honest about my situation.

Remember for the last 15 or so years Adam Dicker was one of the most respected domainers if not the most in the entire industry.

•••

Remember for the last 15 or so years Adam Dicker was one of the most respected domainers if not the most in the entire industry.

looks like honesty is only good when you employ it
when I or others reply to you in same honest way, you don't take it too well.

I got no problem with honesty. and my honest opinion is you should not make habit of what you did. that's all but you do what you want. and then deal with results.

•••
Sometimes being honest is not good. In this case, it could cost you heavily in your investment opportunities.

•••
I won't be using your auction site.

I agree that if he was the winner he should man up and pay like many have said. But whats wrong with a bid retraction feature before an auction ends? Maybe I should remove the feature but isn't it better to retract than default and not pay for the auction?

Can't users contact GoDaddy and the larger sites and tell them to remove a bid they made a mistake before the auction ends? Maybe not, I'm not sure...

•••

Some things are better left un-said.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back