Buyers remorse and not paying for auction wins

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

It's frustrating. It's devastating.

Was hoping to hear from some people that have felt this way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good Luck bidding on future domains @domainsoup.

Don't ruin your reputation. Before you know it you'll have somebody like Kramer bidding on domains you want if your name gets flagged in marketplaces.

giphy.gif

•••
I read this thread 50 times and still don't understand the reason for this thread?

•••
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

The important point I see is that YOU bid. I agree with what others have stated: "you should pay" - "man up" - "reputation on the line" etc, however the root issue I see is:

Why bid a price you are not happy paying?

This is potentially: Unprofessional, silly, stupid, reckless, careless, unethical, not giving a turd for other people who now have to relist and who will possibly miss out on all the previous bids as people knew what it was bid up to and so don't bother this time.

In fact, ironically you stated your worries of "other bids could be shill" when yours turned out to be a fake bid. So what if none of the other bids were shill? You then were the only one with a fake bid.

Honestly, we all make mistakes, but logging in to a website with username and password, finding a domain name, clicking "bid", typing a value into a form box, and clicking "enter" is not a mistake!

I haven't disliked your post as you already have plenty of those, and (weirdly, I think) also because you owned up. I'm not saying owning up makes it ok whatsoever, not even a little bit, but it's interesting you come forward publicly with something you must have known you'd be chastised for on a pure domaining forum.
For that reason, I have to throw psychology 101 at you and claim you know you did wrong and feel bad and wanted a bit of online kicking.

Seriously, don't bid on a price you don't want to pay.

•••
Surely half-man up would suffice ;)

I read this thread 50 times and still don't understand the reason for this thread?
Ah, your mistake there is simply that you need to read it 51 times...

If that doesn't help, then consider this thread as "bat country" and you can't stop here ;)

•••

Last edited:
•••
This story is terrible. If you can't afford to pay then why did you bid? I hope I don't have to deal with people like this in this industry.

•••
Hello

Pay up and then learn from your mistake. You reputation is everything in business and its not worth damaging it for a sale.i cant tell you how many mistakes ive made over this last year i bid on things by mistake ive over paid for domains ive caught domains that where spelled wrong i won a few domains i didn't want.

•••
@domainsoup Forget the rules, who cares if it's illegal, don't worry about reputation you can always create a new account, just think about what's right.

•••
In the beginning of my domain career I brought a lot of garbage and it ended up in the dumpster, but my ratings around are @ 100% and I feel good about it.

•••

I'll try to explain:

First the set up.

The OP is trying to buy domains at what he feels is reasonable reseller value.

Yet when he bids on domains at auction, the final hammer price ends above that range he considers domainer profitable. So 'crazy' are these prices, even if one held the domain for a decade waiting for prices to go up, they will not be able to recover their money selling them.

He has this problem because of us, his competition.

If only 'we' would be as good at evaluating domain value and using restrain, we would not push auction prices so high, and he could win domains at reseller

Now the reason for the thread:

Sorry I can't pay for your auction, but it wasn't my fault. Don't you feel like I do? Do you feel auctions bid up too high? Lets not bid auctions up so high folks. Let's discuss this more.

•••
Good Luck bidding on future domains @domainsoup.

Don't ruin your reputation. Before you know it you'll have somebody like Kramer bidding on domains you want if your name gets flagged in marketplaces.

giphy.gif
Hahaha! That was perfect! Now im going to have to watch that episode again.

•••
I spoke to them. They said they may suspend accounts until an arbitrary fee is paid, but they don't ever ban people. The fee goes up for each non-payment.

They might have something in the contract saying they can. But I don't think they ever have. If someone on here has been banned at GD please let us know.

I am not sure who you spoke with but it doesn't sound like you spoke with anyone who works in the auctions department. If someone does something on the auctions that should not be done such as selling a name they don't own or won't move, or bidding on a name and not paying, we take it on a case by case basis, likely fining in a mistaken situation or first offense, but not always. If there are "mistakes" we still only allow two in most cases, total and if you make more "mistakes" you are banned for life. If there is any reasonable conclusion of malicious intent, say shill bidding or something similar we ban for life on the first offense. We have a team that looks over the auctions all the time with automated tools as well as manual intervention to make sure that the auctions are fair for everyone and that when you bid you can expect to get the domain or you can expect to be paid when selling a name. There are very, very few errors on the auctions, less than 1%. If you ask about an auction we will not tell you what we did to the offending party but some action is always taken up to and including a lifetime ban.

•••
@Joe Styler

Could you also look into these two issues:

1. I cannot access GD home page and get this message all the time:
400 Bad request
Your browser sent an invalid request.

I have informed M.Fear on this but not still resolved.

2. You auction script cheats on the views, counting each refresh for 2. This leads bidders to think that there is more interest in the name than it actually has and may validate his opinion that the name is more valuable and wanted by others influencing his decision to bid and the amount. Please fix it.

•••
I'll try to explain:
Sorry I can't pay for your auction, but it wasn't my fault. Don't you feel like I do? Do you feel auctions bid up too high? Lets not bid auctions up so high folks. Let's discuss this more.

Johname Explains and DU Complains

I sometimes provide a counter/cynical view :)

Purpose of Post
Too many auctions have shill-bidders. Don't let shill-bidders win. Outbid all the non-shill bidding peers (us and end-users) beyond reasonable end-user pricing and thus force the failure of shill-bidding.

Obvious:
There is a hint that shill-bidding has occurred but you should still stop bidding if its over your limit. It's called budgeting.

•••
If You're Prepared to Bid.
You're Prepared to Buy.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back