Buyers remorse and not paying for auction wins

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

It's frustrating. It's devastating.

Was hoping to hear from some people that have felt this way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree that if he was the winner he should man up and pay like many have said. But whats wrong with a bid retraction feature before an auction ends? Maybe I should remove the feature but isn't it better to retract than default and not pay for the auction?

Can't users contact GoDaddy and the larger sites and tell them to remove a bid they made a mistake before the auction ends? Maybe not, I'm not sure...

Well, bid retraction within a minute or few minutes is okay as long as it isn't abused.

Ebay has a better idea. It asks you twice before bidding.

•••
Would be nice to see who you bid against. A lot of trolling going on in every auctions.
Sometimes, it's discouraging to bid anymore.

•••
Well, bid retraction within a minute or few minutes is okay as long as it isn't abused.

Ebay has a better idea. It asks you twice before bidding.

Sure we have a 2 step process as well but now I'm wondering if bid retract should not be an option.

•••
I agree that if he was the winner he should man up and pay like many have said. But whats wrong with a bid retraction feature before an auction ends? Maybe I should remove the feature but isn't it better to retract than default and not pay for the auction?

Can't users contact GoDaddy and the larger sites and tell them to remove a bid they made a mistake before the auction ends? Maybe not, I'm not sure...

Wouldn't it be better to have a watch list for potential bidders?

An accepted bid is a contract.

•••
As @Zandibot says..... "Man up."
What irritates me the most (though I've never yet been confronted by a non-payer) are the people, and I use the term loosely, who fail to deliver at the end of a No Reserve auction. "Oh, I hit the wrong button," or..."you know, this domain is worth so much more," or "whoops, I must have already sold this one." Low-life pieces of ..... same as (I imagine) the people who have overbid.

Blech!!!!!!

•••
I love how a guy who's been member for a year tries to play mod.

I ain't banned anywhere. Godaddy doesn't ban you. They just fine you. Most places do that as well. As for here...the auctions are for XX usually and are pretty transparent. I have no issue with those.
AFAIK GoDaddy has the right to and will terminate an Auctions account at their discretion.

•••
Sure we have a 2 step process as well but now I'm wondering if bid retract should not be an option.

No way.

I would not use such a platform.

Some ethical lightweights would use the retraction feature as an excuse to shill bid.

•••
AFAIK GoDaddy has the right to and will terminate an Auctions account at their discretion.
I spoke to them. They said they may suspend accounts until an arbitrary fee is paid, but they don't ever ban people. The fee goes up for each non-payment.

They might have something in the contract saying they can. But I don't think they ever have. If someone on here has been banned at GD please let us know.

•••
I spoke to them. They said they may suspend accounts until an arbitrary fee is paid, but they don't ever ban people. The fee goes up for each non-payment.

They might have something in the contract saying they can. But I don't think they ever have. If someone on here has been banned at GD please let us know.
Let US know? Are you a business entity?

I suppose you're right about the arbitrary fee. Which is, in essence, lame. Yet typical.

•••
Wouldn't it be better to have a watch list for potential bidders?

An accepted bid is a contract.

You can see who bids, It says it's a binding contract before you click bid so that's covered.

No way.

I would not use such a platform.

Some ethical lightweights would use the retraction feature as an excuse to shill bid.

I see your point I'm going to disable bid retract.

•••
Yeah I underestimated how people would react

I realize there are domainers on here who hate people who mess up auctions.

I'm just pointing out that many auction platforms are rampant with price gouging. I don't see the point of paying higher than enduser price if I need to resell. It's my mistake but I really wanted to win the auction and bid more than I should.

"he is forcing me to bid XXXX" Put down the fingers slowly and start walking backwards....
I'm just pointing out you may be rampant with gambling fever.
Cheers

•••
They just fine you. Most places do that as well

thats rubbish, people get banned and their accounts suspended all the time, at auction platforms and forums like NP and other well-known domain hangouts

Remember for the last 15 or so years Adam Dicker was one of the most respected domainers if not the most in the entire industry.

Precisely, and look at his reputation now, do you want to be like him?

•••
I am amazed that there is even a discussion on whether someone should pay for an auction they won.

If you make a commitment regardless of whether it is an auction or to buy a name from another NP member... YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PAY!!!

End of story

•••

yeah well.. say bye to flippa then
they'll ban your lame ass after first non payment

just keep doing what your doing man.. the sooner your out of domaining the better for everyone. you're a waste of time.

•••
As far as go daddy goes, I was in an auction the other day and did not win...However 3 days later I received a message the buyer before me didn't purchase...in the time in between I purchased something else but they sent me a bill to pay...I said no and contacted my rep who removed it. Come to find out I was 4th on the list for this domain name and the 3 people above did not pay. Can anyone say Shill Bidders.

•••
Technically no. As if I don't pay it goes to the next guy.

That guy helped inflate the price. So he'll have to live with his mistake as I have to with mine.

This is not quite accurate. I once had 2 way bidding war on GD for a domain name. I stopped at 3K, and the other bidder got the name. 2 way bidding started at around $400, so when he did not pay for his win, GD send me an email stating "congrats, you won for $400". I was pleasantly surprised. So, if it goes to the other guy, he'll pay at the point where your two way war started, not where it ended.

•••
What happen was the OP was trying to guess the under bidder's max bid, and then got burned.

Your opinion on enduser value not the same as others.

And dont assume endusers or their reps dont bid on these sales platforms.

I agree with you. There are names on GD that I bid as an end user and am willing to pay much higher than most.

•••
in the time in between I purchased something else but they sent me a bill to pay...I said no and contacted my rep who removed it. Come to find out I was 4th on the list for this domain name and the 3 people above did not pay. Can anyone say Shill Bidders.
It's beyond the pale that they would bill you. Also not restarting the auction is unfair to all prior legitimate bidders.

•••
As far as go daddy goes, I was in an auction the other day and did not win...However 3 days later I received a message the buyer before me didn't purchase...in the time in between I purchased something else but they sent me a bill to pay...I said no and contacted my rep who removed it. Come to find out I was 4th on the list for this domain name and the 3 people above did not pay. Can anyone say Shill Bidders.
The others may have moved on like you but thanks, I will be asking how many declines be for me in the future!
Cheers

•••
I feel really bad about it. I want the domain but the price I bid at auction is so high I can't go through with it.

I'm not saying I'm cheap. I'm happy to pay most times. But the odd occasion you get one guy pushing it to above enduser prices where it's no longer profitable even in 10 years.

It's frustrating. It's devastating.

Was hoping to here from some people that have felt this way.
Please don't ever bid in any of my auctions, .........your bid will be rejected

•••
I love how a guy who's been member for a year tries to play mod.

I ain't banned anywhere. Godaddy doesn't ban you. They just fine you. Most places do that as well. As for here...the auctions are for XX usually and are pretty transparent. I have no issue with those.

Godaddy don't ban you, but they suspend your auction subscription so you can not buy or sale on godaddy auction until you will not pay admin fee 50$ or so.

•••
By the way, was the auction from a private seller at GD or expiring one? If the latter, you can try to work with them, although I don't think they would be flexible. But if the former, yes, do your best to pay. If you do, this topic will work to your benefit in the end, showing that although you had your doubts, you went public with it and in the end did a right thing. Good luck.

•••
Buyers remorse is no excuse not to pay, you bid what you can afford and pay if you win, quite simple really

•••
Ouch!

There goes your reputation in the domain world.

By creating this thread you just shot yourself in the foot :-o

•••
Never change namepros. Keep railing on people. You did the same thing with the BrandRoot founder. Keep it up and I will replicate how he dealt with it.
WHat lose our respect ?

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back