IT.COM

Buyers please be aware Unlimited/Unmetered Space/Bandwidth = Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've seen many people here offering unlimited or unmetered hosting solutions for a shared, reseller, and vps hosting solution. In these type of hosting environments unmetered is impossible since it is the same thing as unlimited. They don't meter you in regards to how much space/bandwidth you can use (hence it means unlimited). In a dedicated server unmetered is possible allowing 10Mbps ports etc...

I think that this topic is something that can help customers in the future with their purchases because I do not like to see people buying something and in the end getting ripped off.

Just a friendly reminder that if you are looking for:

Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedicated hosting solutions that Unlimited is a scam and has been proven ever since the hosting industry has opened up. They close accounts down and they charge extra fees (it's impossible to offer unlimited resources of one thing).

Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting solutions that offer Unmetered is a scan and has been also proven ever since it has been opened to the hosting industry. It is the new unlimited marketing word. Unmetered on a shared environment has to be metered otherwise you may get stuck with only 1 MB space and 1 MB of bandwidth while another account uses the rest of the server resources.

Look at the ToS's and many will have clauses to protect them from offering you too much.

My only satisifaction in this thread is to warn you and hopefully save you some money.

Thank you all who have read.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's a great post! I totally agree with you on this one.

:tu:

•••
thanks for ur post, i dont know much about host and i saw unlimited bandwith offers. so i know more about this issue.

•••
Yeah, good post. It's true that there aren't any unlimited hostings, but in theory, you get unlimited server usage. But when there is this kind of server then it's very load down so you actually get nothing. So pay attention to this post - it's usefull.
P.S. sorry for bad english :]

•••
Unlimited and hosts offering 100+ gb bandwidth for $10 is the exact same thing

•••
Posts that try to advertise these "unlimited" hosting plans should not be allowed on this forum. If all web hosting companies offered unlimited resources, they would be out of business. This is a very unprofessional practice, and people who offer them do not know anything about how to run a successful hosting business. If you're thinking about making a quick profit from that, ha, think again! You're eventually going to have to close shop and tell your customers to move elsewhere. Also, the support will undoubtably SUCK!

•••
many of this umlimited hosting plans accure with FREE hosting or PAID host that juz started... what an unprofessional way to start the hosting buissness

•••
I think offering unlimited or unmetered space/bandwidth is just a policy adopted by various hosts to advertise to customers that they don't need to upgrade or worry about going over any limits. It is highly recommended to read the TOS of the host regarding the unlimited/unmetered space and bandwidth before signing up.

I agree unlimited space/bandwidth is not possible on a shared account, it is a sign of scam. Beware of the host that offers unlimited bandwidth on a shared account he may not last long.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the post. You can actually never trust anyone. You have to actually know if someone is using that host already before you get the host.

~Spinky

•••
Offering unlimited space and bandwith is false advertising.

•••
Many people get tempted by these unlimited offers, not knowing that they are all just tricks to get them to buy hosting from them, and learn the lesson the hard way. :(

•••
practually u have all the resourses on that server when u get Unlimited w/e

•••
DarkNeal128 said:
You and the other 524 clients on the same server who you don't know about, right? :yell:

Btw, if you go to whois.sc and enter in your website's address, it will tell you how many other sites are hosted on the same shared server.

•••
DarkNeal128 said:

Actually that is the type of thought that many customers have when going with these companies. You have to realize that YOU DO NOT get all of the resouces. They are limited because a server cannot hold unlimited resources itself ;). Also the ToS/AuP policies limit your uses and in the end the provider cannot offer you unlimited but requires you to upgrade your account and pay more.

edder said:
You and the other 524 clients on the same server who you don't know about, right? :yell:

Btw, if you go to whois.sc and enter in your website's address, it will tell you how many other sites are hosted on the same shared server.

That's doesn't always work as some shared accounts may have unique IPs. Those things are very innaccurate :D.

•••
DarkNeal128, if you read the TOS, it will usually limit you to a small percentage of the server's resources. (Usually 10%)

Senad said:
That's doesn't always work as some shared accounts may have unique IPs. Those things are very innaccurate :D.
Yes, you're right. But that's probably the closest number you will get since most hosting companies will not reveal to you the "real" number of clients on their server. (most don't even know because they are merely resellers and don't have root access.)

•••
I agree with you about the unlimited resources scam. These hosts come and go all of the time. They assume that a majority of the customers will create a website that is never used, while only a few will require large amounts of diskspace and bandwidth. In reality, there are limits on the amount of diskspace and bandwidth that is available. Another problem with these plans is that they overload the servers with hundreds or even thousands of hosting accounts. This causes the servers to move very slowly and crash frequently. They have never been reliable.

•••
Thought you might be interested in this little story as it is relevant to the thread.

I ran a hosting business for 5 years, one day I was contacted by someone who was interested in who we got our servers from and how much we paid as they would save us a lot of money.

I gave them the details to see what sort of offer they would come up with, well they sent me an e-mail offering to host all our sites for $50 a month !

I actually had a chat with the guy ( once I finished laughing ) and it turned out he had bought one of these 'unlimited' reseller accounts from somewhere, he seemed genuinly shocked that I was not interested and could not work out why I would not be interested in saving a few thousand dollars a month by using his service.

Now I just need to find a gas station that offers unlimited petrol for a fixed monthly fee :)

All the best

Richard

•••
DomainSage said:
Thought you might be interested in this little story as it is relevant to the thread.

I ran a hosting business for 5 years, one day I was contacted by someone who was interested in who we got our servers from and how much we paid as they would save us a lot of money.

I gave them the details to see what sort of offer they would come up with, well they sent me an e-mail offering to host all our sites for $50 a month !

I actually had a chat with the guy ( once I finished laughing ) and it turned out he had bought one of these 'unlimited' reseller accounts from somewhere, he seemed genuinly shocked that I was not interested and could not work out why I would not be interested in saving a few thousand dollars a month by using his service.

Now I just need to find a gas station that offers unlimited petrol for a fixed monthly fee :)

All the best

Richard
Great story, Richard. It basically sums it all up.

•••
I use the free and unlimited bandwith hosting of my ISP for one of my websites (with videos).
Since 8 month there is 4 TeraBytes of bandwidth used... they told me that since it's not illegal content or use too much ressources (like a big php script which take all the cpu and memory ressources) that's ok ;)

PS : it's a subdomain hosting, because they don't host a domain.
But for that price i don't care.

•••
i have seen several unlimited offers. Thanx for your great post. will consider in future.

•••
It's a buyer beware situation, I agree that most of these offers are indeed scams. The hosting tends to be terrible because they oversell the server and if you start using to many resources they will cancel you.

I can't agree that all are scams however. I bought an unlimited reseller account 6 months ago on ebay just to see how bad it really would be. I pay $3.75 a month for it and believe it or not the hosting is not bad at all. Of course I don't run anything major on it but in the 6 months I've had almost no down time and problems are taken care of quickly by the support team. So I really can't complain about it.

On the other side of the coin however. A friend bought an unlimited account for $5.95 a year and it was crap. Server was down a lot and the mysql seldom worked. He was lucky in that they offered a 30 day money back deal and he got his refund.

All in all I think it's best to stay away from unlimited offers though, from what I've seen I got extremely lucky to have found one that so far has been ok. I would never even think of running a hosting company on an unlimited reseller but mine comes in handy for test sites and other stuff I don't want to clutter up my dedicated server with.

•••
Yes unlimited doesnt exists it cannot be shown on piece of paper that infity exists so neither does unlimited but as Troubled1 said i will try ebay i guess as its only like 2$ pm so i can put my other hosting domain or maybe free hosting domain on that account and see if unlimited and ebay is scam in hosting or its just the bad name that ebay has about hosting.

•••
Actually buying hosting on ebay is generally a bad idea. Most people I know who have tried it have had very bad luck with it. As I said in my earlier post I seem to have gotten very lucky with mine. If you are going to try it then I suggest you do a bit of research on the company you will be buying from.

Do a search on the company name at WebhostingTalk forums and see if they have a lot of bad posts about them.

•••
Hmm ok troubled1 , well from 3 out of 4 people i contacted on ebay i got no reply so those companies are no and those who did reply , lol they lied to my face so they are no no too.

•••
Yes, there is nothing like unlimited bandwidth or diskspace.Today's technology is not enough for this.Thanks for the message.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back