Dynadot

Buyers please be aware Unlimited/Unmetered Space/Bandwidth = Scam

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I've seen many people here offering unlimited or unmetered hosting solutions for a shared, reseller, and vps hosting solution. In these type of hosting environments unmetered is impossible since it is the same thing as unlimited. They don't meter you in regards to how much space/bandwidth you can use (hence it means unlimited). In a dedicated server unmetered is possible allowing 10Mbps ports etc...

I think that this topic is something that can help customers in the future with their purchases because I do not like to see people buying something and in the end getting ripped off.

Just a friendly reminder that if you are looking for:

Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedicated hosting solutions that Unlimited is a scam and has been proven ever since the hosting industry has opened up. They close accounts down and they charge extra fees (it's impossible to offer unlimited resources of one thing).

Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting solutions that offer Unmetered is a scan and has been also proven ever since it has been opened to the hosting industry. It is the new unlimited marketing word. Unmetered on a shared environment has to be metered otherwise you may get stuck with only 1 MB space and 1 MB of bandwidth while another account uses the rest of the server resources.

Look at the ToS's and many will have clauses to protect them from offering you too much.

My only satisifaction in this thread is to warn you and hopefully save you some money.

Thank you all who have read.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
unlimited features and unlimited space and bandwidth are different.. In most hosting companies the term of ulimited features is outlined in the AUP or TOS.. Resourses are limitied to what is avialbale, therefore, u have no set limit, but the features become unusable after the companies limit is exceeded

•••
Read their TOS carefully and you'll probably find some sort of limits. Unlimited means no limit.... Either way it's just a marketing startegy to attract customers. Unmetered dedicated servers might be the only thing that wouldn't be deceptive advertising to the consumer.

•••
Common sense is your friend :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back