NameSilo

Brent Oxley Loses Access to Create.com, Plus Millions of Dollars Worth of His Domains

Labeled as information in Domain Industry News, started by James Iles, Mar 4, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. YourFutureLawyer.com

YourFutureLawyer.com New Member

Wow as a law student and a new domain investor this is just shocking and heartbreaking. I bought my blog site from godaddy thinking I’d be safe. They had a great reputation and just a few days ago I was even looking at making a huge investment in their stocks based on my new hobby with domains. I’ve traded stocks for a long time and I’m so glad I found this thread. I’m in the process on transferring my domains out to epic or NameSilo ASAP.
    For me now it’s about the principle. @GoDaddy how the hell can you give credit to someone who spends 12$ on a law suit out of the United States and not require a USA order ? How the hell do you not give any weight to this guys history?? The lawsuits he has lost? How can you be ok with doing this to someone when there is so much evidence pointing you to this being a scam ?! I am so glad I didn’t pull the trigger on my stock buy and that I found this thread. I will be transferring my domains out because of the mistreatment and UNREASONABLE UNFAIRNESS of this situation. I know I only have a few domains but I also have some friends and they have a few and all of us will be on our way out and spreading the word about this because people deserve to know. This is completely unacceptable and consideration was not properly given to the situation. Very shady business.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Grilled

Grilled xn--n48h.to VIP

Welcome to namePros!

3. koolishman

koolishman Top Contributor VIP

Nothing.

The issue is two-part.

1. Godaddy being a ***k. That is a dangerous precedent and concerns us as DN sellers and buyers.

2. The agreement/understanding/discussion between Oxley and Puneet. Legally, I would love to see how courts interpret that.

4. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

LOL. That is not how it works.

GoDaddy is orders of magnitude larger than Epik.

Brad

5. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

people keep saying only gd would do this lock...is it true? why other registrars wouldn't do it in similar situations?

6. koolishman

koolishman Top Contributor VIP

Rob Monster has replied on Page 3. “ Unless there is a court order, how is this justified”?

7. NonHipster

NonHipster Established Member

Absolutely spot on!

8. NonHipster

NonHipster Established Member

We will be boycotting godaddy from now on! We have had our own complaints with godaddy but this all we can handle. We stopped using them prior to hearing about this and now we will also be transferring all of our domains out immediately. Cancel culture fools. Sorry this sad situation has happened to you. We're on your side Brent and believe you will prevail. We will celebrate when that day comes!

9. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

ok but plz do not fire at giraffes from the tanks during celebrations ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  10. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

I have feeling u were not fond or liking gd much b4 all this
    ... I cant help but wonder why u did not pick another registrar. people keep saying there is more to this story between u and gd... so if true then why even at slightest onset of problems or misunderstandings with registrars would someone still insist keeping millions dollars names there. just trying understand.

11. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

12. smarti

smarti carpe diem

epik can't, but we could, as GD is a public company ;)

13. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

I simply said his points can be made without the stereotypes. If you had come back with, "No, his points couldn't be valid without those stereotypes", that would have been a logical line of debate for me. Instead, you went off on a tangent with statistics.

I am not here to argue about the nitty gritty of where the crime capital is in the world seeing as it remains invalid in this particular discourse.

The way I see it, you are right, I am right. We are just coming at this from different angles.

Once again, thank you (in a non-passive agressive way)

14. TheBaldOne

TheBaldOne Top Contributor VIP Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

It seems to me that Mr. Aman Bhutani did not pay attention to what happened to Mr. Gerald Ratner and his company when he made such a gaffe as GoDaddy is now.

When the comments made by Mr. Ratner became public it destroyed both him and his company. It seems to me that with 'domainers' this sorry tale and the lack of action of GoDaddy to immediately rectify THEIR OBVIOUS MISTAKE is equivalent to Ratner's mistake. Forever in the future domainers will recall this shambolic GoDaddy affair.

Of course at first it will not seem to be on the same level, after all domainers as a whole make up only a small percentage of GoDaddy customers - but we domainers are the bedrock customers that GoDaddy relies upon. To make up for the loss of domainer customers GoDaddy is going to have to advertise and market more to end-users - and that will cost them big bucks, indeed millions of dollars, and no matter how you look on it this is going to be a huge hit against GoDaddy.

Now of course this is not Mr. Aman Bhutani's direct fault initially, but having been made aware of this sorry situation he should have acted immediately and made sure through his underlings that the situation was resolved immediately. The obvious failure to do this now means that the buck must lie with Mr. Bhutani even though initially this sorry affair had nothing to with him.

15. ThatNameGuy

ThatNameGuy Restricted (15-30%) Gold Account

I just want everyone to know there are two sides to every story, and this one is no different. The more I'm involved, the more corruption I'm learning about.....i'm just saying:xf.rolleyes:

16. trelgor

trelgor Top Contributor VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Infact, if it is true that it costs $12 and an elaborate claim to have multi-million dollar assets frozen, I wonder how long it will take for spammers, phishers, and con artists of any color to leave low efficiency scams for a 100% hit-rate activity. The obvious angle would be blackmail against withdrawal of claim. Any premium domain target.

17. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

well I never heard of this scam type before... have u? why this has not happened before? maybe the success of it is not guaranteed and requires a very
    special set of events or circumstances to come together or cooperate.

I mean isn't it a good question why we never heard of similar thing happen before. well at least I have not

18. trelgor

trelgor Top Contributor VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It’s a good question, because scammers are inventive.

One way to be inventive is keeping your ear to the ground. I’m pretty sure this has happened before, just not publicly. The publicity here means exponentially more criminal ears are evaluating this opportunity.

Once upon a time there was a first ”Nigeria-letter”.

Your question is almost - if this has not happened before - how can it happen now? Ever heard of evolution?

19. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

yes I've heard of evolution.

well I guess mr brent could go visit india in a tank..and call that evolution too.

20. DirkS

DirkS DutchPirates.com VIP

Agreed. Their business model doesn't resolve around domainers. I do think they are unfortunate to have picked Brent's domains to mess with as this 'news' will reach beyond the Domaining world.

In tech, hosting etc, he's kind of a celebrity, cult figure if you like. Very bad PR that may have a bigger impact on GD than they are realising.

21. boker

boker Top Contributor VIP

Well, it didn't happened because is not working usually at most registrars, because they need a court order to do anything and the court order takes long time( 6 years in this case) and 99% of the times you loose with a complain like this... This guy tried the same thing with namecheap and he was refused without a court order. What's changing now is that godaddy starts locking domains without a court order, just based on a complain, so that will attract scamers.

22. Embrand

Embrand Top Contributor VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

As a side note, GoDaddy's Chief Legal Officer will be leaving this year. From GoDaddy's latest earnings call with Aman:

Our leadership team is also evolving. 2020 was a year of milestones and career-defining achievements for many GoDaddy leaders. After having truly accomplished herculean tasks, both in 2020 and over their respective careers, our Chief Legal Officer, Nima Kelly, and our Chief Financial Officer, Ray Winborne, have each expressed a desire to retire at some point this year.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...dy-inc-gddy-q4-2020-earnings-call-transcript/

23. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

true... this is open season invitation to scammers...if gd doesnt fix this..like yesterday.. they are playing a very dangerous game here..

24. Lox

Lox _____ VIP Gold Account

GoDaddy email showing that the web domain registrar is complying with a court order issued by the High Court of Singapore ...

Source: cointelegraph

ku.png

25. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

so why people here keep saying there is no court order.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice