NameSilo

Brent Oxley Loses Access to Create.com, Plus Millions of Dollars Worth of His Domains

Labeled as information in Domain Industry News, started by James Iles, Mar 4, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Obviously they only care about their bottom line,

But most companies have learned over time that they can increase their bottom line more through better customer satisfaction.

So any smart company that wants to grow actually needs to care about their customers.

IMO

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. domainicate

domainicate Established Member

Respectfully, this would not be the time to hire a low-cost, out-of-work lawyer. Actually, I can't think of any time I would want a low-priced, out-of-work lawyer.

3. Prince. JOSEPH OWOR

Prince. JOSEPH OWOR Established Member

@CatchDeleted - I believe you can state your points and provide your own meaningful input to this post without subjecting "Nigeria" to such ridicule. Words of advice, choose your words carefully and please, keep
    "Nigeria" out of this...

4. The Rover

The Rover Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yet another comment from someone who's appearing to be "offended" all because some namepros member chose to use Nigeria in their hypothetical scenario. So, I will just say to you the same thing that I said to another namepros member. Countries like Nigeria and India have stereotypes because the data reveals that Nigeria (and India) are massively corrupt countries and have a solid history of spawning scams. Does that mean that there isn't corruption issues in many other countries? No, of course not. Is there is a huge disproportionate number of scams that originate from both Nigeria and India? Absolutely. So, allow me to state the obvious. The person above who chose to use "Nigeria" in their hypothetical fraud case, obviously did so, because it's highly relevant. It's relevant and statistically realistic, because the odds of an individual being scammed by someone from Nigeria (and India) are vastly higher than being scammed by someone from say a country like Canada or Denmark. Reasons for this are broad, ranging from socio-economic issues, to the ratio of the country's population vs. law enforcement resources. If Denmark, Canada or even Russia was used in their hypothetical example instead, I highly doubt you'd ever make it a topic of discussion. Why is that?

So, in a nutshell, you shouldn't be "offended" that someone chose to use Nigeria (a country that actually does have an ongoing, extreme problem with spawning scams) in order to prove a relevant point. What you should be offended at, is that Nigeria has such an extreme scamming problem to begin with. Also, what's with the "choose your words carefully" comment? That nearly sounds like some sort of strange, passive aggressive threat. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but it came off very strange. My advice: Stop looking for problems where problems don't actually exist, and focus on where they DO exist.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  5. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

well nobody has to assume anything...there are stats and facts... the poorer the area the more crime..scams etc.. it's sad..but true...but we should prolly be back on topic...

Screenshot_20210307-172416_Google.jpg

6. TheConqueror

TheConqueror VIP Member PRO VIP

Waow,

Really funny and scary. I was thinking of developing a project with a godaddy domain but have to think twice now.

7. The Rover

Yep, agreed. Yet somehow, a random namepros member gets grilled for implementing a fact pattern in their hypothetical example. Hell, I can't even remember which namepros member it was who originally used Nigeria as an example, but I digress.

8. TheConqueror

TheConqueror VIP Member PRO VIP

Not a good response. Brent asks simple yes or no questions which you have to answer simply. for instance is there a court order in india or somewhere else? You have to be on your customers side. It should not be this easy to lock any domain!!

9. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Paul Nicks response was unsatisfying...

Appreciate; i think the Godaddy # 2, took time to reply; but at same time; Spot on, my friend. That reply was uninspiring, and left more questions than answers...

10. boker

boker Top Contributor VIP

You should travel more, the total crime rate is different, also, depends on which site are you looking for. Check this crime and safety index: https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp For example, from your list, Romania is ahead of countries like: Germany, US, Spain, Luxembourg, Norway, Canada, Sweden, Greece, UK, Belgium and so on. Pakistan is ahead of countries like: Greece, Ireland, Belgium, UK and so on. India is ahead of countries like: Ireland, Sweden, UK, US and so on. So petty scams and total crimes and safety issues are different things. Anyway, back on track.

11. DomainBarracksRob

DomainBarracksRob Top Contributor VIP

This is is from a comment thread on my LinkedIn Account! @create.com headsup! (Also sent you a connect)

This is the same guy is it not! He actually commented on a post reguarding the whole bad PR GoDaddy is getting over this...this whole thing isn’t going away

Good Luck Brent @create.com
    D550E25F-BDDA-4468-BE30-CAE9BBBC533A.jpeg

12. Lox

Lox _____ VIP Gold Account

Yes

13. boker

No matter if he is right or wrong, what is doing godaddy is illegal. Even if he wins tomorrow, in both courts, in India and US, I can't see what godaddy can do to help him. Godaddy can't auction a domain because the commission was not paid and give to money to the 'broker', it's illegal, the transaction was not even done through godaddy. So, the best he can hope is to keep the domains locked as long as he can and hopefully Brent will give up and pay some cash. In the minute the domains will not be locked anymore, he can't do anything just to try to use the court order from India, to open a new case in US and if he wins there as well, than he can follow the steps to recover his commission and eventually to seize some properties/assets/accounts to cover the commission. Again, godaddy has nothing to do with all this and I will be surprised if Brent will not sue godaddy after this fiasco is over.

14. Paul Nicks

Paul Nicks VIP Member GoDaddy Staff PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Thanks for all the feedback on this so far. I've been reading every reply and can understand your concerns.

In the last 36 hours, we've been having some serious discussions about our policies, processes, and ultimately, how we can better serve our customers while protecting everyone's legal rights. We have already engaged the ICA and other industry experts to determine if there are any changes we should and could make. As we make progress, we will keep the community posted.

For Brent, I want you know that no domain name will be deleted. Consistent with our policy, we have paid for renewals and will continue to pay for renewals as necessary. We're keeping them safe, and leaving them up and running.

15. trelgor

trelgor Top Contributor VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Start by establishing when and how any claim becomes your concern at all and when and how it becomes a concern to the point of action on the movement of domain names.

16. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Surely you could remove the mention of threatened legal action as a trigger of domain locking from your ToS.

At your discretion that currently allows you to lock any and all domains just because someone rings or emails saying they are considering legal action.

These are the relevant ToS as quoted by Brent:

17. boker

At minimum, you should have answered the few of Brent's punctual questions to you, after your customer service has ignored him for a year.

18. GTBAAA

GTBAAA Restricted (85-100%)

@Paul Nicks

Your rhetoric here means nothing....You basically punted to buy time. Just unlock the F'ing names. Actions - Not words.

19. boker

I have only one curiosity...let's say that tomorrow the plaintiff wins and sends you the court order, which says that he is owned a commission for some of these transactions, what godaddy can do next: unlock the domains, because it doesn't concern godaddy the stuff about commission? 2 keep the domains locked for unlimited time, until the issues are resolved?( on what legal ground?) 3.auction the domains to pay the plaintiff the commission( on what legal ground?)..... I'm still missing the point why godaddy is involved in this.

20. GTBAAA

GTBAAA Restricted (85-100%)

Brent,

You have the money to sue Godaddy for damages. Would love to see this happen if you are willing.

21. Magul

Magul Top Contributor VIP Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

I want to shed some light for unenlightened.

It is predicted that China will become number 1 economic superpower very soon.

India has extraordinary tech talent.

All this discrimination is pointless.

The internet has interconnected the world.

USA keeps outsourcing but it could not continue in perpetuity. Dollar will collapse and Indian Rupee and Chinese Yuan migh as well be the currencies of the future.

22. Magul

Magul Top Contributor VIP Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Elon musk is "fleeing" USA for China and India.

23. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

Paul, I really appreciate you following this long "weekend thread" and letting it inspire some serious change. Magical things can happen depending on the choices Godaddy will make in the short term now. This thread is already packed with good suggestions regarding Brent's case in particular, but also contains many well-meant suggestions to regain the balance between all stakeholders, especially the interaction between Godaddy and the domainer community. Keep us posted, and thanks again.

24. marijuanadomain

marijuanadomain Established Member

Who is this guy from India doing this extortion and I bet all his friends will be doing the same.
    Wired.com ,NPR and other news media will pick up this story how Godaddy gave in and is the worst company to do business!

25. The Rover

This entire fiasco is an opportunity for GoDaddy to make an example out of Brent. GoDaddy's response to this case is an opportunity to create an ideological precedent under the guise of "protecting" domain registrants..Anyone who knows Brent, knows damn well that the CEO of GoDaddy and himself are as similar as oil and water. They literally think people are that dumb. However, many here can see the writing on the wall and what all of this is about.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice