NameSilo

tips Breaking a Domain Hyperlink with a "One Dot Leader"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I wanted to share a tip that I use every day when I would like a domain name to look physically appealing, as a domain name, yet not automatically become a hyperlink in many places.
The name of this character is "One Dot Leader" (U+2024) and it is a Unicode character; also referred to as a graphical character.
I personally use the One Dot Leader Unicode on Twitter in place of the standard period when I make announcements of domain names being sold/acquired in tweets but wish not to have that domain name become a hyperlink. I had long paid attention to the fact that I did not wish to make every domain name that I talked about a hyperlink but never really paid close attention to the appearance during the process of stopping the hyperlink. Since most of the newly acquired domain names I announce do not resolve yet, since they were just purchased, the hyperlink is useless...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
On Windows, you can also use alt codes*, such as Alt+250 or Alt+0183, to type:
  • Example·com using Alt+250
  • Example·com using Alt+0183
On Mac, use the Option key instead of the Alt key.

These don't look quite as good as the ONE DOT LEADER, but they are a lot faster and easier to enter if you memorize the number 250 or 0183.

For comparison:
  • Example.com (standard; full stop)
  • Examplecom (leader)
  • Example·com (250)
  • Example·com (0183)

* Enter the number using your numeric keypad. You may need to press your [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Num_Lock']Num Lock[/URL] key once before it will work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back