Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought I had misread it, but this one just got published:

http://www.cocaine.io/

According to BB, this name can be used for "An offbeat marketing agency. A drug culture blog. A recovery program."

Sorry, but I don't agree with this one being allowed. I am interested in hearing what other people think.

upload_2018-1-27_0-35-3.png

I was under the assumption BB was more wholesome, and didn't mess with edgier names. Not that I know what cocaine looks like, but the logo may be perceived as that substance in the shape of a C. Given that cocaine is classified as a stimulant, I'm a little surprised the keyword energy (or boost) wasn't included for this listing.

There are live trademarks containing cocaine:

upload_2018-1-27_0-39-26.png

... and products being branded and sold using the name cocaine:

upload_2018-1-27_0-40-43.png
upload_2018-1-27_0-41-4.png
upload_2018-1-27_0-41-52.png

Last edited:
•••
From the January 2018 newsletter:

And, So Long (But Not Goodbye)
Our last bit of news is that as of January 31st, Michael Krell will be resigning from his position as Managing Director to allow him time to pursue opportunities outside of the domain space. While taking a step back from active domaining, Michael plans to keep his portfolio at BrandBucket as he believes that it gives his names the best opportunity to sell. We have been lucky to have him as part of the BrandBucket team these past few years, and he will be missed!

Not a big surprise, to be honest. He didn't send out the newsletter in a long time and started listing names at other marketplaces as well.

Good to know he will still be using BB, though.

•••
Show attachment 79074

I was under the assumption BB was more wholesome, and didn't mess with edgier names. Not that I know what cocaine looks like, but the logo may be perceived as that substance in the shape of a C. Given that cocaine is classified as a stimulant, I'm a little surprised the keyword energy (or boost) wasn't included for this listing.

There are live trademarks containing cocaine:

Show attachment 79075

... and products being branded and sold using the name cocaine:

Show attachment 79077Show attachment 79079Show attachment 79080

Well, I guess it is used for brands then... But I still don't think it is a good fit for BB.

•••
Not a big surprise, to be honest. He didn't send out the newsletter in a long time and started listing names at other marketplaces as well.
During his time there he took care of supply-side primarily, and his title wasn't really representative of what he was doing. Margot was pulling all the strings and making all the business decisions, while Michael focused on the inventory side. At least that's my understanding of how things worked.
Good to know he will still be using BB, though.
I imagine he was offered a very nice accommodation to retain his names there. It may even have been tied in to any severance package he received. Considering the quality and breadth of his portfolio he could easily step out and start a competing site tomorrow using his knowledge and inventory. Given this:
[... ] to allow him time to pursue opportunities outside of the domain space
I'm going to guess there was a non-compete aspect to their arrangement. The language is odd there, although if might be coincidental, but "allowing him time to pursue" isn't at all the same as "allowing him to pursue". It will be interesting to see what Michael does from here on, and I just want to wish him the very best of luck in whatever endeavor he chooses.

•••
Hey folks!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of our current (and future!) partners and sellers that will be in Las Vegas at NamesCon this coming week.

Please come by the BrandBucket booth to say hello.

BB sellers can also schedule one-on-one meetings with Margot (founder), Christine (sales) and Zeena (marketing) via the NamesCon app.

Hope to see you there!

Keith

Last edited:
•••
It will be better for me if @michaeljkrell pull out his portfolio from BB :xf.wink:
From the January 2018 newsletter:

And, So Long (But Not Goodbye)
Our last bit of news is that as of January 31st, Michael Krell will be resigning from his position as Managing Director to allow him time to pursue opportunities outside of the domain space. While taking a step back from active domaining, Michael plans to keep his portfolio at BrandBucket as he believes that it gives his names the best opportunity to sell. We have been lucky to have him as part of the BrandBucket team these past few years, and he will be missed!

•••
•••
He has huge portfolio and can create his own marketplace. For him to pursue another opportunity may because he doesn't think BB is his golden eggs.

Do you think someone will slaughter there Hen which give Golden Eggs. ☺

Last edited:
•••
I've just noticed that BB no longer 404s names (or at least some) which are no longer for sale. They now provide the same page with a message that the name is no longer for sale. Clever as they can still get traffic for names that are no longer listed (as opposed to no traffic to a 404), but I personally think this is very sneaky. If you have removed names from their platform you now have new competition for the traffic that might go to your name.

•••
I've just noticed that BB no longer 404s names (or at least some) which are no longer for sale. They now provide the same page with a message that the name is no longer for sale. Clever as they can still get traffic for names that are no longer listed (as opposed to no traffic to a 404), but I personally think this is very sneaky. If you have removed names from their platform you now have new competition for the traffic that might go to your name.
How would users land on that page? Typically the domain itself redirects to that page and after a sale (presumably to an end-user), the domain will be hosting a site (or directing somewhere else). So how would users land on that page? The only way I can think of is if they search for the domain name and the BB page is high up in the SERPs

•••
How would users land on that page? Typically the domain itself redirects to that page and after a sale (presumably to an end-user), the domain will be hosting a site (or directing somewhere else). So how would users land on that page? The only way I can think of is if they search for the domain name and the BB page is high up in the SERPs
Because more times then not the name is never used.

•••
•••
Do you have data on this or is this conjecture?
I used to track a large amount of names that sold there. Nothing happens with a lot of them.

•••
I see what they are going for there if this was purposeful... This will continue to drive some traffic to their site after a domain is removed - which could lead to another name selling. Smart, in a way, from their point of view.

But I can't say I approve of my names still be indexed in google at BB. I would prefer references to my names be removed when my names aren't listed there.

Always two sides to a coin. Unfortunately in this case I am on the wrong side of the flip.

•••
Because more times then not the name is never used.
I just realized, this does not answer how the user lands on BB. Even if the name is not used, it is either still point to BB (which means the user should not get a 404) or it points elsewhere which again brings up my question how does the user land on the direct domain page?

•••
>> it points elsewhere which again brings up my question how does the user land on the direct domain page?

@anantj - I think the answer to your question is Search Engine Results. for example, If there is text on a page and the brand name is referenced several times on the categories or potential uses for the name, given BrandBuckets ranking well overall by Google, it is possible (likely) that the BB skeleton landing pages of prior names that were sold would show up in a Google Search Result. Although not high on the page, but still a little bit of free "buyer interest traffic" is better than a 404 dead end.

The value of this to BB is that if the individual searching the web for a specific name (brainstorming or potentially mashing up words to see what shows up live on Google) and then BB happens to rank on page 1 for the name, it is possible the individual who is surfing might click on the link. Then once seeing the name has already been sold, might glance around BB to see what similar names they have available.

That's why leaving a 404 is a bad idea and putting up splash (skeleton) pages indicating the name has already been sold (oh and by the way here are 3-4 other names that might work for you) is a smarter strategy.

YMMV.

•••
>> it points elsewhere which again brings up my question how does the user land on the direct domain page?

@anantj - I think the answer to your question is Search Engine Results. for example, If there is text on a page and the brand name is referenced several times on the categories or potential uses for the name, given BrandBuckets ranking well overall by Google, it is possible (likely) that the BB skeleton landing pages of prior names that were sold would show up in a Google Search Result. Although not high on the page, but still a little bit of free "buyer interest traffic" is better than a 404 dead end.

The value of this to BB is that if the individual searching the web for a specific name (brainstorming or potentially mashing up words to see what shows up live on Google) and then BB happens to rank on page 1 for the name, it is possible the individual who is surfing might click on the link. Then once seeing the name has already been sold, might glance around BB to see what similar names they have available.

That's why leaving a 404 is a bad idea and putting up splash (skeleton) pages indicating the name has already been sold (oh and by the way here are 3-4 other names that might work for you) is a smarter strategy.

YMMV.
FYI: This isn't specifically about sold names, this involves names that are removed when a seller leaves.

•••
>> FYI: This isn't specifically about sold names, this involves names that are removed when a seller leaves.

Sort of reminds me of Elvis... Graceland still gets visited... long after Elvis is gone... :xf.wink:

•••
The only way I can think of is if they search for the domain name and the BB page is high up in the SERPs
This:
I think the answer to your question is Search Engine Results.

That's why leaving a 404 is a bad idea and putting up splash (skeleton) pages indicating the name has already been sold
As someone else pointed out, this isn't for sold names specifically. I came across it while doing a Google search for one of my names, which coincidentally had been previously listed on BB. I think some digging in their T&Cs might be needed here, as they are using my inventory to promote their site. My guess is this was never mentioned in their T&Cs, and it will be interesting to see if they remove this pages on request (as they should do IMO).

•••
@Brandworthy - good point and I agree I doubt you'll find it specifically outlined or mentioned in their T&Cs.

@Nat Hunt - interesting point. As a domainer, it does make you reflect on content driven traffic models and impact.

The question of "should it be done" is likely a debate among many. Some for, Some against.
The question of "is it happening"... is clear... and not happening exclusively on BrandBucket, but many sites.

•••
Hey everybody!

We had a great time at NamesCon. The BB staff and I met with dozens of BB sellers at our booth and Margot also had private meetings with quite a few sellers as well.

While I'm here a couple of mundane points:
  • I have been friends with Michael Krell since his early days as a domainer. He is a kind hearted, soft spoken, young man who has helped many domainers AND has spent considerable time helping the underprivileged population in his home community. He made a personal decision to leave BB so he could spend more time with his growing family and his evolving business interests. Michael is a lifelong entrepreneur who has worked on a wide variety of business projects. Leaving BB is a continuation of that self-driven career path. The rumors, speculation and conspiracy theories being offered around NPs have no basis in reality.
  • BB has been accepting dictionary words in a few new gTLDs for a few years. Currently dot LY, dot IO and dot ME are listed on the site. If you have some you want to list then please submit them for review and pricing. Let me know if I can help.
  • Domains purchased by end users often lay fallow for months sometimes years. This is pervasive throughout the industry whether they are sold on BrandBucket, BrandRoot or SEDO. A significant portion of the brandable domains that I've sold via Afternic etc, for example, are not developed.
If anyone has anyone questions, problems or suggestions please send me a direct message. I'll help anyway I can. You can also message BB directly at any time and get prompt assistance: [email protected]

Good to luck to everyone in the new year!

May all your sales be to end users!

Keith

Pictured below left to right are: Keith (brand ambassador), Margot (founder-CEO), Christine (sales), Zeena (marketing)
DUwOXLPU8AIpIFD.jpg

Last edited:
•••
My experience with BB is short and unpleasant.

When you ask for your names to be removed and are given a date keep all correspondence and replies. They like to play games later and send threatening emails after said date and name server changes.

Be aware there are lackeys on this forum who will not hesitate to pretend to be buyers and complain and lie to BB that your names are for sale on this forum if you don’t sell them for dirt cheap via PM.

Everytime I come to this thread I see something more disturbing than the last time. So glad I didn’t go full in with this operation.

•••
It seems like the free submission period is over? I just submitted a domain and it cost me a credit. Anyone else noticed?

•••
It seems like the free submission period is over? I just submitted a domain and it cost me a credit. Anyone else noticed?
I believe the submission was always 1 credit, but they were waiving the publishing fee...

Though I was not a member of the GP, so I could be wrong.

•••
I believe the submission was always 1 credit, but they were waiving the publishing fee...

Though I was not a member of the GP, so I could be wrong.

Oh, yes, sorry - I mixed those two things up :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back