Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think everybody is entitled to an opinion and a different experience and since things aren't very transparent on BB's part- speculations will always be made. Perhaps some of these speculations are true. I really don't know. I certainly sent quite a few emails to BB, trying to make sense of certain decisions and I am frustrated too by some of their practices.

However, I think this discussion needs to be a little less heated and accusatory of people who want to say something positive. IMO, people who write positive things shouldn't be labeled as BB defenders and accused of getting preferential treatment. In my case, for example, though I've written some good things, I've had and still have a lot of issues with the system and I certainly don't get anything from BB.

I'm a realistic person in my core. I don't expect most hand regged names with average prices to be very visible on a 40,000+ name platform where there are many aged aftermarket names, regardless of staff issues (which again, I think BB should be totally transparent about). I also have a small portfolio so I think that needs to be a consideration as well. I'm pretty sure most portfolios of NP members have mostly hand regged names so I think being realistic about the visibility and the chances of such names selling is key. They do sell all the time, but aged and premium domains have a better chance and names with higher prices are probably better seen in search results as well.

Anyway... like I said- everybody can think whatever they want. But I think it would be nicer to have a discussion without accusations. It's just counterproductive.

Last edited:
•••
BB no longer shows ( since start of last week) the number of domains on the platform. I noticed this but thought it was just me but other sellers confirmed this now. Why would BB make such move? As investors in the platform , We should know how many names are on it.

•••
BB no longer shows ( since start of last week) the number of domains on the platform. I noticed this but thought it was just me but other sellers confirmed this now. Why would BB make such move? As investors in the platform , We should know how many names are on it.

It will be re-enabled.

•••
Waiting for my first sale...

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Not at all my friend, I'm definitely NOT one. Just using basic arithmetic.
How does showing how many names are on BB have anything to do with arithmetic?

•••
How does showing how many names are on BB have anything to do with arithmetic?

Because subtraction and addition is needed. Monkey do, Monkey follow.

•••
I still don't get it. BB removed how many names are on the site and you said it would be re-enabled. What does that have to do with arithmetic?

•••
Xefio is owned by Krell but is on page 1 when you search for Tech.

Xefio = June 2016 Hand Reg. Published on September 2016 BB Newsletter at #10 spot. I wonder how long this domain has been on page 1 for Tech, what classifies it as a tech domain, and why does it receive prime real estate?

Why is Scorch/Labs.com (MK Domain) tagged / searchable via 'Tech', and Scorch/Lab.com (Not MK Domain) not?

upload_2017-2-27_4-54-55.png

VS

upload_2017-2-27_4-54-3.png

Granted, the singular 'lab' has the 'Science' tag which the plural 'labs' doesn't. Per the last BrandBucket Newsletter, 'Tech' ranks 2nd in internal searches at 9% whereas 'Science' isn't ranked in the top 15. There are only 625 domains returned in a 'Science' search whereas there's 1,068 'Tech' results. Begs the question of greater advantage: Low Search Volume + Medium Competition or High Search Volume + High Competition?

upload_2017-2-27_5-0-1.png

Maybe, 'Labs' = Tech; and 'Lab' = Science? This is not the case with Direction/Lab.com (MK Domain) described as 'A Tech Incubator'. Whereas Scorch/Lab.com (Not MK Domain) is described as 'A StartUp Incubator' excluding it from 'Tech' search results.

upload_2017-2-27_5-11-2.png

**Disclaimer** This is just a single subset. Do not read too far into it. Other subsets may show varying results. Full 'tech' audit to be released soon for group analysis.

Last edited:
•••
Why is Scorch/Labs.com (MK Domain) tagged / searchable via 'Tech', and Scorch/Lab.com (Not MK Domain) not?

Show attachment 50932

VS

Show attachment 50931

Granted, the singular 'lab' has the 'Science' tag which the plural 'labs ' doesn't. Though, per the last BrandBucket Newsletter, 'Tech' ranks 2nd in internal searches at 9% whereas 'Science' isn't ranked in the top 15.

Show attachment 50933

Maybe, 'Labs' = Tech; and 'Lab' = Science? This is not the case with Direction/Lab.com (MK Domain) described as 'A Tech Incubator'. Whereas Scorch/Lab.com (Not MK Domain) is described as 'A StartUp Incubator' excluding it from 'Tech' search results.

Show attachment 50934

**Disclaimer** This is just a single subset. Do not read too far into it. Other subsets may show varying results. Full 'tech' audit to be released soon for group analysis.
I cant be surprised with anything about BB these days.

•••
It's come to my attention that several posts have been removed by different moderators for "off-topic / personal information / antagonistic posting". Please keep in mind that this is a review thread for brandbucket, launching personal attacks against members of brandbucket or targeting their staffs personal domains is not part of a brandbucket review.

Please keep the thread on-topic and do not reply to this post in this thread. That would also be off-topic.

If you have questions, you can private message me.

Thanks for understanding and for your help to keep this bb review thread on-topic with bb only.

•••
•••
•••
so I posted the below on the Slack channel (my post so i can share here as its my own content)

Well. I think I owe BB and they owe me a response to this concern that Im raised a lot before and will raise for the last time coz its really a time waste it seems ... The search results are not very solid as its claimed... its still observed that a lot of results are a bit biased towards some sellers... I for one, im not happy with my names positioning, not to mention the sales rates... Before the optimistic crowd jumps on , my names are 60% aftermarket bought, with some names in the top 1% of quality on BB like OnlineCareer.com and Obro.com ... I am a solid investor that believes in one thing "Numbers"... Ive been in this business for 3 years with a solid ROI of 35% net profit annually... been in and out of BB before and unfortunately close to being out again this time.. I dont have the time to dive deeper again and get a lot of data to back my arguments above, but Ive dont it before randomly for some keywords, and some others have done the same exercise on NamePros for other Keywords (I didnt like their language though demonstrating the facts), but they remain facts! I Wont be pointing fingers as its a waste of time, but I wont tolerate the type of responses like "thats not true, Mr X has 50 domains and has sold 4% of his portfolio last month which is more than BB personal domains being sold" ... Everyone is here for one purpose, MONEY! I am writing this post to defend the hours wasted in relisting the names on BB on my return last november! To be honest, I dont get it how such a successful business is losing a lot of loyal customers... one thing is behind customer retention "Customer Satisfaction" ... Lots of people are here just because they are stuck, others because they hope others hoping to become ambassadors chasing perks they dont know what it is... Im not one of these people, Im a money investor 1+1=2, I only believe again in numbers... These dont add up for me on BB with my return.. Margot is a fantastic business woman and Michael is a decent person... but at some point one should think about only money! BB is doing the same, having their own names in place is a prioritization of profit over 10% more customer satisfaction (again zero tolerance for overly optimistic people that would argue with this)... its an undeniable fact that if you survey it, you will get at least 10% satisfaction increase if you removed your names off the platform... but anyways, thats a strategy you guys have and its too late or impossible to discuss... I personally, had a job offer to work for the world's best Domain brokerage firm, but refused because they wanted me to stop selling my own names as its a conflict of interest... I did respect that clause in the contract, they put customers first! As a result, I do recommend their services to date, coz they put the customer FIRST! I hope no one got offended here, but as I said I owed you an honest feedback! Best of luck everyone selling on BB

Then someone from BB pm me saying if I believe I can sell better on another platform, then it makes sense for me to look elsewhere...

so, after being further offended by that PM, I immediately messaged BB to officially remove my names for good... I will never ever use BB again and I DONT recommend them for anyone... not because of the reasons in the post above only, but because their private response to me confirms that we as sellers/customers/partners (whatever you want to name it) are not treated in the way we should've by any means!

Enough said! Good luck to everyone!

•••
I personally think bb has changed. They scam the little guy for listing fees so they can advertise there own stuff. They don't care about us. That's how I feel based on my experience.

Last edited:
•••
I would never use BB anymore. Fees and your listing never gets enough exposure. Also I believe they are grabbing dropped names for sellers and registering themselves to list.

•••
Happy to report that I have made 4 sales in the past 4 months with only 100 published names.

BB has been a life changing experience for me.

ps...I am a domainer newbie....so if I can achieve these results so can anyone else.

•••
Happy to report that I have made 4 sales in the past 4 months with only 100 published names.

ps...I am a domainer newbie....so if I can achieve these results so can anyone else.
Can you please tell us if being in the slack channel helped you? Because it seems to be that way sir.

•••

Maybe you should tell them that they should apply for 'BB family' badge to have these results. It's like in Rusia, where just 5% of the people are getting rich, because they are in the big soviet family. It's cheap for BB to push some of family member domains on the front page...they get free advertising for life(without paying).

•••
Being in the slack channel has helped me a lot.

Slack has enabled me to converse with like minded people, share ideas, pass on tips etc.

•••
As far as I know, anyone who has one published name can join the slack channel. If that isn't the case, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure why the slack channel is becoming another source for conspiracy about favoring certain members. It's just a place where sellers can discuss BB. I think BB's staff should be 100% transparent about what they're getting and discuss the search algorithm and the findings people are seeing, but as far as I know- no regular seller is getting preferential treatment. I certainly am not.

I'd like to also make clear that I'm not the one who reported this thread to NP. I'm fine with everyone speaking their mind whether it's positive or negative. However, making accusations about sellers who have done nothing wrong and trying to make it seem like they're shady or getting benefits because they're "BB defenders" or "in cahoots with BB" is something that I think people should think about twice.

Last edited:
•••
I stopped adding domains to my BrandBucket portfolio months ago (and recently sold off part of my BB portfolio here at NP). Not because of disappointing results (my dashboard indicates a sell through of 6.22% and average sales price of $3,047 for the past 12 months, top 3% of sellers), but because I'm disappointed by the unreliability and unpredictability of their management team.

I invested a lot of time and money into building up my BrandBucket portfolio and followed all of their rules. Then suddenly they decided to give every seller a character score, penalizing actions they never warned against before implementing this "new" set of rules. So even though I never broke any explicitly stated rules at BB, I suddenly had a restricted account in bad standing (in my case, mainly because I removed accepted names that I felt were underpriced by BB, and BB were not wiling to increase suggested prices, so I never proceeded to list them - something they never had any problem with prior to instituting their seller score system). I’ve contacted BB about this, and they have reiterated that my account should be in bad standing, as per their parameters for judging this. I know there are many sellers who never broke any of BrandBucket's rules, who now have accounts in bad standing, because they did something that BB later decided was not okay (retroactively changing the consequences of something they never had any problems with initially...).

A lot of sellers, including myself, spent a lot of time and money on building up a BB portfolio, finding domains to list at BrandBucket, paying $10 listing fee’s, industry-high 30% commission on sales + $100-$500 logo fee’s, and paypal payout fee’s after that, all while following their rules. But despite all the $ I and other regular sellers sent to BB, they suddenly decided to put a lot of good sellers accounts into bad standing, in an attempt to fix many of their own unwise decisions, such as permitting the BB reseller market, and the negative consequences that brought about. Yet, their actions to remedy all the structural bias favoring their inner circle have been minimal in comparison (and they have not done anything to "penalize" past misuses of the system by management). This clearly revealed their priorities, along with their willingness to throw their rule-abiding, listing-fee-paying sellers under the bus in an attempt to fix their own bad business decisions, while fully protecting their own interests, rather than properly owing up to their own mistakes, and treating their sellers (who are also their paying customers) fairly. Seeing this unfold has been really disappointing as a seller. As a result of these developments, I don't see BrandBucket as a dependable partner for the future, that will look out of my interests as a seller (or even treat me fairly), but will instead keep pursuing what is best for themselves, even if at times it is directly at odds with the interest of their regular sellers (who are paying customers who helped build up their business, and who make up the majority of their inventory).

I hope everyone who is still building up their BB portfolio will see great results from their investment, but also advice against focusing your entire domaining strategy towards only building up a BB portfolio. Marketplace-wide sales/results at BB are in large part subject to the decisions of their management team, and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding where the platform is headed, how they might arrange their search algorithm (as the heated, now deleted, discussion about that in this thread showed), what kinds of rules or restrictions might suddenly be imposed on sellers, etc. One year ago, I never would have expected BB to deem my account in “bad standing” today, and one year ago, I would never have expected BB to have 40,000 or 50,000 names today (it appears they no longer display this number?). Similarly, I have no idea where they will be one year from now, in early 2018, so it's hard to make sound long term domain investing plans amidst so much uncertainty, and for that reason I am now focusing on the more stable and predicable model of just selling names through the good old free-to-list marketplaces (e.g. Afternic) instead.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back