IT.COM

discuss Brandable .org and who buys them?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is there any scope of return in brandable .org? I had a couple of them, pretty good, tried outbounding but the buyer only wanted a .COM of the name.

Never had any luck with them but I see people investing in them. What do you think is the potential there?
Also, who buys .org?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. Little. Organisations.

•••
When i look sometimes on namebio.com for .org domains sales there are mostly reported sales under 500$. Only few daily sales goes over it. I think only people for who .com version is too expensive for the moment can be interested in .org version.

•••
When i look sometimes on namebio.com for .org domains sales there are mostly reported sales under 500$. Only few daily sales goes over it. I think only people for who .com version is too expensive for the moment can be interested in .org version.
or if the .com is developed.......it then becomes an option

I recently sold LearnX / org - they have a site up and running, they could not get the .com as it being used by another company......

•••
or if the .com is developed.......it then becomes an option

I recently sold LearnX / org - they have a site up and running, they could not get the .com as it being used by another company......

Nice one! Would've thought a play on 'learn anything' but the Linux reference is quite clever.

•••
Depends to which category your dot org brandable belongs. I have noticed dot org most used by religious and student related organizations.

•••
for org no value in 2021 no sales .. i do not buy them or not reg anymore.
the same with. net domains just awful.

only coms.

•••
'Not for Profit' is a common business model these days. They operate as charities but still cover all their business expenses, property etc and of course employee salaries. The .org still suits their needs and quite often in the inventive/Brandable name space.

I certainly wouldn't give-up on Brandable .orgs. But you do need to identify the target markets and not register at Random. Education, fund raising, Animal welfare and many more hit the nail on the head. They do need to be very appropriate .Orgs. Look for terms that can relate to general fund raising.

Not For Profit Organisations are far easier to set-up than Registered Charities , they appeal to Local and national needs and quite often you'll find the operators are early retired directors and the like. I've certainly sold a few 'Creative' .Orgs over the years in the low $x,xxx bracket

Last edited:
•••
Org sale is abstract as you know what purpose they hold ...Everything is a flood

•••
Is there any scope of return in brandable .org?
Different people mean different things by the nonword brandable. Do you mean made up words, creative spellings or combinations only (e.g. Lyft or Shopify) or do you mean keywords that could also be brands (e.g. Apple). I think .org in the latter definitely have a sales possibility. Some great combinations probably in madeup as well, but because the registration of .org is not as saturated as .com, more challenging since easier for end users to make up their own words to register. Also, I think many looking for brandable names tend to use brandable marketplaces, and I think most or even all do not handle .org.

Also, who buys .org?
I think it continues to broaden. As has been mentioned above, there are many using a nonprofit model that does not imply charitable. Also as already noted, some areas (health, education, assistance, reference and others) seem more likely to use. Also private foundations and nonprofit arms of businesses. Much money spent on causes and lobbying, is another obvious application.

I am in early stages of working on a look at .org sales which will include end use to some degree.

Bob

•••
Hi

stay away from .org

nobody buys them

they have no resell value

nr-imo....

•••
Hi

stay away from .org

nobody buys them

they have no resell value

nr-imo....
What's that I smell.........

A faint whiff of BS on the breeze :xf.laugh::ROFL:

Edit.......

Coming from the guy who's signature is stacked with (quality) .org's :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••

A faint whiff of BS on the breeze

Hi

if BS is thrown against the wall, just to see what sticks
then it should be given back, in return.

imo...

•••
Hi

if BS is thrown against the wall, just to see what sticks
then it should be given back, in return.

imo...
Maybe BS crossed a line, maybe not, maybe deflection tactics would of been been more PC :xf.wink: - either way I'm still sticking with it :xf.grin:

•••
Maybe BS crossed a line,

Hi

not tor me, Nick.

when there is no line, to define, in a clueless mind
then how can you put a circle around it/

as there can't be any deflection,
if there is no direction....
of the wanderer

they have to be focused, first.

imo...

•••

A faint whiff of BS on the breeze :xf.laugh::ROFL:

Edit.......

Coming from the guy who's signature is stacked with (quality) .org's :xf.wink:

Lol. Scaring the competition. Just joking.

But on a serious note, newbies should just stick to .coms for faster sales . .org is more like taking the scenic route. You will get there if you have great names. And you will feel good when that .org sale comes. But look elsewhere if you are looking for quick turnarounds.

PS: Stay away from brandable .orgs.

Last edited:
•••
Even dictionary orgs not selling..
e.g. Goldies.org
Could be fit for gold coins. The domain previously owned by Future Media Architects (FMA).

Wests.org not selling even for reg fee

Brandable works only with dot com

imjho

Last edited:
•••
I have had a few .org domains sell via afternic bin. In the last twelve months or so these .orgs have sold...

TheOthers - $1299
Cancan - $500
Kamu - $300
Wrld - $4000 (Just sold end of january)

So, not very many, but probably one every 3-4 months. Not great but okay. Much better than .net imo.

Last edited:
•••
Of possible interest, some time ago I did some analysis of the 123 sales in 2019 in .org (at least NameBio recorded) that are $5000 or more. See this link for details:
https://www.namepros.com/blog/a-loo...sion-prices-length-types-venues-uses.1183640/
but here are a few highlights:
  • The majority are single word.
  • The sectors are pretty mixed but reference, review, causes, technology all had a number of sales.
  • See graph for spread with domain length. Surprisingly constant out to 11 characters, and longest was 25.
  • Few numeric or alphanumeric major sales in .org
  • Average prices pretty stable over years, not much different from .com, except fewer very high prices.
  • About half were in active use at the time I checked.
I am planning on a similar 2020 article that will try to look in more detail at the use category. In the 2019 I did not look specifically at made-up brandable, but don't recall many. In comments, or on social media, I recall someone mentioning success with brandable though. And in post just before this @Silentptnr pointed out some of his recent brandable .org sales.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Even dictionary orgs not selling..
e.g. Goldies.org
Could be fit for gold coins. The domain previously owned by Future Media Architects (FMA).

Wests.org not selling even for reg fee

Brandable works only with dot com

imjho

Unfortunately, Wests isn't a good name in .org and not even good for .com. BTW, who says Norths, Easts and Souths?

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes

Slightly off topic but since we're all discussing .org and you're Canadian :) ...

Do you see .org in use a lot in Canada? My past 4 .org sales were to Canadians of which 2 to French Canadians, single word French domains. (3 Q3/Q4 past year, and 1 in January I think).

As .CA is a rather strong ccTLD I was surprised about the number of offers and sales to endusers from that region over such a short period of time.

•••
Slightly off topic but since we're all discussing .org and you're Canadian :) ...

Do you see .org in use a lot in Canada? My past 4 .org sales were to Canadians of which 2 to French Canadians, single word French domains.

For Canadians .ca and .com are the most recognized.

I think familiarity with, and perhaps more importantly respect for, .org is pretty high though. Most support some nonprofits on .org.

That said, I suspect that your experience might simply be small number statistics - congratulations on the sales.

Your question made me wonder though three possible things that might contribute to .org however.
  • Setting up organizations that are charitable, nonprofit but not charitable, promoting some cause, connecting people through networks, all seem hugely active in Canada this decade. .ORG is a natural choice for those (although if Canadian only I think most would prefer .ca even more).
  • Phishing is a huge concern here. Probably everywhere. There is both perception and truth that .org is less phished than .com or .net. Partly because of noble nature of many on .org, of course.
  • Your question prompted me to wonder if Canadians have a stronger preference for single word than some perhaps. I think many would prefer a one word .org to a two word .com, in general. I might be wrong, and have not tried to study numbers, but thinking about the small businesses in my neighbourhood a lot secure some sort of single word .ca, have trouble finding many 2 word .com. Of course the big international players secure both a .com and a .ca.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
.org are highly popular among non-profit, charity, religious, foundation types relating to philanthropy. I think .org are still strong among for-profit businesses, isn't a big deal, depends how fussy someone is. Of course .com is preferred, the price can vary greatly. From a credibility standpoint, I would suggest people generally don't turn their nose up if a company has the .org, opposed to the .com

•••
.org are highly popular among non-profit, charity, religious, foundation types relating to philanthropy. I think .org are still strong among for-profit businesses, isn't a big deal, depends how fussy someone is. Of course .com is preferred, the price can vary greatly. From a credibility standpoint, I would suggest people generally don't turn their nose up if a company has the .org, opposed to the .com
Actually, I don't see people turning their noses up on companies using the .org. Compared to the .net, . org domains seem to be first choice for some organizations over the .com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back