NameSilo

Bought Stolen Domain Here On NamePros...Just Got Repossessed!

Labeled as discuss in NamePros Comments and Feedback started by Silentptnr, Jul 9, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

Replies:
Views:

1. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Member VIP

I thought I should let everyone know that a domain name was taken from my GoDaddy account today, by GoDaddy. The domain was fully in my account and I still have the transfer confirmation from GoDaddy.

What tipped me off is that earlier today, they simply sent me an email saying that "I" cancelled the domain registration. I knew I had not, so I called. After a long hold while they "researched", they explained that the domain was a stolen domain and that they repossessed it.

GoDaddy provided little additional information. The rep did say that the domain would be returned to it's rightful owner or if not, be sold at some point (can you believe that).

I am shocked that this happened. The domain is gxog (dot) com. I bought it here on NP a few days ago. I paid for it on Dan.com (Undeveloped), and the seller was @proton1 .

I have reached out to the seller but haven't heard back yet. The seller is currently selling another 4L domain here. @Eric Lyon , you might want to take a look.

Anyway, hopefully I will recover the funds from Dan.com or Paypal.

@Joe Styler if there is anything you can do to help or take a look, it would be great.

I don't know how GoDaddy was the registrar, then all of a sudden decided to repossess the domain I just bought. Then refer me back to Dan.com. All with no real explanation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Wow. Bad scene.

At least you're taking it one step at a time not jumping the gun and doing your research. Best approach.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019 at 10:05 PM
  3. artstar

artstar Restricted

umm how can you buy it on np and the pay for it on dan? do u mean u found it thru np and it was listed for sale on dan by a np member?

4. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

5. Silentptnr

Of course you're right.

6. wesley sweatman

wesley sweatman durfer Gold Account VIP

7. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

Btw, proton1 sold a few 4Ls for cheap (as in $85) and demanded bitcoin. I bought one from him as did a few others.

I did find it a tad suspicious, but I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

8. FavourB

FavourB Established Member

Huh
    When I hear these I just wonder how it happens

9. Silentptnr

Yes, he/she asked me for bitcoin but I opted to use the other payment option listed which was Dan.com. I felt more safe, but now look. :dead:

10. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

I was worried about a scam, not a stolen domain. However, he willingly pushed first so I had no problems with it. And the transaction was smooth, so no complaints there. I already sold mine.

However, he was in a rush. Really looking to get rid of his domains quick and dropping prices. I really did wonder what was going on there. My most reasonable explanation was that he was looking to get into the btc rush fast and profit from it so he got rid of his domains in turn of a better investment. Might not be the case now that I know this.

11. Eric Lyon

Eric Lyon Member Services, NamePros Super Moderator PRO Gold Account VIP Trusted Contest Holder

Hello,

Please add me to any direct messages you have with this member so I can investigate further and get more involved.

Thanks,

12. Silentptnr

Done. Thanks

13. NonHipster

NonHipster Established Member

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident! Please keep us all informed of exactly what happened and how it gets resolved. All the best to you!

14. Silentptnr

Hi, it was an NP auction with Dan payment option or bitcoin.

15. NonHipster

NonHipster Established Member

The worst!

16. .X.

.X. NameFeature.com Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

I really hope that you get your money back, @Silentptnr, and thanks for giving the community a heads up.

As I said at the time of the similar previous case, I think that registrars should not be able to repossess without transparency re the situation and also without involving some third party in agreeing that the repossession is justified. The statement about selling it if they can't return to original owner is certainly troubling, and I look forward to hearing the official GD response.

I see that the proton account is now auto closed.

Really hope that GoDaddy, PayPal or DAN make it right for you.

Bob

18. karmaco

karmaco Top Member VIP

2nd time this happened recently with a GoDaddy name. Hope you get your money back @Silentptnr but it’s GoDaddy who should be in the hot seat for shoddy practices (why do they always lie in their initial contact and why so many stolen names there) not Undeveloped.

Dan probably allowed this thief his payment in crypto which is a risk of this very sort of thing. No trail no refunds.

I know it sounds a bit harsh but nobody should be allowed to buy or sell here for at least 3 to 6 months of active membership. This is getting too common and people are joining for this very purpose.

If somebody isn’t a long time active member and asks for crypto I would not proceed.

19. kandyan

kandyan Established Member

Thanks for the heads up.. Hope it gets resolved amicably.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!