Dynadot

'Repossessed by GoDaddy' - Anyone know what that means?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
This is the first time I've seen this in a domain's whois:

Registrant:
Repossessed by Go Daddy
14455 N Hayden Rd
Suite 219
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
United States

Registered through: Go Daddy
Domain Name: KAYLYNSLEVIN.COM
Created on: 13-Jan-12
Expires on: 13-Jan-15
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Go Daddy, Repossessed by [email protected]

notice the email addy is repossesseddomain [at] godaddy, so this is obviously some service they have set up.

The domain name (KaylynSlevin dot com) is of a child actress; she was just mentioned on a popular TV show a month or so ago, and immediately her name was regged. But now the registrant is showing that 'repossessed by godaddy' thang.

I've never heard of that, and wondering if it is some service GD has set up, for seizing possible TM names or any name in dispute?

Anyone seen this in the whois of other domains, and anyone know what it is for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would guess that's what happens when payment is reversed (charge back/fraudulent payment).

•••
•••
Repossessed by Go Daddy is associated with ~125,106 other domains.

I've been seeing this on a lot of domains lately, and I mean a lot!

If there is any TM issues, I would think that Godaddy would not resell the domains. I have noticed it on generic domains and domains that seem like there might be a TM issue.

I would be very pissed if I bought a domain from them that was repossessed with a TM issue. I try to do Do Diligence, but I miss some things sometimes.

One other thing that I've noticed is that these repossessed domains are listed in the aftermarket not for the $12 fee but for $25! I wonder what that is about?

I was going to start a thread on this, but found this old thread. We need to bring this issue up again because it looks like there are more domains in this category lately. Maybe someone else has had this issue.

Has any had a problem after purchasing a repossessed domain from them? Anyone get a C&D letter?

•••
I would say that this is in keeping with their "we can do anything we want with any domain at any time" policy. I'd suggest in this case they are protecting the interests of the child star (assuming it's not being auctioned.. which would seem suspect on any repossessed domain).

•••
The repossessed info will vanish from whois once a repossessed name finds a new registrant. Not sure about child stars, or celebrity names, as in this case.

I have purchased several repossessed names over the years on GD auctions. They seem to typically have a $25 start price, which makes them easier to spot.

Many reasons a name can get repossessed, but I would think it's payment issues, more often than not. However, it could be protection of the person, as was indicated in prior posts. Best to inquire direct with GD, or PM Joe Styler for general reasoning.

•••
I just found one today that is priced at $40!
I wonder why they are pricing them differently? Will the price drop if it doesn't sell at $40 or $25?

•••
It could be the starting threshold, or earlier pricing level, but I'm not sure. I usually notice them at the $25 price, generally within a few days before closing date. Perhaps Joe can add some insight into the progression of repossessed names on GD auctions.

•••
The $40 domain's auction is about to end so I will keep you updated if the price drops. I know the $12 auctions go down eventually to $5, so this will be interesting to see where this goes.

•••
The domain that was $40 didn't go down in price when the auction ended. It was relisted for $40 again with a 14 day auction.
They must think it is worth $40. Odd

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back