Dynadot

"Blocked Status" - New Addition to Domain Status Lookup

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

matt_bodis

Bodis.comTop Member
Bodis.com Staff
Impact
We've added something to our domain status tool that may be useful for a lot of domain owners. The "blocked" status which is provided by our primary ad provider. I believe currently, no other company offers this information.

A domain can be in "blocked" status even if it is not faillisted by G. When a domain is in blocked status, it is neither faillisted, nor is it serving ads from the primary ad provider. Thus it is a bit in limbo (with the exception of the fact that there will be tier2 ads showing).

Feel free to run your domains through the status tool to determine if any are on blocked status, found here: https://www2.bodis.com/account/domain-status-tool

Why can domains be on this status? Several reasons but the top two reasons are either a) Past malvertising appearing on the domain or b) Inappropriate adult domain

For the malvertising reason, we've made a lot of changes over the past year or so to alleviate this issue. I believe we take one of the toughest stances on this issue in the industry because it is not good for anyone if a domain ends up on the "blocked" status and cannot be properly monetized with G. That's something none of us want. However, other companies don't quite seem to care. Nor do they offer this information to their customers (makes you wonder why).

A domain can be on this status as short as a few minutes or hours, or as long as forever. There is no definite timeframe.

You can find more information about this status here: https://www2.bodis.com/blog/new-status-added-to-status-tool-blocked-status

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think, one more column in the Management area will be more useful... To quickly sort the blocked domains...

•••
That was greatly needed.. thanks.

•••
I think, one more column in the Management area will be more useful... To quickly sort the blocked domains...

Yes that is on the todo list. We'll break it out and provide in Manage. The issue with it is a bit tricky though. Our ad provider has a limit on the # of queries we can do per day. The # of domains on our platform far exceeds that limit, and the blocked status can change. So we'll have to provide a cached status of it but have to be careful to make sure it isn't greatly outdated.

Want to clarify one more thing - some other companies don't offer this status while others do offer it but they mix it into the faillist status and also don't provide the reason.

We decided it's best if we provide the true status with the true reason as given to us by G. So now what you see via the status tool is also identical to the information that we get from G.

Next step - provide it in Manage UI.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back