IT.COM

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Once in awhile I see people bidding on their own domains at NJ. I would think it would be frowned upon.

Today's seems more obvious than normal. Or am I missing something here?

Airlinejobs.com owned by Andy Booth at Booth.com and high bidder is BQDNcom (James Booth).

3 bids down we see Boothcom as a bidder.

Same thing with MovieZone.com. Owned by Andy Booth in which he currently appears to be the high bidder.

High Bid: $2,475 USD by boothcom

They actually won their own domain airplanesforsale.com. Im guessing it didnt get as high as they wanted so needed to protect it.

Bidder Amount Date
bqdncom $2,001 7/17/2017 12:23 PM
boothcom $1,950 7/17/2017 12:23 PM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Listen, I'm done arguing this point but this part is critical. A SHILL BID is a bid where the person is hiding, using an alias or a proxy. If it is laid out in the TOS and the owner is clearly identified in the bidding process and the auction is a forced sale auction where no party can renege and a sale will happen no matter what, it is NOT a shill bid. It is an alternative auction structure.

Whether you agree with my proposal or not isn't the issue. Attacking me about it is WRONG and shows a lack of intellect. I welcomed intellectual debate and discussion. What I got was pitch forks and knives.

At least this episode has shown me who my friends are! The list got shorter.
What you are proposing is fraud. Your just making an argument on the beneficiary side while completely neglecting the victim with your theory..In other words, you are trying to legitimize what society has deemed criminal....

•••
Listen, I'm done arguing this point but this part is critical. A SHILL BID is a bid where the person is hiding, using an alias or a proxy. If it is laid out in the TOS and the owner is clearly identified in the bidding process and the auction is a forced sale auction where no party can renege and a sale will happen no matter what, it is NOT a shill bid. It is an alternative auction structure.

Whether you agree with my proposal or not isn't the issue. Attacking me about it is WRONG and shows a lack of intellect. I welcomed intellectual debate and discussion. What I got was pitch forks and knives.

At least this episode has shown me who my friends are! The list got shorter.

When did I personally attack you mate? I don't even have a relationship with you and not sure what you are referring to unless you are talking in general. Lack of intellect ? Not interested in a personal war of words if I offended you not taking a bait to argue too. Good Luck

•••
What you are proposing is fraud. Your just making an argument on the beneficiary side while completely neglecting the victim with your theory..In other words, you are trying to legitimize what society has deemed criminal....
If I'm aware that the owner is bidding on his own item, and that's the auction's format, how can I claim there's fraud?

•••
HI,

Sorry for delay i was traveling and cannot believe what has been said.

Everyone let me explain:

Winner888:
I have a automated bidding system that would backorder ALL the domains and bid last minute to grab bargains.
Its a script works via api would bid on all CVCV up to $2500-3000 i set daily limit on the patterns i would want to buy.

On slow days i got good deals on short domains i trade in
LLLL.com / CVCV.com / LL.com / LLL.com / NNNN.com / NNNNN.com / CCC.com etc...

I won allot of domains and a few of mine so this got closed down months ago already due to this..
Im trying to fix to be able to exclude all my domains.

Bids that hit reserve:
We do allot of next bid wins. Most of you don't know how this works.
My auctions have a reserve price. On the last day of the auction or in the last few hours
I see what the high bids are and then send namejet a list of domains ask to to set next bid wins.
So it is not that someone is bidding just under reserve.
I am lowering the reserve to just above the highest bid so that the next bid hits reserve and the domain will sell.
Just lowering reserve. Flippa has this same function built into their seller platform. You can reduce reserve any time.
Buyers are bidding the amount that they are willing to bid. I am not changing that.
I just lower reserve with next bid wins so that more domains sell.

Regarding MediaOptions:
I have done business with them for many years on the buyer’s side, seller’s side and as a broker.

Regarding HDKN:
I know HDKN and he is a big buyer of short domains, which is what I sell. I am not HDKN. I do not have access to HDKN account.
I sent him (and others) my featured listings.
All his bids and purchases are legitimate.
It has happened that I have bought some domains back from him in the past when I felt the prices were too low.

I'm sorry that I have caused so much problems and confusion. I never intended to do anything that would harm anyone.

Oliver.

•••
•••
•••
So now we have to track down who HDKN is again?? Even though all the whois and footsteps lead to it being Oliver Hoger??

Something FISHY is happening and we are not on a fish boat.

HI,

Sorry for delay i was traveling and cannot believe what has been said.

Everyone let me explain:

Winner888:
I have a automated bidding system that would backorder ALL the domains and bid last minute to grab bargains.
Its a script works via api would bid on all CVCV up to $2500-3000 i set daily limit on the patterns i would want to buy.

On slow days i got good deals on short domains i trade in
LLLL.com / CVCV.com / LL.com / LLL.com / NNNN.com / NNNNN.com / CCC.com etc...

I won allot of domains and a few of mine so this got closed down months ago already due to this..
Im trying to fix to be able to exclude all my domains.

Bids that hit reserve:
We do allot of next bid wins. Most of you don't know how this works.
My auctions have a reserve price. On the last day of the auction or in the last few hours
I see what the high bids are and then send namejet a list of domains ask to to set next bid wins.
So it is not that someone is bidding just under reserve.
I am lowering the reserve to just above the highest bid so that the next bid hits reserve and the domain will sell.
Just lowering reserve. Flippa has this same function built into their seller platform. You can reduce reserve any time.
Buyers are bidding the amount that they are willing to bid. I am not changing that.
I just lower reserve with next bid wins so that more domains sell.

Regarding MediaOptions:
I have done business with them for many years on the buyer’s side, seller’s side and as a broker.

Regarding HDKN:
I know HDKN and he is a big buyer of short domains, which is what I sell. I am not HDKN. I do not have access to HDKN account.
I sent him (and others) my featured listings.
All his bids and purchases are legitimate.
It has happened that I have bought some domains back from him in the past when I felt the prices were too low.

I'm sorry that I have caused so much problems and confusion. I never intended to do anything that would harm anyone.

Oliver.

•••
You typed into the wrong browser @MediaOptions? are you and @xn--v4h.com one in the same??
Why do you find it surprising to find there are at least two people can both think beyond the mob mentality? Before you accuse someone of something you better have damn good evidence, otherwise anyone can charge anyone of anything. I don't know why people want to play that game because they wouldn't like it to happen to them. Follow the GOLDEN RULE guys! Read the interview with Craig Newmark here, and find out the rule he plays by to help him with success: https://www.sonshi.com/newmark.html

•••

So you extensively bid on your own auctions and you were not banned from NameJet. Am I missing something?

•••
Sometimes the bird that sqawk the loudest gets the worm the fastest. Better to shoot multiple times and have a few hits than never shoot and never get a hit.

Why do you find it surprising to find there are at least two people can both think beyond the mob mentality? Before you accuse someone of something you better have damn good evidence, otherwise anyone can charge anyone of anything. I don't know why people want to play that game because they wouldn't like it to happen to them. Follow the GOLDEN RULE guys! Read the interview with Craig Newmark here, and find out the rule he plays by to help him with success:

•••
So now we have to track down who HDKN is again?? Even though all the whois and footsteps lead to it being Oliver Hoger??

Something FISHY is happening and we are not on a fish boat.

Yes, something fishy is happening and YOU "Fraud Alert" are a part of it. You, Mr. Anonymous setup your account yesterday, are the real problem. You clearly have an agenda. A personal vendetta. You, Andrea Sabatini, Andy Kelly & others are the REAL problem with this industry. Jealous & worthless trolls who have nothing better to do than attack people without cause.

You are jealous because I'm doing me better than you're doing you. Sorry not sorry.

Get a life. Even better, get a job.

•••

Oliver.

Thanks for stopping by @Oliver hoger

Can you comment on the Booth brothers? ie the apparent listing of several of their domains...

After all it was their collusion (ie bidding of their own apparent domains) that got this entire discussion started.

•••
So automated bots are allowed in NJ? Does that mean anyone can send their bots in? Or is this a special concierge service? Lol. Does anybody know in the TOS?

•••
So it appears that here we've got a proof that an individual "Oliver Hoger" and "hkdn", while may or may not be the same person or entity, are close enough to share the same parking account @ ParkingCrew. Correct me if I am wrong ?

Correct. And the domains that @promo is selling are in the same account at ParkingCrew as well, based on their DRID.

Donny

I do not have access to HDKN account.

@Oliver Hoger: So, did you allow hkdn to access your ParkingCrew account?

•••
So what happens when you bid up other bidders on your own auctions, and make them incur more, were they ever refunded?

•••
So automated bots are allowed in NJ? Does that mean anyone can send their bots in? Or is this a special concierge service? Lol. Does anybody know in the TOS?
This is called an API. Almost every site in the world will give you one if they approve you. All larger businesses use them to automate actions. If you conduct a large business and work with websites it almost impossible to work without having access to their API.

•••
This is becoming a real lesson in the advanced, and complex nature, of domain auction platforms. Using bots, faxing Next Bid Wins....these are tools that I didn't even know about. It is clear that big spenders get exceptions, like mistakingly bidding on their own auctions when it is clearly not allowed.

Last edited:
•••
This is becoming a real lesson in the advanced, and complex nature, of domain auction platforms. Using bots, faxing Next Bid Wins....these are tools that I didn't even know about. It is clear that big spenders get exceptions, like mistaking bidding on their own auctions.
That's namejets fault, and since they let someone have 2 accounts, and usernames, they should refund anyone who had to pay more because the seller decided to bid on their own auction.

Something tells me namejet did not want that info out, as they hid this from their clients, and caused their clients financial harm in allowing such actions.

•••
This is becoming a real lesson in the advanced, and complex nature, of domain auction platforms. Using bots, faxing Next Bid Wins....these are tools that I didn't even know about. It is clear that big spenders get exceptions, like mistaking bidding on their own auctions.
Exceptions? It's like a guy riding a horse say that a guy that is driving a car is cheating. An API lets you manage and track your business in 1/10 of the time that you can by hand. It's technology for busy people. All technology can be used for negative things but it doesn't make the technology bad.

•••
It is reassuring to know that
Exceptions? It's like a guy riding a horse say that a guy that is driving a car is cheating. An API lets you manage and track your business in 1/10 of the time that you can by hand. It's technology for busy people. All technology can be used for negative things but it doesn't make the technology bad.
I was referring to Oliver's comment about having bid on his own auctions by mistake.

If a "mistake" is made, certainly you are responsible for your bot. :)

•••
What's the difference between a bot accidentally bidding on your own domain and a person bidding on their own domain?

•••
It is reassuring to know that

I was referring to Oliver's comment about having bid on his own auctions by mistake.

If a "mistake" is made, certainly you are responsible for your bot. :)

Absolutely. Having an API means you can remove your auctions if you want. Or not if you don't want

•••
Using bots, faxing Next Bid Wins....these are tools that I didn't even know about. It is clear that big spenders get exceptions
True to some extent but even at Godaddy any old shmo can reduce the reserve price while there are active bidders, I believe up to the final day of auction. I've done it numerous times.

•••
Don't get me wrong. It is reassuring to know that these domain investors truly are knowingly bidding high amounts on domains for the purpose of winning them. I hope they continue to bid these amounts. I too believe the value is truly there in short domains.

•••

As stated by others API's care common.

upload_2017-7-20_19-33-36.png

I haven't found anything about changing reserves yet. Can anyone clarify what is allowed?

I think the possible trick becomes, because reserves appear to be allowed to be changed, somebody in cahoots could potentially bid the domain to just under the reserve price showing value in the domain, just like any other auction where the buyer spends more than initially intended, but figure why not -- others see the same value I do so it won't be a huge loss is liquidation is needed, then because the reserve was also lowered from the initial estimated reserve maybe this is vague because of the vague range revealed in reserves the next real bidder's bid becomes valid at a price point the one's allegedly orchestrating the scheme are willing to sell for.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/giant-shill-bidding-operation-at-namejet-exposed.1013479/
upload_2017-7-20_19-34-57.png

•••
Back