IT.COM

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Once in awhile I see people bidding on their own domains at NJ. I would think it would be frowned upon.

Today's seems more obvious than normal. Or am I missing something here?

Airlinejobs.com owned by Andy Booth at Booth.com and high bidder is BQDNcom (James Booth).

3 bids down we see Boothcom as a bidder.

Same thing with MovieZone.com. Owned by Andy Booth in which he currently appears to be the high bidder.

High Bid: $2,475 USD by boothcom

They actually won their own domain airplanesforsale.com. Im guessing it didnt get as high as they wanted so needed to protect it.

Bidder Amount Date
bqdncom $2,001 7/17/2017 12:23 PM
boothcom $1,950 7/17/2017 12:23 PM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
and I don't believe NamePros is allowed to operate with reserves.
Absolutely correct. I got mixed up with BIN prices here with NamePros auctions.

•••
Facts are Facts. Your domains and his domains are going to the same account, how could that be? Same person? Split personality maybe? Alter-ego? Alternative Identity?

•••
So I guess this means that the whole idea of Natural Bidding versus Unnatural Bidding doesn't mean anything. The NameJet platform allows for Unnatural bidding.

Also, the Next Bid Wins thing seems unfair. I think it is wrong. I understand adjusting a reserve but it should not be to "Next Bid Wins". It should be the opposite. You should be able to adjust your reserve but NOT so that the next bid wins.

Almost all the auction platforms in the industry allow you to reduce your reserve during the auction and until the reserve is met. Most auctions allow you to do it yourself like GoDaddy and Flippa. Namejet I have to email them to do it manual.

•••
Thanks. There is definitely times where this isn't a scheme. Probably way more often than not by far. I'm simply pointing out how it could work, and what to look for. Regarding using the word scheme, I believe I used the word allegedly and possible to make it clear this isn't stated as fact -- rather as a comment open for debate.

I searched fairly hard on industry blogs to see if people were allowed to lower a reserve price. Even searched for such updates, like on flippa, RESERVE LOWERED, but I couldn't find it for a NameJet auction. I found a lot of this happening on Flippa, and I don't believe NamePros is allowed to operate with reserves. If the mechanism to lower the reserve is not well known (or known only to a few or extended to a select few) than this shows an exception which may or may not give them access (possibly unavailable to others) to a possible lowered reserve upbid scheme.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, on Flippa you can't go from like...an $80 bid to a $4000 bid and then set the reserve to $4001. I believe if you bid $4000 on flippa, the next bid would be the next bid increment. (say $90...not sure what the increments are there). So the two aren't even comparable in this case.

And the allegation is that this $4000 bid in my scenario is a shill bid.

•••
Shane, I found spreader.com domain on your site and went from there. I've found almost 30 domains that HKDN owns that go to the same account that Oliver has with ParkingCrew. This can't be a mistake.

I'm sure he's moving them all to the correct account now.

Donny

•••
I'm pretty sure Flippa allows you to change your reserve amount later on in your auction.

Correct.

https://support.flippa.com/hc/en-us/articles/203110244-Site-Rules-for-Sellers
upload_2017-7-20_20-11-18.png

Now if we can get back into scope, it'd be great if somebody could please clarify NameJets policy?

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
buyer HKDN probably never updated the name servers or maybe never added domain to their own parking crew account
Not uncommon. I have numerous domains with buyers who never updated NS for many months to probably years. Primarily 4L Chip .com

•••
Not uncommon. I have numerous domains with buyers who never updated NS for many months to probably years. Primarily 4L Chip .com
Do you agree with this @Donny ?

•••
https://www.thedomains.com/2017/07/18/namepros-member-questions-people-bidding-auctions-namejet/

Plain and simple: Rosener has said: "If a domain is listed for sale with no reserve I actually don’t see the problem with an owner bidding for the domain."

and then even added, after a whole day of reflection and in "defense" of himself: "I said that if there is NO RESERVE then I think the practice of an owner bidding for their own domain should be allowed."

I would simply respond as follows: I would point out that contrary to what Rosener suggests, the MOST damage from shill bidding occurs when there is no reserve because that is when every bid made has a real impact on the actual price at which someone might end up having to pay for the auctioned item. In fact, shill bidding by the domain owner UNDERMINES the entire “no reserve” auction process and allows the owner to manipulate the price higher.

Even if I didn't feel that way, shill bidding is illegal.

The more he keeps saying how great it would be for owners to bid on their own no reserve auctions, the more I question his judgment and values, is all I am saying. If I implied anything more than that, I withdraw any accusations.

•••

Sure, we have all had somebody not change their information for a while or DNS. But I've found over 30 cases so far. One or two, I can see. This is a few too many.

Donny

•••
Take a look at MVXW.com. Sold at NameJet November 2016 to user "HKDN" with a high bid of $315. I'm not sure of the seller, maybe @NameJetGM can tell us.

The name stayed under privacy protection until 1-14-17 when "MARQUE SOLUTIONS" with email address "[email protected]" appeared in the WhoIs.

On 3-16-17 the WhoIs changed to "Oliver Hoger".

Coincidence???

EOUC.com , auctioned at NameJet Novermber 2016. User "HKDN" was the winner at $280. I'm not sure who the seller was.

On 10/6/16, Oliver Hoger appeared as the owner according to WhoIs.

On 11/25/16, EOUC.com went into privacy.

On 1/14/17, Oliver Hoger is the owner again.

DZUH.com , auctioned at NameJet Novermber 2016. User "HKDN" was the winner at $290. I'm not sure who the seller was.

On 9/23/16, Oliver Hoger appeared as the owner according to WhoIs.

On 11/25/16, "MARQUE SOLUTIONS" with email "[email protected]" as the owner.

On 1/13/17, Oliver Hoger is the owner again.

So is it common practice for HKDN to sell domains back to you after the 60 day transfer lock?

Last edited:
•••
I am not leveling any accusations, but it seems like it would be so easy to collude for financial gain. Buying names back from people, freely setting Next Bid Wins....all seems very convoluted. It really does.

•••
Shane, I found spreader.com domain on your site and went from there. I've found almost 30 domains that HKDN owns that go to the same account that Oliver has with ParkingCrew. This can't be a mistake.

Donny

I've purchased domains before where the details (WHOIS and Nameserver etc) remain the same after transfer. There's been times when I've left it forwarded to somebody elses parking account -- assuming they still got parking revenue for my laziness to redirect my domain. Could laziness / bulk domains be the case here - maybe he bought a domain from HKDN and the transfer didn't update domain config - thus remained associated to HKDNs parking account?

I don't know parking. I could be WAY off. Simply proposing a thought.

•••
I am not here accusing anybody of anything, but as @Oliver Hoger said he was not HKDN I decided to do a little digging.

One of Oliver's domains is these.com, it has his name on the whois. The domain is pointing to ParkingCrew, and it has a DRID of as-drid-2397039701937088.

One of HDKN's domains is spreader.com, the whois shows that Marque Solutions with an email address of [email protected] owns the domain. The domain is also pointing to ParkingCrew, and it has the same exact DRID of as-drid-2397039701937088.

This means that Oliver and HKDN are sharing the same account with ParkingCrew. I did find multiple examples like this.

These are facts, no BS. Oliver and HKDN are the same person.

Donny
@tonecas has been pointing this shenanigans out for years on the LLL.COM sales thread

•••
I have over a thousand domains and I only recently started changing the nameservers, etc. Many pointed to the parking of the seller I purchased from.

•••
I've purchased domains before where the details (WHOIS and Nameserver etc) remain the same after transfer. There's been times when I've left it forwarded to somebody elses parking account -- assuming they still got parking revenue for my laziness to redirect my domain. Could laziness / bulk domains be the case here - maybe he bought a domain from HKDN and the transfer didn't update domain config - thus remained associated to HKDNs parking account?

I don't know parking. I could be WAY off. Simply proposing a thought.

One or two I could understand, 30? Highly unlikely.

Donny

•••
•••

Donny

I can not explain to you why those names in my parking account that HKDN bought. Probably he didn't update nameservesr or didn't add to his own account. I have many domains I sold which we still make money on because buyers never updated

•••
I can not explain to you why those names in my parking account that HKDN bought. Probably he didn't update nameservesr or didn't add to his own account. I have many domains I sold which we still make money on because buyers never updated
From time to time, does HKDN sell domains back to you privately that he/she has previously won at auction?

Last edited:
•••

Sure. I trust you. I think everybody here does.

Donny

•••
I guess I'm more at a loss for understanding this now then I was back at page 14.

This bidding system at NJ is flawed...next bid wins is BS. Automated bids Etc. Etc.

I'm done reading this...I need a cold beer.

•••
@Oliver Hoger

Please - when you have a moment - comment on the Booth Brothers!

This is what started this mess...

•••
@Oliver Hoger - Why do you bid up your own NameJet auctions listings for your own domains with your "seek" and "winner8888" bidding handles?

•••
Back