Dynadot

Beware - Sedo has this weird policy!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cillx

Established Member
Impact
I think I should share this experience with the community. If you have listed your names on SquadHelp they will market your domains on Sedo marketplace, which is great indeed because of the extra exposer it receives. but the trouble starts when you decide to remove those names from SH and list them somewhere else and when you want to market them on Sedo by yourself.

Sedo wanted you to verify ownership of ALL those names by adding TXT records to your domains one by one.

First, their support team wasted my time telling me these names were listed on someone else account even though they were not actively listed for sale (indicating that was the problem). Then when SH informed me these names were not in their account anymore following was the reply from @Sedo ,

"Please be aware that even if nobody had listed those domains in their account, we need some kind of proof that they are yours. Therefore it doesn't help you in anyway to communicate with Squadhelp about the domains, if you don't use one of our verification methods. We will accept your domains, if you use one of our verification methods regardless of them being in another account or not listed with us"

I understand in some occasions some of our names could be already listed on Sedo by previous owners and asking to verify those names are quite ok for the safety of everyone. But, knowing these names were marketed on your website by a third-party marketplace (SH), Is it ok to ask me to verify ALL these names by adding TXT records?

Beware, if you have a lot of names on SquadHelp (or any other marketplace which has an agreement with Sedo), one day if you decide to remove your names from these marketplaces and listed on Sedo by yourself, Sedo will ask you to verify your own domains by adding TXT records to ALL your domain names one by one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think at all that it is a weird policy that you have to prove these domains are yours.

The verification process at Sedo can be better, though.

•••
I don't think at all that it is a weird policy that you have to prove these domains are yours.

Hi

i totally agree!

you could any joe, trying to list domains that you don't own.

if the marketplace does not verify ownership of the sellers, then how reliable can it be?

suggest you change title

imo..

Last edited:
•••
Sedo verification process could be more user friendly - however verification is a must to be a reliable marketplace!

•••
Half the time the verification process doesn't work anyway. Not really fit for purpose. Adding the TXT file doesn't work a lot of the time and changing the name servers works almost none of the time. I agree that names should be verified but there has to be a better way.

•••
I don't use Squadhelp so I don't know exactly the whole procedure but,

shouldn't Squadhelp have the obligation to remove those domains in the first place since they don't manage them anymore?
From what I understand, they were the ones to add them in the first place on *their* account.

I totally understand your frustration but I think that's where the problem is and not on Sedo.

•••
Sedo is the absolute worst to verify ownership.

They make it obscenely difficult to verify.

Only thing might make up; they disclose sales and have been for a long time (before was cool

Still, verifying with Sedo; makes me feel 1999. Very technical, non-user-friendly, is Sedo >.< Know change hard, they can learn lot off DAN

Last edited:
•••
The amusing part in my market is I own chinese IDN names, and with Sedo i've had to memorise the right buttons to press when I've changed the language to "chinese", as thats the only way to upload chinese extensions to list at auction...pretty funny. It could be more user-friendly as the above have said

•••
I use TXT record on all domains, and have listed 20K+ of them on Sedo. And this is the SIMPLEST one. I don't need to send any lists to Sedo, but I need to do this 2 times a week for Afternic and Dan. Select those that cause errors and notify them.

There's something called domain defaults and templates at registrars.

I would suggest to improve your domaining skills, instead of complaining of an otherwise valid and fast automated verification method.

Edit: For example if you park with Dan, you can get the associated IP and use that. You just need to learn a bit more on custom host records . Once template is set, done - no more nameserver setting/changing, ever.

Last edited:
•••
I use TXT record on all domains, and have listed 20K+ of them on Sedo. And this is the SIMPLEST one. I don't need to send any lists to Sedo, but I need to do this 2 times a week for Afternic and Dan. Select those that cause errors and notify them.

I would suggest to improve your domaining skills, instead of complaining of an otherwise valid and fast automated verification method.

LOL.Good old Sedo, even website looks 1999.
Why do you insist keeping industry difficult?
Not possible for things to improve over time?

Non-technical savvy users; deserve better.
Sedo sucks; they wont even remove names i request them to remove of previous owner.
Stuck in time. Honestly, their time will come lol.

The innovation is picking up, other markets’
By the way, does Sedo accept Crypto?
Asking for a friend. Emblematic right there.

Last edited:
•••
I use the txt records also, can be a pain if you just want to park somewhere because you have to wait before changing from registrars DNS. Used to be easier before the GDPR rules they would just verify by whois.

•••
The amusing part in my market is I own chinese IDN names, and with Sedo i've had to memorise the right buttons to press when I've changed the language to "chinese", as thats the only way to upload chinese extensions to list at auction...pretty funny. It could be more user-friendly as the above have said
why don't you use chrome browser and set the language of the website to chinese then use "translate page" on chrome to see the website in english? that can make it easier at least.

•••

The verification process at Sedo can be better, though.

Hi

i totally agree!

you could any joe, trying to list domains that you don't own.

if the marketplace does not verify ownership of the sellers, then how reliable can it be?

suggest you change title

imo..

I understand how important it is to verify domain names and I always support a clean marketplace. As a seller, I have a very clean account on all marketplaces where I continuously add new names and remove names whenever I sell them. So there is no argument on that.

I verify my names using TXT method, whenever I see that someone else has listed them for sale on Sedo. These are individual cases, where the TXT record help to show the rightful owner. But this situation is different because I'm talking about a portfolio of domain names, which were marketed on Sedo by a third-party marketplace.

If you have 5000 names on SH and decide to remove them from SH and list on Sedo by yourself and Sedo demanding you to add TXT record on all 5000 domains. Are you still support Sedo's requirement?

And also you can simply verify a domain with Sedo by simple nameserver change to ns1.sedoparking.com and ns2.sedoparking.com. Just because nameservers set to Sedo is that mean these domains are listed by the rightful owner? No guarantee isn't it?

Last edited:
•••

Edit: For example if you park with Dan, you can get the associated IP and use that. You just need to learn a bit more on custom host records . Once template is set, done - no more nameserver setting/changing, ever.

Thanks for letting me know! What I do is, I change nameservers back to default, then set TXT record, and then wait till Sedo verify the name and then set the nameservers back to normal which takes a lot of time and makes the experience worst.

I had asked several registers for a way to do bulk DNS changes few times, but also the answer was "there is no way"

•••
If you have 5000 names on SH and decide to remove them from SH and list on Sedo by yourself and Sedo demanding you to add TXT record on all 5000 domains. Are you still support Sedo's requirement?

When you get to the level of owning 5K domains I think it's not unreasonable to look for solutions that work and not focus on a venue's limitations.

I can easily set/update txt records for 5K+ domains within seconds. It's not that hard.

Spend some time researching, take the time to learn new things, and problems like this will go away.

•••
I don’t deal with Sedo due to this. Greater question to Sedo becomes why did they let your name there via SH without proof, text records the first time? Hypocrisy at its finest.

•••
Sedo verification process could be more user friendly - however verification is a must to be a reliable marketplace!

And yet you guys still use GD and Afternic who allows anyone who wants to to list your name and attempt to enter it into fast transfer network. You, not the fraudster, then have to prove their fraudulent listing is indeed fraudulent to get it removed.

GD/Afternic is worse than Sedo but both live in the 90’s.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't understand what the problem is with Sedo name verification? I set customer nameservers NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM and NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM on 50 domains and saved. After the first five domains my fingers went on auto-pilot. Half an hour later all domains were verified and displaying sales landing pages. It could hardly have been a more simple process.

Last edited:
•••
Back