IT.COM

BEWARE! GoDaddy Upselling Tactics!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I just registered a .com domain and saw the "great" upselling deal that GD was offering in the other TLDs, so I checked the box for three other TLDs.

Well, when you reg a domain, GD automatically signs you up for two years. You can change the original .com term to 1 year (or 5 years, etc.), BUT you can't change the upsold domains to one year, so suddenly, that great deal turns into regular prices (which are HIGH) for the second year.

Quite frankly, this is ridiculous. The offer should be for all years in your cart, period, or the option to change to one year should be available; otherwise, it's deceptive advertising.

So GD lost a sale on the alternate extensions. I stayed with the .com and removed the other TLDs.

The lesson here: ignore all upselling attempts and reg any alternate TLDs separately, using coupons/codes--or go elsewhere.

I probably don't need those TLDs, anyway. The .com is not that compelling--it just fits with my area.

I plan to disable the upselling feature.

Be warned!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By regging the .com with them, you're only encouraging them.

•••
Thank you so much for the warning, I will be on my guard when I buy a domain from them.

•••
I checked this out and I can register using the exact same offer and default is 1 year,godaddy certainly are not scamming anyone.I have checked it and I can take advantage of the offer for just 1 year registration period on ALL extensions.

•••
Any one tried Express Registration at godaddy ?

•••
URLTrader they only make you register for 2 years if you use express checkout don't use express checkout and you can take advantage of this offer for just the 1 year.

•••
Any one tried Express Registration at godaddy ?

Yep,

And every time I tried it my pre-set Buyer Profile would be ignored.

The domain reg length would be set to 5 years
which I'd have to uncheck which slows down the "Express".

Because my Buyer Profile was ignored I'd have to go into the Control Panel and disable Auto-Renew and set my default NameServers.

•••
I don't understand why anyone knowledgable in the domain market on this forums would register anything with Godaddy in the first place.

The lesson here: ignore all upselling attempts and reg any alternate TLDs separately, using coupons/codes--or go elsewhere.

Then you've missed the overall lesson that you just shouldn't use Godaddy.

•••
I checked this out and I can register using the exact same offer and default is 1 year,godaddy certainly are not scamming anyone.I have checked it and I can take advantage of the offer for just 1 year registration period on ALL extensions.

Not for me.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I don't understand why anyone knowledgable in the domain market on this forums would register anything with Godaddy in the first place.

I believe that I'm using Godaddy to MY advantage.

I have never paid full price for anything, and I have a great account rep. I don't use their hosting or purchase anything but domains for cheap.

This was the first time I was tempted to fall for the upselling, and it will be the last.

I use Domainmonster for some domains, but they tend to be pricey unless you reg/renew 25 at a time.

Moniker is expensive and charges for everything. If I buy an aftermarket domain from Snap, I transfer it out asap.

Dotster sucks--they never answer support tickets.

Dynadot is okay, but not spectacular. I don't know about their support, though.

They ALL have sneaky TOS and engage in dicey practices. At least with GD I can get cheap domains and great support.

Now, labrocca, what great registrars do YOU use?

•••
I'd have to agree with Labrocca, why would you do business with someone where you have to be constantly on your guard and wade through page after page of upsells?

Just for curiosity, what is your average cost for dot coms from GoDaddy? How much do you think you save compared to some other registrar?

•••
It could be a bug.

Last week, I tried to transfer out a domain from Moniker to Godaddy. The search went smooth, added in the cart. But I could not find the domain in the checkout page.

•••

Not for me.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I believe that I'm using Godaddy to MY advantage.

I have never paid full price for anything, and I have a great account rep. I don't use their hosting or purchase anything but domains for cheap.

This was the first time I was tempted to fall for the upselling, and it will be the last.

I use Domainmonster for some domains, but they tend to be pricey unless you reg/renew 25 at a time.

Moniker is expensive and charges for everything. If I buy an aftermarket domain from Snap, I transfer it out asap.

Dotster sucks--they never answer support tickets.

Dynadot is okay, but not spectacular. I don't know about their support, though.

They ALL have sneaky TOS and engage in dicey practices. At least with GD I can get cheap domains and great support.

Now, labrocca, what great registrars do YOU use?

Out of curiosity, have you used name.com or internet.bs <- :hearts:

•••
I'd have to agree with Labrocca, why would you do business with someone where you have to be constantly on your guard and wade through page after page of upsells?

Just for curiosity, what is your average cost for dot coms from GoDaddy? How much do you think you save compared to some other registrar?

My average cost for .com at GD is $7.69 (including ICANN fee) and that includes renewals as well.

When you have a lot of domains, every penny counts.

I never pay full price.

If I need privacy (very rarely), I use Domainmonster.

I may give Name.com a try.

;)

•••
godaddy is fine if you pay attention while doing all transactions, i just reset the length of all regs ,and if i renew later use a discount code , no big deal , as for other tlds ........forget that anyway ! cheers

•••

I may give Name.com a try.

;)

Support at Name.com has been awesome. Their interface is clean. Their bulk search is great and for that alone I use them most of the time now.

I don't know what the problem people have with GoDaddy is though.. how hard is to check your cart has only what you want in it?

The bad side is mostly godaddy phishing emails... which is hardly their fault.

•••

I couldn't agree more. Besides all the garbage they do try to up-sell, the site makes my eyes feel like they want to jump out of my head and run under the wheels of the nearest oncoming vehicle.

Bloated, confusing (at times), and downright ugly; not to mention a complete pain in the a$$ to work with.

Name.com is by far and away a better option imo.

•••
Well, name.com interface is clean and very simple, i love it.
But i have to admit most of my domains are on GoDaddy, since their prices are generally lower than other registrars (except for internet.bs maybe, but i don't like their interface).

However, never had any problem on there, yes, when you register/renew a domain they fill your pages of offers etc, but once you learn how it works, you can avoid these "offers" very easily and directly go to your cart, apply the discount code and pay ;)

•••
Hello Ms Domainer,

Those other gTLD's didn't happen tobe org/biz/info ?? The minimum registration period is 2 years for those. This is set by the Registry and not the Registrar.

I usually forget this myself when i register a .ORG ;)

•••

My average cost for .com at GD is $7.69 (including ICANN fee) and that includes renewals as well.

When you have a lot of domains, every penny counts.

With bulk pricing at Dynadot (automatic if you spend over $500 per year)my cost is $7.99. So, what do I get for my extra thirty cents?

I can register a new domain in much less (one tenth?) the time. I don't have to pay attention as I register because there are no upsells, tricky defaults, etc.

I also get an extremely helpful user interface that lets me manage my domains quickly & easily. This is especially important to me because I develop most of my domains and frequently need to change DNS records.

I have more than 500 domains registered, so I understand the cost concern. It's just that for my situation I think the extra cost is money well spent.

But I have a low tolerance for the games GD likes to play so it's worth $0.30 to keep them out of my life :)

•••
Hello Ms Domainer,

Those other gTLD's didn't happen tobe org/biz/info ?? The minimum registration period is 2 years for those. This is set by the Registry and not the Registrar.

I usually forget this myself when i register a .ORG ;)

Where exactly did you get that info?

It is 100% not true.

It is true for .co.uk and was for .mobi but not anymore.

org/biz/info can all be regged for 1 year.

PIR.org is the Registry for .ORG.

From the FAQs page:
http://pir.org/get/faq/general

"When you register a (.ORG) domain name, you can register it for one to 10 years. When your registration expires, the .ORG registry will auto-renew the domain name for one year ..."

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

With bulk pricing at Dynadot (automatic if you spend over $500 per year)my cost is $7.99.

$500 can also be preloaded into your Dynadot account and you'll be eligible for the better pricing.

•••
Ms Domainer and others pay attention to my second post you cannot take advantage of this offer for one year if you use express checkout.
Use the normal checkout and you can register it for just one year.
I hope this information can help you lot out.

•••
Ms Domainer and others pay attention to my second post you cannot take advantage of this offer for one year if you use express checkout.

I did NOT use Express checkout.

•••
Really ??? thats odd because when going through the normal checkout now when you get domain registration period(i think its step 2) set to 1 year then continue down the optionals and click the button where you don't add anything extra and then you can get them all for just 1 year.
I have tried it twice to make sure and I can do it and I have done it once before as well so thats 3 times.

•••

:hi:

I just went thru (but did not complete) the registration process at GoDaddy for one each: .ORG, .INFO, .BIZ using the Express Registration feature.

It is true that 2 years is set by default BUT you can click in the box and change it to one year term for all three extensions.

I did it and the price adjusted.

Having to change the registration length during what is supposed to be an "Express Registration" is particularly annoying and sort of defeats the purpose of the "Express" feature.

Last edited:
•••
It's just smart marketing to try and upsell. You have to be a savy consumer. I have used GoDaddy for many years and never had a problem with their domain name registration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back