IT.COM

advice Being a domainer is a constant hustle; we grind day in and day out.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I would argue that buying and selling domains is the best way to make money online that doesn’t require a large financial risk upfront. Yes, I’m saying it’s relatively low risk for the educated. We can invest a modest $100 and turn it into $1,000 without much effort. It’s absolute madness when you compare it to the 6% return the U.S. stock market posted in 2015.

With that being said, it’s a constant grind. Those who think they’ve mastered the trade will quickly get left behind. We are forced to learn every-single-day. There’s also a steep learning curve. Those to jump in without floaties will quickly sink.

2015, was my first year doing this full-time. It was scary, fun, and scary. I also had ups, downs, and in-betweens. For those of you who want to make a living buying and selling domains, I have one piece of advice: learn to budget.

I heavily reinvested during 2015, which was fine and dandy until I stopped auctioning and started selling to endusers. That change had many implications that I did not realize at the time. My new strategy required patience. Unfortunately, I did not budget appropriately so I was forced to liquidate over the summer, which evidently is the worst time to be a domainer.

Always remember, money comes and money goes in this industry, often unexpectedly. Be prepared.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I love it, wish I could do it full time

•••
With Domaining if a person starts Developing at least 1 single domain to serve the market his/her domain knowledge or some other tech expertise, it would be wiser in my opinion. At least it should keep open a certain level of fixed income.
Great Post Indeed, thanks @Shane Bellone

•••
Lot to learn! Wonderful conversation so far! Thanks to all!

•••
Great post! This industry is a great industry to be in if you know what you're doing that's for sure!

•••
Awesome advice Shane! Appreciate the honesty about the grind and solid wisdom below:

"Learn to budget. I heavily reinvested during 2015, which was fine and dandy until I stopped auctioning and started selling to endusers. That change had many implications that I did not realize at the time. My new strategy required patience."

Congrats on your first year full time domaining I am sure you will fine much more success as you continue to hustle an grind. As Ali wrote in a post, being a domainer is the best job in the world.

- Will

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back