IT.COM

advice Be careful when registering an .at domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amar D

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

be careful when registering an .at (Austria ccTLD) domain through a registrar, in my case alldomains.hosting

I've registered domain name "dr-co-at", and I've left it to expire. Then I've got a normal notice for expiration and that I don't need nothing to do. I need so sign something and send them, like we're living in 1920, and I have nothing signed at alldomains.hosting registrar.

After that, the .AT official registry contacts me and tells me that domain can't expire (dafaq?).

So be prepared for their debt collection agancies and dirty tricks so they can get more money. Austrians, really?

QDZDq3a.png

WjGBg40.png

OViepst.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Before you register *any* cctld, make sure you understand the local rules.

If you can't find the info at the registrar you have chosen to use, either choose another registrar or do your best to find the necessary documents so you know where you are getting into.

That is on you I'm afraid and it has nothing to do with Austrians.

•••
Aren't there similar rules for .de domains? They don't expire until you explicitly cancel them.
However the registrar should probably inform you about it as a courtesy (yes, you've read and accepted registry rules upon registration, but you don't necessarily remember them after a year...).

Last edited:
•••
Aren't there similar rules for .de domains? They don't expire until you explicitly cancel them.
However the registrar should probably inform you about it as a courtesy (yes, you've read and accepted registry rules upon registration, but you don't necessarily remember them after a year...).
.de expires automatic on date after grace period.

•••
.de expires automatic on date after grace period.

.de registry will send you a letter (an actual paper letter) with the code that you need to enter on their site for the domain to be deleted.

If you haven't done so (in case you ever had any .de domains expire) there might be complications. I'm not sure what happens since I always followed the guide in the letters I've received and promptly deleted the domains on their site upon expiration.

Whatever the case however, this is just another example why you always need to get informed on each cctld's rules before registering any.

•••
Back