Dynadot

advice Autorenewal is scam or just business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Apprich

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

I need an advice for this annoying strategy in domain industry..

I've seen this in most of the registrars every time you register new domain they set it auto-renewal true with renewal fee is horrendous price. and if you happen to forget any domain on this registrar with your credit card bound to this website they charge you with their high price and no refund back.. and they call this as business.

Trying to understand whether is scam or shady way or just business way it is... do we have consumer rights against it?

Registrar forcing for auto-renewal and then auto-charging to credit card the price they want and if customer say i don't want to renew it just refund back money to credit card..

they refuse doing it and stating "Terms and Conditions, we cannot provide a refund on domain names as these are personalised items."

what is it personalized items? does it make it qualified non-refundable product?
where is the consumer rights? could i refund any product after certain days?

Please help me to understand this, and what can we do against this registrar that's not refunding money back to credit card.

thanks to all.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You curse them when they auto renew your shitty names. You will thank them when get some really valuable domain in your portfolio which they auto renew.

•••
^ this. I always keep autorenew on as I almost lost a LLL.com once :) Pricing should be ok if you're with a decent registrar.

•••
was it 1& 1? I was charged 200 usd for 5 .online domains due to auto renew on.
I should curse myself choosing 1&1.

•••
if domainers forget turn stuff off then its not equivalent to being registrars fault

•••

No, it's not 1&1 but does it matter which registrar.. most of them doing same.. currently charged $26 renewal for .com domain and many domains that i don't want to remember this.
And did you contact 1&1 to get money back?

Last edited:
•••
if domainers forget turn stuff off then its not equivalent to being registrars fault

My question is actually if it's legit or not... yes domainer or customer can forget this, but then go to registrar and say "Hey, i don't want to renew this domain or i don't want this product, please charge back the money you just got from me" isn't there internet consumer rights that i just want to return the product or service that i paid for?

•••
1and1 is not alone... Autorenewal is turned on by default with various registrars...
It can be disabled per multiple domains via https://contract.1and1.com

•••
My question is actually if it's legit or not... yes domainer or customer can forget this, but then go to registrar and say "Hey, i don't want to renew this domain or i don't want this product, please charge back the money you just got from me" isn't there internet consumer rights that i just want to return the product or service that i paid for?
It is legit, because it is NOT hidden.
All users can clearly see this feature in their accounts and to switch it ON/OFF.

•••
•••
It is legit, because it is NOT hidden.
All users can clearly see this feature in their accounts and to switch it ON/OFF.

is it legit not to refund back? if customer doesn't want to buy this service or product.. isn't there consumer rights to return back in certain days the product you paid for?

•••
Since 2008 my 1st rule/task with each registrar: to disable autorenewal.

Regarding "rights"...
Read Terms of your registrar...
If you use it - this automatically means that you ACCEPT it. So 100% LEGIT.

•••
I mean clearly the companies do it because they only make money, or significant money, in that second year and beyond. I don't see it as a scam as long as the renewal status is really clear, and you can see that it is on, and can readily turn it off.

Personally I keep it off except for a very few domains that I would want to be sure to be renewed if I had a personal or health emergency and for those I leave auto renewal on.

Some companies also send you huge numbers of notices when domains are about to expire. I see that even if tiresome as a service. It really would be hard to let one lapse unless you were not in Internet contact for a long time.

•••

You should. You must be crazy to have used them at all.

•••

It's perfectly legitimate. If you don't want to auto renew. You can easily remove it. Some people like it. Others hate it. The Registrar will be dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. I guess they err on the side of caution ;)

Last edited:
•••
is it legit not to refund back? if customer doesn't want to buy this service or product.. isn't there consumer rights to return back in certain days the product you paid for?

But they have opted in. They should opt out, if they don't want auto renewal.

•••
I review my domains regularly and turn off auto renew on the ones I won't be renewing but leave it on the others just in case I get hit by a bus and cannot do it manually.

I renew my domains 3 months ahead manually so I never get surprised. I find if I transfer them from registrar to registrar I can get the best deals.

•••
What I don't like is sometimes the registrar will change from not renew to renew without telling you. I think GoDaddy have done that in the past, although I didn't keep any evidence. But it's not a biggie for me. Coz I always transfer my domains out ASAP. At every registrar.

•••
Go to your Control Panel, disable Auto-Renewal, only use reputable registrars.

•••
What I don't like is sometimes the registrar will change from not renew to renew without telling you. I think GoDaddy have done that in the past, although I didn't keep any evidence. But it's not a biggie for me. Coz I always transfer my domains out ASAP. At every registrar.

In fact Godaddy would do refund for auto-renewed domain if you tell them you dont want this domain to be renewed. however not every registrar doing it.. and this is more like revenge of the registrar since we do register many domains with promotion.

•••
More on this subject, I offered to this registrar different option.
Since they charged me significant amount to my credit card at least i could do selection on domains. however they are saying renewal order already sent to registry which they cant change it. i don't know if this is true. how Godaddy refunds it then or do i remember wrong?

•••
More on this subject, I offered to this registrar different option.
Since they charged me significant amount to my credit card at least i could do selection on domains. however they are saying renewal order already sent to registry which they cant change it. i don't know if this is true. how Godaddy refunds it then or do i remember wrong?

At least for .com domains. How renewal works is the registrar automatically gets charged for renewals by the registry on the expiry date, and if the domain isn't renewed, they get refunded on Day 45 after expiry (This is why you see discrepancy in the whois expiry dates where registrar has the correct date, but registry date has 1 year added). So they might be stretching the truth here somewhat. If the registrar date in the whois is still showing the old date, they are telling you fibs, but if it appears to be renewed. Then they are telling the truth.

I don't know who your register is. So cannot be more clear than that.

Last edited:
•••
At least for .com domains. How renewal works is the registrar automatically gets charged for renewals by the registry on the expiry date, and if the domain isn't renewed, they get refunded. (This is why you see discrepancy in the whois expiry dates where registrar has the correct date, but registry date has 1 year added). So they might be stretching the truth here somewhat. If the registrar date in the whois is still showing the old date, they are telling you fibs, but if it appears to be renewed. Then they are telling the truth.

I don't know who your register is. So cannot be more clear than that.

I got what you mean. both registry and registrar record seems like updated.

•••
What really chaps my hide are the registrars that renew and bill 30 days in advance of actual expiration.

There are at least a few registrars that do this.

•••
I got what you mean. both registry and registrar record seems like updated.

So its probably going to be harder for them with the paperwork, if they were to refund you. I don't know if that is possible. but probably unlikely.

PS: I edited my post above. They get refunded on day 45 after expiry.

•••
Back