NameSilo

discuss Have you ever missed removing auto-renewal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Did you ever happen to miss removing the auto-renewal for your portfolio and ended up getting your credit card charged?

How much did you lose?

Is there a reversal process to this, just in case you forget, and explain the registrar about your carelessness or the situation?

Considering a .CO portfolio auto-renewal - it would be a total rip off on the pocket!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Being careless is no excuse for backing out of a contract that you entered into, and I imagine that a reversal process would create all sorts of issues for the registry.

•••
  • You can use domain name hosting

•••
I renew domains each year that not so sure about rather the confident renewals but each time leave some to be dropped only to find a reason to renew.

Last edited:
•••
I have been renewing most of my names manually.
One issue when doing that is that if you have domains spread accross multiple registrars, it can get difficult to manage, and to avoid missing a renewal.
Maybe use auto-renew only for your top names?

•••
Autorenewal is stupid. What if we die, who will manage renewed domains.

I would renew in advance manually instead.
But since most of my domains are of average quality (4 figure potential, but just potential), I prefer to renew them after they expire. ..I even let them go to redemption,.. and if restore cost is zero, then I can earn one more month (I was hoping). But strangely it seems to be worse than renewing during grace period, nothing is earned, except more time to decide whether to renew or not.

Last edited:
•••
Do Manual.
Manual gives time to review and decide what to keep , drop , or repreice.
Stay 3 months ahead , much less stress.

•••
Most registrars give you plenty of warnings about upcoming expirations that I find it hard to believe that you would be charged for renewing a domain which was set to auto-renew and feel you were "ripped off."

•••
I always make no auto renew, just in case you miss and get a big renewal bill.

•••
For those who have over 1000 domain names in their portfolio “Auto Renew” is a life saver yet if you only have few names than manuel option is better.

The most trouble is having domain on several registrars...

•••
Nope.

I wasnt in "Discount Club" I had to pay $18+.

Discount Club Now 2x price,old grandfathered.

Last edited:
•••
I had a good experience with GoDaddy regarding auto renewal left activated by mistake.

I bought an .online in 2017 almost FOC (on offer) and decided to drop it next year. The mistake was I overlooked reminder SMS GoDaddy sent before auto renewal and only paid attention to the transaction SMS which said GoDaddy charged my card on file for auto renewal.
I was charged 40 time the initial buying cost.
The Rep on GoDaddy phone support was nice enough to cancel renewal and refund. :xf.cool:

•••
This is my procedure for my little world. It may not be for everyone and needs some level of regular input.

I have roughly 1,000 domains which I keep controlled on a fairly straightforward Excel spreadsheet. I have three tabs called current, value and renewal date. I keep the current tab upto date as I add domains. I just simply sort it by A to Z. I delete all info on the other two tabs then copy and paste the current tab data. I can then simply sort the other two tabs by value and renewal date.

A quick look at the renewal date tab tells me which domains need to be renewed in the near future and it also gives me the option to drop any names which are out of vogue or are too expensive to renew.

As long as the current tab is upto date the other two tabs can be controlled with a 5 minute copy and paste.

Seems to have worked for me so far and I don't think anything works as well as an Excel spreadsheet.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Being careless is no excuse for backing out of a contract that you entered into, and I imagine that a reversal process would create all sorts of issues for the registry.
As to why no registry will do a refund unless YOU GET DEEPER ...

Think about Credit bureaus @abstractdomainer

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back