IT.COM

Automated Appraisals - DomainTops Now Open

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to announce the opening of DomainTops to the general public. Now anyone get get free, automated domain appraisals.

-----------------------------------------
Current Version: 3.00.1 Public Beta
Last Updated: June 17, 2007
Details on Last Update: Improved short-dn analysis, but it needs more work.
-----------------------------------------

I ask that because this *is* a developing and learning site that you not be too critical with it. I'll accept suggestions and ideas but please don't make crud of the site. I've had enough if it in prior versions.

Anyway, I think it's a great improvement over previous versions which only relied on stats from Google, Overture, and Alexa (yeah, ew, I know). It was flimsy and though flexible, it was uncontrolled often and had many problems.

Synopsis

You will notice this new algorithm has many more integrated functions. I was finally able to find ways to balance the numbers and make a steady manipulation of numerical values, along with more precise and controlled deduction models. (The idea here is that if you add to a domain's value, then subtract from it, then add, etc, you can keep a more controlled number in check.)

The problem with this? It became too rigid. Most appraisals were from Regfee to $38K (even the domains that sold for over 1 MIL or $400K) - so I loosened it up a bit. I have to be careful when I do this so that it only loosens at a controlled rate or you get wacky values most of the time.

Of course, it's not perfect, and some really valuable domains will come short of your expectations. But if you have a domain that valuable, why are you running it through a computer? And don't even *think* about appraising Google.com on it. Heh. ;)

Results Page Updated

A much more detailed results page, which I will expand upon as time permits (it could be *much* fuller even now) is now a new feature with DomainTops. You will notice recommendations and a try at the system to guess your domain's language and offer market possibilities.

There's also a graph showing keyword popularity by Google. This is still not perfect, but rarely will keywords be too uncommon to show a graph. Another thing is a way to automatically report inaccurate appraisals. Just press the right button!

Finally, short domains (1 to 4 char, make sure you select "length" in step 3) show a different, simpler results page. I'm also going to be filling this up with more substantial info.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: It says "Analyzing" for about a minute (and a half maybe) and then it says "Bad Response from Server" - what do I do?
A: Hit F5 or press Reload to re-run the appraisal. Press "Yes" to resubmit POST data. If it doesn't work a second time, come back later in the day.

Q: Can I use this site programmatically with mine? (Use its info, etc)
A: No. If you do, (esp. without permission), your IPs will be banned from access.

Q: It says my domain's language origin is some really weird Gaelic or ASCII thing. Is that normal?
A: Yes, and I didn't code the algorithm to determine that. DomainTops references a free linguistics service to determine the language. I'm thinking of ways to improve this now.

Q: Do you store/log domain appraisals?
A: Yes, only to make the service better. The most recent appraisals are displayed publicly, though, but only for a short time.

Q: Does it still give "inaccurate appraisal alerts"?
A: I disabled those for now, and am redesigning them. I'll put them back in later.

Q: All my short (2-4 character) domains are getting appraised at Regfee or $0. What gives?
A: *Whistles* did you press the Next button instead of just hitting Enter and skipping the other 2 steps? Make sure on step 3 you select "Length" for those domains.

Q: Why are some really valuable domains appraised so low?
A: Why are you appraising really valuable domains? Those usually sell better privately, so an appraisal doesn't do you much good. For this reason, DomainTops is better SAFE on low-value ground than RISKING by inflating domains' values.

Conclusion

I appreciate all of your advice, help, and wisdom as I rebuilt this. It has been around since 2005 serving domainers, and when EstiBot came out, I just had to improve my algorithm to keep up with the times. You can use LeapFish and Swift Appraisal if you want, but it's your time being wasted; not mine. ;)

Please domain responsibly.

Thanks! Let me know what you think.
-Matt

(Please report similar errors only ONCE in this thread. Thank you.)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Based as a single-keyword, DomainTops estimates the domain HIE.COM to be worth around...

$160 USD

Keyword Popularity: 3,079,763
Google Results: 6,460,000
Live Results: 699,290
Yahoo! Results: 2,080,000
Monthly Searches: 885
Similar Searches: 74
Consumer Score: 592
Media Score: 97
Number of Words/Parts: 1
Global Marketability: 0.281%
Language Origin: Manx

(This free, instant, automatic domain appraisal brought to you by DomainTops.com.)

Clicked "too low" ;)

Based by its keywords, DomainTops estimates the domain 4-7.COM to be worth around...

$10,027 USD

Keyword Popularity: 67,482,317
Google Results: 82,300,000
Live Results: 25,046,951
Yahoo! Results: 95,100,000
Monthly Searches: 373
Similar Searches: 847
Consumer Score: 3,228,533
Media Score: 6499
Number of Words/Parts: 1
Global Marketability: 0.002%
Language Origin: Iso8859_5

(This free, instant, automatic domain appraisal brought to you by DomainTops.com.)

"Way to high.. "

Last edited:
•••
Make sure you are appraising those by LENGTH not KEYWORDS, as you were, and I'll get to work on making the length-based appraisals a bit lower.

•••
chulium said:
Make sure you are appraising those by LENGTH not KEYWORDS, as you were, and I'll get to work on making the length-based appraisals a bit lower.

I thought it was fully automated :'(

•••
Asian said:
I thought it was fully automated :'(
Oh, it is... but consider it a compliment: that means I consider the domainer smarter than my system ;)

Any other users that would like to offer feedback?

•••
Hey good luck with the new release, haven't had time to test it yet, but will do surely. The website looks great, much better than mine...

Cheers
Josh

•••
What is the point of an appraisal system if the domainer is smarter than it?

•••
Gandhi said:
What is the point of an appraisal system if the domainer is smarter than it?
There is no point - then said domainer just need not use it :)

Other domainers may find it useful and may also want to utilize it as a keyword tool. There are thousands of domainers who want help with ballpark appraisals, and such appraisals are hard to come by as smart domainers rarely reply to their requests on the boards. Machine appraisals respond to every request, instantly and for free, well at least the free and instant ones, not necessarily the GoDaddy non-free, non-instant ones and others like that.

Also, automated appraisals (the good ones) can help find a reasonably reliable ballpark value as well as relevant keyword data and other metrics.

And as a bonus, trying to make a good auto-appraiser is a very interesting intellectual/technical exercise and can teach the maker quite a bit about domain names and their values, not to mention programming and web development. Also, importantly, it helps to make new friends in the domaining community. If nothing else, this is as good a reason as any to go ahead and make one.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back