Dynadot

advice Are You Making Money Domaining?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Lesson One:

You should not “count your chickens before they are hatched” don’t assume a domain sale is in the bag until payment is received.

Lesson Two:

Don’t assume that because you spend $X,XXX for a domain name that it is worth that to a business. A domain is only worth what the market will bear. A good point to note is that not all end-users will pay high for a domain name.

Lesson Three:

Just because you pay $10-$20 for a domain name there is no guarantee it will sell for $XXX. Don’t let your purchase price determine your asking price. You should start at a high price then be open to negotiation. Sometimes, there is good luck with buying domain for $10-$20 (bargain bin type prices) then reselling them for mid to high 3 figures. However, don’t assume that will happen each time.

Lesson Four:

The point of this domain name game is not to collect domains it is to turn a profit. What other industry can you get something for xxx and and in less than 2 weeks sell it for mid to high x,xxx? You might sell a domain for $1,000 that you purchased for $300, although that may be lower than what you wanted you didn’t lose $$$’s. An option would be wait and wait for a higher offer, but can you afford to do that (wouldn’t that be like collecting domains)? I know I can’t. If you have a huge portfolio of extraordinary domain names and are getting offers regularly, then yes, wait. But 99% of us are not Mike Mann or Frank Schilling.

Lesson Five:

You should develop your strategy to sell domains. What works for you? Perhaps, listing at auction on GD or Dynadot works well for you or, maybe you are a quick flipper and prefer to sell to other domainers.

Lesson Six:

You should check your email often for possible offers from domainers or end-users. You should do your research before reply. Think what other domains do they own (if any)? Then you should decide to follow-up with either a phone call or email reply or in some cases a text.

Final Lesson:

Always be closing deals. If you are not closing deals consider the following.

What marketing are you doing (if any)?

Are your prices way above what anyone (even end-user) would pay?

Are the domains quality too low (perhaps that is why they aren’t selling).

Consider investing in liquid domains as well such as LLLL .com or CCC .com’s. Or do you have a domain niche that works for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agree to most but not part of lesson four; I like to collect domains (y)

Long-term investing of quality names allows you to wait for inbound offers which gives you much more leverage in negotiations (which translates into higher prices)

•••
Agree to most but not part of lesson four; I like to collect domains (y)

Long-term investing of quality names allows you to wait for inbound offers which gives you much more leverage in negotiations (which translates into higher prices)

Quality is important but so is pricing. I still get contacted from sellers about names I inquired about 15 years ago that still haven't sold. So, the longer you hold a name doesn't necessarily increase it's value or the likely hood that it will sell especially if it's priced above what the market is willing to bear.

•••
Excellent advice all around!!!

•••
Yes I am, thanks for asking

•••
Very helpful tips. Very helpful tips. I will defiantly follow

•••
I made $5 or $6 once. Great feeling.

•••
Yes I am, thanks for asking.

•••
I just bought my first Ferrari with my domaining proceeds.

It's a Matchbox car. :xf.grin:

•••
It started with a year when I made my first big sale - got my kitchen remodeled using the sales proceeds. Since then it has been a steady flow. So far I have made money to pay half of my SUV price, without spending much time on it since last year. I am pretty sure with more time, focus and learning, one can earn a lot. Key is - what you buy, how much you wait and where you sale. I already see some examples of quick learners and patient investors by looking at sales reported here at NP.

Last edited:
•••
It started with a year when I made my first big sale - got my kitchen remodeled using the sales proceeds. Since then it has been a steady flow. So far I have made money to pay half of my SUV price, without spending much time on it since last year. I am pretty sure with more time, focus and learning, one can earn a lot. Key is - what you buy, how much you wait and where you sale. I already see some examples of quick learners and patient investors by looking at sales reported here at NP.

Whats your secret!?! :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Lesson One:

You should not “count your chickens before they are hatched” don’t assume a domain sale is in the bag until payment is received.

Lesson Four:

The point of this domain name game is not to collect domains it is to turn a profit. What other industry can you get something for xxx and and in less than 2 weeks sell it for mid to high x,xxx? You might sell a domain for $1,000 that you purchased for $300, although that may be lower than what you wanted you didn’t lose $$$’s. An option would be wait and wait for a higher offer, but can you afford to do that (wouldn’t that be like collecting domains)? I know I can’t. If you have a huge portfolio of extraordinary domain names and are getting offers regularly, then yes, wait. But 99% of us are not Mike Mann or Frank Schilling.

Couldn't agree more with lesson one.

But then I've sold my share of domains since 2000.

The first significant domain sale I made went to a health insurance company.

I'll never forget and most surely will always feel some regret...

They asked my price?

I replied it worth at least $xx,xxx.

Instantly, they agreed and the deal was done.

There might be a lesson in that ;>)

Respectfully, (Ootsa NP member) the thing I don't get is what's with this race-to-the-bottom!

Why are buyers requests for one word dotcoms like $50 - $100?

Is it a cash-flow problem or just the desperate desire to flip domains?

What about all the millions & billions of people/startups to come in the very near future to the Internet.

Does the majority not realize with the threat of automation that just about everyone on the planet is going to want to make a living online.

I would rather develop or drop a valuable (one word) dotcom then waste my precise time trying to sell it for $50 -$100.

Thanks for listening.

H00T

•••
I don't post as much at NamePros like the good old days as it involves much more work these days. Shoveling all that domain profit cash off of my keyboard so I can actually type, way too tiring. :ROFL:

•••
This is great! Thanks for sharing useful and profound lessons on domaning. This is helpful not only for beginners but also domainers that have been around while and just need a reminder of the simple basics of making it happen in the industry.

The final lesson made me think of this -> Always be closing! Coffee is for closers!

- Will

•••
So glad only 7 lessons to learn.

•••
Hello
See how to make a steady passive incomes of $100 daily on virta stock trading without you risking your money online and your profits making is 100% guarantee visit the website here www virtatrade com/index.php for more details

•••
Hello
See how to make a steady passive incomes of $100 daily on virta stock trading without you risking your money online and your profits making is 100% guarantee visit the website here spam or scam for more details

spam or scam

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back