Dynadot

discuss My mistakes in domaining by blowing over $30,000...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Looking backwards into my domaining journey, I realized that there were mistakes that I made.
Here are some of them:

1) I always knew the potential of hand registrations. However, I failed to classify my investments into short term liquidity investments, medium term investments and long term holds. As a result, I ended up selling some of my best names for very very cheap and some of normal ones were held only to end up expiring.

Lesson Learnt: Classify your investment. It will help you hold onto good investments.

2) I did not fix the proper amount of money I would reinvest from the profits that I make on my investments. As a result, a lot of it was spent unnecessarily without being reinvested properly.

Lesson Learnt: Plan a proper reinvestment strategy otherwise you wouldn't know where you blew the profits.

3) Maintaining an excel sheet of all the domain names that you own, their date of registration, acquisition price, renewal date and classifying it as short, medium or long term investment is important. I lost a lot of good domain names because I forgot to renew it in time.

Lesson Learnt: Maintain an excel sheet of your portfolio with expiration date. This way, you know when and what to renew, what to hold and make an informed decision.

4) A strict track of your investment, returns, profits, losses is very very necessary. I made over $30,000 in 2 years of domaining only to realize later that all that money was spent without reinvestment, having no track of where I blew up the whole $30,000 - $40,000 living a good lifestyle, partying and so on.

Lesson Learnt: Keeping a track of your cash flow is necessary. It helps you plan better, maintain a budget and strategize your future.

What are your domaining mistakes and what did you learn from it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
biggest mistake:

not selling 4l.com CHIPS at $1900 USD
when a newcomer offered bulk buy

I know 1 domainer who sold his entire portfolio (of about 500 4L chip domains, IIRC) for $2500 each. Making him a millionaire overnight. Sorry. Can't reveal his name. I wish I'd had the same foresight. I probably had about 50-100 4L chips at that time :( Now I get Chinese Offers of about $500/domain, on my very best individual domains, If I'm lucky.

Last edited:
•••
Don't deal with some indian domain registrars, they will take your hard earned money, defame without any proof, cheat, exploit you, falsely claim that their cheater girlfriends, relatives paid the money, to get their girlfriends, relatives lucrative R&AW/CBI jobs at your expense, effectively destroying your life
Names of indian domain registrars can be provided. In 2017, 10 google, tata sponsored fraud R&AW/CBI employees are getting a monthly indian government salary without doing any work, without investing any money, while I am spending my time and money, yet not getting any kind of financial help, being tortured, cheated, exploited daily.
Income tax retiurns, bank details will expose the financial, domain, online, fraud of NTRo, R&AW, CBI and the indian government, yet the indian government refuses to investigate the great online fraud wasting millions of dollars annually since 2010.

I've been following your story. Really scary. Best of luck. I hope it turns around.

•••
I know 1 domainer who sold his entire portfolio (of about 500 4L chip domains, IIRC) for $2500 each. Making him a millionaire overnight. Sorry. Can't reveal his name. I wish I'd had the same foresight. I probably had about 50-100 4L chips at that time :( Now I get Chinese Offers of about $500/domain, on my very best individual domains, If I'm lucky.

That is huge!!
This was one of the best examples of pump and dump.
The same thing that we see in certain smaller value crypto currencies, where pumping and dumping takes place regularly.

•••

you guys ( american ) always forget to deduct the spend

he probably didn't hand reg them

when a german refers to
" he made a million euros "
he talks about profit
you guys ( american ) talk about cash flow

Last edited:
•••
you guys ( american ) always forget to deduct the spend

he probably didn't hand reg them

when a german refers to
" he made a million euros "
he talks about profit
you guys ( american ) talk about cash flow

I know you are technically correct. I understand he probably bought these for maybe up to $10-50 each. But that's money is already down the drain, and after he sold them, he had $1.25M dollars more in his pocket than the day before. Debt free :) He sold at the very top price. Very smart decision. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back