NameSilo

Are you guys serious?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DNWizardX9

Account Closed
Impact
IDN keyboard......
Japanese characters look funky and who would type these in?
Putting in your sales thread Non IDN like IDNs are equal to a hypthen when it doesn't.

along with numerous other comments.

Please people open up and look at the rest of the world and realize that English is not the only spoken langauge.

Natives don't have to type the puny code and can type the characters directly. Just consider the punycode the source.

The whole point is to market these IDNs to foreigners and develop sites or create affiliate sites. They will type in the IDN. You can just develop and sit back.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Who told you everyone thinks English is the only language?

Why should we be involved with IDNs while we don't speak that language?

IDNs are waste of money, because IE7 will need a plug-in for IDNs to work.

•••
Rom said:

Agreed, people who would use them are more than welcome to buy them...that would be like saying i have to go and buy a french hat because i already have an english one!

•••
Why don't you just get on with your IDN's and leave the rest of us to it.

Some guy in another thread said he didn't like Google, should I keep making posts saying that he's wrong just because I like Google? I think not.

Just get back to your IDN's and leave the rest of us alone, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

You need to edit your sig by the way, "Helping to destroy the IDN subforums on namepros :P" would be far more appropriate.

Last edited:
•••
B33R said:

Some guy in another thread said he didn't like Google, should I keep making posts saying that he's wrong just because I like Google? I think not.

Just get back to your IDN's and leave the rest of us alone.

You need to edit your sig by the way, "Helping to destroy the IDN subforums on namepros :P" would be far more appropriate.
I don't even know why you guys post here if you aren't even interested in IDNs.
THese are valid points and NEED to be brought up.

•••
Rom said:

I see you haven't been following the news at all.

Guess what? No plug-in is needed.

•••
white_crane said:
I see you haven't been following the news at all.

Guess what? No plug-in is needed.
Very true. The i-nav plugin isn't even needed as IE 7 supports them out of the box

•••
I am in strong support of open-mindedness and it follows that I would have a high interest in innovations and alternate methods of doing things. I think that my reasons for not getting into IDNs are similar to the reasons I haven't gotten into marketing foreign language domains and websites- they are better left to the people in the countries who are familiar with the language and can fully capitalize on the domains and make full use of their potential. There are several name categories and niches to specialize in, already, so why go into one that is based upon something that I don't use, am unfamiliar with, that would workout for someone else who's background, interests and needs were so much better suited to the domain group, than my own?

However, if I wanted to target a particular non-english speaking demographic, I would seriously consider using an IDN domain.

Last edited:
•••
The whole point is to market these IDNs to foreigners and develop sites or create affiliate sites. They will type in the IDN. You can just develop and sit back.
I agreed, that's what I plan with my IDNs. It would rock when affiliate companies launch their localized version. IDN are not only for local enterprise, but apply to international enterprise exactly the same way they have done with their non-internet business. In Thailand, it's impossible to sell products to mainstream using only english language on their products. Actually, my domains aim to internatinal enterprise.

Most of Thai internet users potentials have been limited because this issue researches here CONFIRMED. Thai bahave the same way as japanese, many people start at sanook.com (sanook is biggest website in thai) to search because people feel more comfortable to native language interface (sanook use same google results). Even teenagers who goods in english still go search their if they want thai related results. Thais would go to Google and Yahoo when do search for foreign contents.

Also, it's not any problems if people still not interesting in IDN now, I understand that well. Many people still don't feel comfortable and don't know how to select IDN properly and they found they still could making money well without any IDN in their portfolio. So I still could always find premium one with reg'd fee with my advantage :$: :$: :$:. before big boys launch their localized websites.

There are a lot potentials for thai IDNs because only a few company here use SEO and good coding practices. So it's still easy to get in top rank in thai language keywords.

I would sent potentials reports and information links to Thai big websites & government about this soon since they never realize about this (nipa.co.th gotto be informed). All owner of Thai IDN at the moment would benefit with their very premium name sooner.

•••
thaiboy said:
I agreed, that's what I plan with my IDNs. It would rock when affiliate companies launch their localized version. IDN are not only for local enterprise, but apply to international enterprise exactly the same way they have done with their non-internet business. In Thailand, it's impossible to sell products to mainstream using only english language on their products. Actually, my domains aim to internatinal enterprise.

Most of Thai internet users potentials have been limited because this issue researches here CONFIRMED. Thai bahave the same way as japanese, many people start at sanook.com (sanook is biggest website in thai) to search because people feel more comfortable to native language interface (sanook use same google results). Even teenagers who goods in english still go search their if they want thai related results. Thais would go to Google and Yahoo when do search for foreign contents.

Also, it's not any problems if people still not interesting in IDN now, I understand that well. Many people still don't feel comfortable and don't know how to select IDN properly and they found they still could making money well without any IDN in their portfolio. So I still could always find premium one with reg'd fee with my advantage :$: :$: :$:. before big boys launch their localized websites.

There are a lot potentials for thai IDNs because only a few company here use SEO and good coding practices. So it's still easy to get in top rank in thai language keywords.

I would sent potentials reports and information links to Thai big websites & government about this soon since they never realize about this (nipa.co.th gotto be informed). All owner of Thai IDN at the moment would benefit with their very premium name sooner.
Andy- Very compelling argument for IDN domains, IMHO. It, also, highlights, (in my mind), the difference between being there- experiencing something from an insider's perspective, and learning about a subject and seeing it from the outside, looking in. What is a comfort zone for one, can be awkward and a stretch for another. Regardless, I am sure there is money to made in your enterprise and best of luck and good fortune!

•••
rmwebs said:
Agreed, people who would use them are more than welcome to buy them...that would be like saying i have to go and buy a french hat because i already have an english one!

Let me guess what you are trying to say; a french name which is meant to look similar to a real french term is replaced by a name which is and that is what ? It can't be stupid now can it ?

The whole idea is that mainstream surfers will in time consider the actual characters to be the natural way to go in surfing the web. There should be no distinction for the surfer between idn's and non-idn's, we have just labelled it as such so we can discriminate it's technology from the ascii names, in fact we have just increased the accessibility of the internet be removing a barrier that is in place for hundreds of millions of surfers.

There's a bigger plan, an ideal so to speak, behind idn's, try to see what it is.

b33r said:

Just get back to your IDN's and leave the rest of us alone, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

If there are dn'ers that are spreading nonsensical ideas and in fact incorrect information about idn's then you will keep seeing these topics.

How to prevent it ? Stick to the truth and maybe provide some reasonable arguments as to why or why not (like Grrilla, thumbs up for that).

rom said:

The threshold is then; I don't have the opportunity to get insight in the market so I can't speculate on it's future ? Is that what you mean ?

That's a very solid argument, ascii-names simply represent a particular slice of the market, I think it will shrink rapidly in the coming years but ok if you want to point your arrows in that direction why not ? Be sure in any case that your part of the slice will not be the part that is made redundant by idn's, but if you stick to english (and according to some, latin languages in general) names that shouldn't be a problem at all.

•••
Grrilla said:
However, if I wanted to target a particular non-english speaking demographic, I would seriously consider using an IDN domain.
You hit the nail on the head. That's the primary purpose of the IDN -- easy and convenient to the native language users.

•••
Rom said:

Primary example of "Arrogance and Ignorance".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back