IT.COM

discuss Are newbies increasing the competition?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Do you think that domaining is hyper-competitive? That a prospective buyer who was going to buy only one domain may end up buying a domain from one of the other players in the industry over you, and hence, as more and more people enter the industry, it is a loss to your business.

Especially if it is the case that you operate in a segment where they can easily enter, do you think that they would take up some of the names that you could have bought and flipped?

Is a new entrant into the industry increasing the bandwidth of the industry or increasing competition?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My standby/maybe list is now over 1,300 possible registrations so I always have something that I can call on.

We all have our own wish lists that we keep adding domains to over the months. Not all the domains in those wish lists are worth registering, the trick is to find the few (maybe the top ten) that actually have some potentials and for those it might be best not to wait too long to pull the trigger because by now it's a proven fact that our domain research through some Registrars and Registers and even Whois is subject to prying eyes who would not hesitate to steal our research and register any worthwhile domains that we might have been able to come up with which in my opinion is a shame for the domain Industry to allow some people to benefit from other people's hard work by stealing their research.

Nevertheless it might be best to keep your portfolio small and be cautious as to how many domains you buy or register, but at the same time if you come across something that is considered to be a gem then don't hesitate to get it, you can trim your portfolio of some lesser quality domains later in order to still be able to keep it the same size.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Sure, and he is relying on data where:

1. The seller mostly did not know who the buyer was.

2. The seller more than likely responds slowly.

These are fixable problems.

I like Michael Sumner. He and I have had extensive discussions since he wrote that piece and we look forward to support NameBio.

We are working on something novel that we think NameBio customers will really appreciate -- a real-time feed of domain OFFERS.

We won't be publishing domain sales, but we think it might be fascinating to share what domains are getting verified offers, and to encourage the rest of the industry to publish that anonymized data.

Make Offer is more work but the pay-off is bigger for those who do the work. Fact.
Rob...i know you're aware that I'm working on a business model where I plan to give/gift domains simply for the cost of "shipping, handling and storage". At 72 years old young I really don't have time to hope and pray that someone finds one of my domains and pays me a premium:xf.rolleyes: As you're aware, I pay just $8 for my .com domains, some of which are actually OK.......even according to you:xf.smile:

That said, thanks for your help Rob(y)

Last edited:
•••
We all have our own wish lists that we keep adding domains to over the months. Not all the domains in those wish lists are worth registering, the trick is to find the few (maybe the top ten) that actually have some potentials and for those it might be best not to wait too long to pull the trigger because by now it's a proven fact that our domain research through some Registrars and Registers and even Whois is subject to prying eyes who would not hesitate to steal our research and register any worthwhile domains that we might have been able to come up with which in my opinion is a shame for the domain Industry to allow some people to benefit from other people's hard work by stealing their research.

Nevertheless it might be best to keep your portfolio small and be cautious as to how many domains you buy or register, but at the same time if you come across something that is considered to be a gem then don't hesitate to get it, you can trim your portfolio of some lesser quality domains later in order to still be able to keep it the same size.

IMO
oldtimer...everyone is different thank God! I just calculated that I've registered an "average" of 3 domains a day for the last two years, thus about a thousand domains a year.

At $8 a pop I don't give a lot of thought whether or not to pull the trigger, and like I've said, seldom would I buy a domain that I wouldn't consider using for a business I started myself. And yes, I've started dozens of business since college in 1970....not bragging, just a fact.

Regardless, the more anyone does this the better they will get imho. You don't have to have started as many business as I have, but if you're a little creative and have a sense of what an "end user" might buy, just keep at it. The one thing I will caution is, if you're not passionate about it, don't do it.

•••
They are making the pie bigger..

your pie gets bigger
as a registrar

the pool of end users stays the same
it 'a fluctuating size of a pool
but has no correlation to the number of newbie domainers

acquiring good domains gets more competitive
after a while
when they are no newbies any more

•••
Rob...i know you're aware that I'm working on a business model where I plan to give/gift domains simply for the cost of "shipping, handling and storage". At 72 years old young I really don't have time to hope and pray that someone finds one of my domains and pays me a premium:xf.rolleyes: As you're aware, I pay just $8 for my .com domains, some of which are actually OK.......even according to you:xf.smile:

That said, thanks for your help Rob(y)

If you are able to make domaining profitable for yourself it's okay to expand your portfolio as you see fit, but when I recommended that it was best to keep a small portfolio (under 250 domains) I was mostly talking about Newbies and those who are not getting any sales.

Once a Newbie has established a track record of making sales or monetizing their domains then they can build on that to the extent that they can preserve the same track record.

IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back