NameSilo

discuss Did .COM value increase because of new gTLD? Or rather decreased?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
New gTLDs have flooded the market now, with more than a thousand that have been released.

Did it increase the price of the corresponding .COM or actually decrease it?

The argument for both of these can be:

Since .COM is the king, anyone registering a new gTLD would someday want to upgrade to the matching .COM, thereby increasing it's demand and hence increasing its value!

On the other hand, since there are more options available to the blossoming businesses coming up, they can now go for the new gTLDs instead of the .COMs that may be priced really really high for them and maybe, not even think of the .COM!!??

What do you think about this?

If you have any other argument, feel free to pitch in!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My view...for highly-searched exact match commercial phrases with type-in traffic, .COM has retained its value. Type-in traffic is highly targeted and provides good leads for a potential buyer.

For brandables, .COM has lost value. A few years ago, someone looking for a domain might see a .COM available at Godaddy Premium Listings. If the .Net was taken and the BIN price reasonable, a sale might result. Now the buyer is presented with dozens of alternatives and premium listings only get exposure if the potential buyer is looking for the exact keyword phrase of your domain - something similar will not appear.

SEDO and Godaddy sales have dropped sharply. I suspect average portfolio turn is now less than 1%.

Imagine what would happen to a retailer like Target or Macy's or Home Depot with 1% inventory turn...

Domain acquisition is not free. Domain renewals are not free. End users generally place little value on domain names as brands. They are more often viewed as disposable items so why pay more than $25 for one.

•••
.com is till the king, In last one month out of Top 100 sales of more than $10,000

.com 70 (The Undisputed King)
.net 7
.org 1
.de 2
.us 5
.co 2
.co.uk 4
.tv 1
.nl 1
.pl 1
.pt 1
.at 1
.io 1
other tlds 3 (all 400+ tlds)

•••
I think the effect of other extensions on .com is that: Volume/Activity may decrease, but value will increase.

Sounds kind of odd, but lets say 10 people want "Rentals.com":

1 goes for FindRentals/com
1 goes for EasyRentals/com
1 goes for Rent/al
1 goes for For/Rent
1 goes for Rent/Today
1 goes for Rent/Cars
1 goes for Rental/Store
1 goes for Rentals/Online
1 goes for Rent/Space
1 goes for Rentals/[cctld]

...but, all of them still want Rentals.com.

:)

•••
.com value still as it is as early not too much down or increase because no one take place to .com

•••
.COM is imo not at risk to lose any of its value since there's currently a lot of issues with the new gTLDs:

- They were supposedly meant to give people/businesses additional and affordable choices in finding a business name. I agree with the additional part but not with the affordable part. Almost all the "good" gTLDs are either reserved by the registry or premium priced by the registry. The "decent" leftovers are usually instantly scooped up by some domain investors on the 1ste day of general availability (or earlier) and of course premium priced as well.
The result? For businesses it is difficult to find available domains in the new gTLDs consisting of premium keywords without having to pay a premium price to either the registry or a domainer (and that new gTLD often comes with a premium renewal price as well). So why would they bother when those businesses can just get a decent .com on the aftermarket instead? (without the premium renewal)
And that's what happening now, people/businesses are still buying the .com simply because the new choices they have are often too expensive choices and, unlike .com, these new choices do not get inherently trusted by customers.

- Too many of the new gTLDs do not get marketed (enough). A lot of people still don't know (and as a result trust) most of the new gTLDs. How can they buy something if they don't know it exists?

- And the few ones that do get marketed are doing promotions where the gTLDs are priced
ridiculously low. For example, an .XYZ for 1 penny? A gTLD priced too low just shouts spam in my opinion. Doing this doesn't bring value to the extension. It just tells people it's worthless. But for some registries registration numbers are all what matters.

- The new gTLDs are confusing to a lot of people (due to not being marketed enough). When, for example, you tell someone to go to immigration.lawyer (available BTW by the registry for only $70K ;) ) chances are likely they will end up on immigrationlawyer.com.

- Finally a big issue with a lot of the new gTLDs is that they are too specific, which results in limitations. .party, .trade, .horse, .racing, .loan... There's not many keywords that make sense for TLDs like that because they are a niche. On the other hand gTLDs such as .web, .blog, .store are better imo because they can be used for basically anything, just like .com can be used for anything.

Last edited:
•••
.COM rules. No matter how much or how less, the value remains.

•••
I think the effect of other extensions on .com is that: Volume/Activity may decrease, but value will increase.

1 goes for Rent/al
1 goes for For/Rent
1 goes for Rent/Today
1 goes for Rent/Cars
1 goes for Rental/Store
1 goes for Rent/Space

That's a good argument. In case they are operating in some particular geography only, that would mean, they can do away with the ccTLD. Like if they are operating in India, they can work with the .IN extension.
They don't need to go for .COM unless they are planning to expand abroad.

Your views?

•••
That's a good argument. In case they are operating in some particular geography only, that would mean, they can do away with the ccTLD. Like if they are operating in India, they can work with the .IN extension.
They don't need to go for .COM unless they are planning to expand abroad.

Your views?

Yes, I agree. In that case, I think it might be the .com owner who wants the .in. Similar to how Google secures cctld's, to appeal to all the different geographical markets. :)

•••

1 goes for Rent/al
1 goes for For/Rent
1 goes for Rent/Today
1 goes for Rent/Cars
1 goes for Rental/Store
1 goes for Rent/Space

I dunno. If I was a storage renting place I wouldn't mind Rent.Space at all. In fact I may opt for it. Rentals.com is so ambiguous. And .Storage is restricted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back