Domain Empire

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have the business hat on. - Let`s start...

I think .media is really good for branding your main corporation. and it shouldn`t be so hard to type www.2A.Media - It looks like an innovative company behind the domain but for google ranking you need to work on SEO and Content.

If you don`t own the 2Amedia.com than this is the best option you have to own.

Apparently .com version is owned by an asian company and it is active.

I wouldn`t register a trademark where the dot com is taken but I may register it if I have 2A.Media option.

Thanks. Yes. 2A.Media is me and part of the reason, okay, majority of the reason for it is that it was easy to remember and it was a 2 character domain that would have some end users.... the $80 per year renewal though is sucky lol.

Never intended to develop it, but just need something up..... Actually threw it up halfway done a few days ago just to have something as I am starting to do outbound.

2A is for the Second Amendment.... yes I am one of those gun loving, freedom loving Americans. lol. (who was born and raised in the former soviet union).

•••
e
Awesome for Sixt.... but perhaps a US thing... they are a minority player here...

Try another. =P

But they also use the .com and where I always went... but never rented with them.

I am sure there are token examples out there... but let's be honest... using anything but .com is a hurdle.... that is why Sixt has the .com... obviously they see value in it.

Hyundai made crap cars for years, it took decades but folks are now accepting them.
the new TLDs may have a future, but it will take decades for them to get general acceptance. I do wish they do... but as a business owner, it is a risk to go beyond .com.

I was fairly active in the .pro discussions, but very few end users adopted .pro. Even less end users are adopting and developing the other TLDs.

If you can pick up great one word domains, absolutely, they will have a use... but it may be A LONG long while for them to have any value. For every one Consulting.Global.... there are hundreds if not thousands of crap domains.

There are many more companies using nGTLD's apart from Sixth... lots of them.. and yes large multinational companies too. It's midnight here now and I would rather hit the sack than look for more examples for you :)

As mentoned earlier...I have already turned down 2 low $xxxx offers (when I say low I mean highest being $3000) on consulting.global- 1 end user and 1 investor... apart from the two offers I have had about 7 enquires on consulting.global ... I don't know if they were end users or domainers.. so you are incorrect about it taking a LONG LONG while for them to have value...hmm they already have value....its just a matter of me wating it out now until I get a price that I'm happy with.

•••
•••
The also own the sixt dot com for the unpaid organic search, both sites offer nearly the same. I assume they probably use .global extension to track their adsense budget and lead generation tracking, which is a good idea to separate them. Those who pay to find them versus those that don't. They also own a number of other sixt ccTld's .ie, .co.uk, etc.

They use the .global domain on their TV ad campaigns as well ... it is one of their primary domains.

Last edited:
•••
And let's be honest, the only reason you're posting this in Domain Industry News and not in the dedicated New gTLDs section is to GET EXPOSURE for your agenda (i.e. like a snake oil salesman).
Also...and thank you for your participation by the way.

•••
Most people commenting on gTLD threads usually do it when they feel the advice given is plain wrong.

In any case, this may be an eye opener to some:
http://onlinedomain.com/2016/10/17/...gtld-registrations-except-regional-new-gtlds/

If new gTLDs don't affect legacy TLDs such as .com then why would .com investors hate them? We don't hate them. We just don't like when they are constantly hyped.

I think the problem is that there is a huge disconnect when it comes to how people view nGTLD's and their purpose. This disconnect applies to many nGTLD investors as well as many who are against nGTLD's.

There are too many people who are comparing nGTLD to .com's as if they should be replacing .com's and that they will take over the .com marketspace... but people need to understand how and where they can be used and then register them accordingly.... for example.. You can not expect shoes.online to be a better domain than shoes.com however a company called Shoes Online that uses ShoesOnline.com could benefit from incorporating Shoes.online into their domain portfolio... some companies might choose to use the .online as their primary domain and some won't. The example of Sixt car rental mentioned on previous comments is an excellent exmaple of good useage. Sixt is a leading global car rental company and they own sixt.com and are also using sixt.global as one of their primary domains, they also own loads of ccTLD's. It does not have to a case of one or the other...

Last edited:
•••
To be clear, you would register a .media let's say lion.media, when there was a live site/business on lionmedia.com? If so, that's horrible advice. Just come up with another name. You will lose some traffic to the .com, how much is up for debate. Then the possibility of issues with the .com owner.
What would you do if your registered company name and brand is already taken and used by another business from a different company?

Would you register .net instead of .Media if your company name is 2A Media ?

Or what would you do?

If he was on the path to register a trademark of course I would suggest him to come up with a name where he can register dot com.

And of course if his company name have a potential of exact match extension, that would be way better for him.

2A.Media and 2Amedia.com

See which one appeals your eye as a bigger company?

Which one is more descriptive? 2 Amedia or 2A MEDIA

•••
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

very simple. people can tell the difference between a fact and a lie, a fact and a delusion and a fact and wishful thinking.

we don't like BS and we don't support scammy registries

•••
guys, all these .com owners are here to make sure we save money and invest in .com only from kindness of their hearts they are super worried about us, and they never think about their own business interest ,wow, thank you guys , dont know what to say, I restore my faith in humanity

You already said it all in the other thread. Continue buying new gtlds and not selling. Great plan.

no i am not selling i am domain collector , I just collect domains like stamps

As far as marketing being the law of perception is concerned...that might be true but thats only if you take marketing into consideration without incorporating human behaviour into it. One thing is inevitable, humans evolve and adapt to change quickly... especially when it comes to technology. How fast did people move from keypads to full touch screen phones? At the time many of the tech experts complained and said there will always be a market for keypad phones as touchscreen are cumbersome and don't allow single hand operation so there will always a part of the market that will still preffer keypads on their phones... hmm how many keypad based smart phones do we see on the market today?

This isn't some advancement in technology, it's just different extensions. Evolve and adapt quickly? See earlier post

"For the second week in a row, there is not a single startup on the list this week that decided to use a new domain name extension."

http://dngeek.com/2017/06/moneytap-com-make-tv-lanla-com/

Last edited:
•••
look up the word "sarcasm " in dictionary , you will understand
You already said it all in the other thread. Continue buying new gtlds and not selling. Great plan.

This isn't some advancement in technology, it's just different extensions. Evolve and adapt quickly? See earlier post

"For the second week in a row, there is not a single startup on the list this week that decided to use a new domain name extension."

http://dngeek.com/2017/06/moneytap-com-make-tv-lanla-com/

Interesting how you ALWAYS jump at any oppurtunity to bash nGTLD's.... check out all the nGTLD threads, you are ALWAYS there and often it's you and a few other of the same people bashing them...lol

According to you nGTLD's are basically pigeonsh*t..why then do you have such an obsession with pigeon sh*t? Kinda seems more like you trying to convince as many people as you can to follow your narrative...

Whatever the case... it's getting old.

•••
@JB Lions more people buy new gtld domains is better for you ,don't you think? because there will be more .com domains available and you don't have to compete with more people over a good .com domain no? unless you are losing business on .com and you dont want people to invest their money somewhere else,, that is my 2 cents.. closing my case.

•••
And at the same time eth.com sold for 7 digits, and before ethereum.com for allegedly 5 mil.

•••
Isn't new technology? - .eth - blockchain meets domains - Old technology?

Obviously the other nGTLD's are not new technology, when did I say they were?? Or is it a case of you reading something I said and filling in the blanks to paint a picture that makes sense to you because you are dependant on your OWN view due to your inability to see someone elses view?

"As far as marketing being the law of perception is concerned...that might be true but thats only if you take marketing into consideration without incorporating human behaviour into it. One thing is inevitable, humans evolve and adapt to change quickly... especially when it comes to technology. How fast did people move from keypads to full touch screen phones? At the time many of the tech experts complained and said there will always be a market for keypad phones as touchscreen are cumbersome and don't allow single hand operation so there will always a part of the market that will still preffer keypads on their phones... hmm how many keypad based smart phones do we see on the market today?"

One thing is inevitable, humans evolve and adapt to change quickly... especially when it comes to technology -
When did I claim nGTLD's were NEW technology??

Then you go on and talk about startups....
79 start ups in that article and most of them used .com domains or ccTLD's...so what?

The response that you just quoted, your own about keypads/touchscreens, was to what offthehandle posted:

"That day, will mean the new extensions stand on their own."

We're discussing new gtlds, .com etc. are you saying your replies have nothing to do with the subject even tho you quote it and then make a reply?

The startup example was to point out, they're (startups at least) not adapting and changing quickly.

•••
i think it hurt the; org, net, info, pro, etc - if anything
I think this is a great point.

I do believe that .org has its place, particularly for non-profits, but .net, .info, etc are becoming more irrelevant, and now those three are getting closer in value to everything else.

•••
.org hurt itself.

It raised its prices by less than $1 for wholesale, wholesalers added another $2 on top, as a result my GD price even with DDC is almost 50% higher than .com price.

•••

People don't usually like to be 'teased' about something they hold near and dear, or about something they believe to be 'absolute truth'.

Maybe the "hate" is in part because of how the ".com" domainers are looking at things? Eg. Most all of what I have is .com. I just sold one for 15k, that I hand regged a couple years ago. If some fan of new gTLDs hadn't been so much a fan of them and focused so much on them, maybe they would have gotten to the .com before me and then I wouldn't have had the sale?

THANK YOU NEW GTLDS!!

*TEASE* ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
.horse is no joke! Just look at this incredibly serious .horse page someone crafted:

http://taylorswift.horse :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Both her and the horse are a joke.

Listen or read the ICANN debates and reports prior 2012. The dot horse is related to the Derby horses and Horse protected names. It was clear from the start that dot horse is a very small special niche. Nothing else.

horseracingintfed.com

I didnt look that and I learn something new daily! Thanks!

•••
That's like saying Madison Ave is complaining Brooklyn is hurting their business. I own dot coms and beyond including emojis. I see this as not an either or but whatever you like depending on what you want to do.

•••
I believe new TLDs are hurting average .COM domains because the largest consumers of domain names are domain investors. So when domain investors have a thousand TLD options instead of a dozen, what do they end up doing - buying the latest TLD release rather than buying aftermarket .COM auctions from other investors. But realistically end user demand for domains has not changed much. Of course there are many low-budget buyers who have new options. They might have considered a .Net previously for low $XXX while now they go for a new TLD for $XX. Are they going to pay $XXXX plus premium renewals for a new TLD when they wouldn't pay that for a .COM? NOPE.

•••
But end users already had plenty of options before, like alt TLDs such as .biz or ccTLDs - repurposed or not. .io or .ws suck but they are no worse than many of the nTLDs we are seeing today.
A good point, Kate.
I think that of the repurposed ccTLDs, only .CO and .TV would be closest to the new gTLDs. The reason for this is that most new gTLDs, apart from the brand and generics, are actually domain hacks on a large scale.

And it's not so easy to buy good keywords in nTLDs, as many were either reserved by the registries or scooped up by speculators. The end user is often back to square one, having to pay a premium for a 'good' domain. It's no wonder the registries are the power sellers in this business.
What worries me about the premium market in non-generic NGTs is that these premiums are following .COM rules rather than a set of rules more applicable to the gTLD in question. Thus they are a false market based on .COM rather than on the value of the NGT. At worst, it ends up producing registrations that are, in reality tulip domains based on unrealistic expectations and valuations.

Regards...jmcc

•••
A domainer will register 100 domains, probably drop all of them because the gTLD turns out not to have the same kind of sales opportunities as .COM and then move on to the next big thing and register 100 more domains. A registry needs repeat business and while domainers can give a boost to a new gTLD, too much speculation and too little development will kill a new TLD. Getting the balance right, at registry level, is difficult.

Regards...jmcc

If we put it purely on a monetary basis, a domainer outperforms a typical end-user.

Domainer : 10-100 x reg.fee (ie. 10-100 domains x 1 year)
End-user : 3-10 reg.fee (ie. 1 domain x 3-10 years)

A registry would want the reg volume of a domainer and the renewal consistency of an end user :)

•••
Even you admitted @jmcc it is still .com/cctld.

It isn't looking good. Once the spam, investors, etc. clears out what are these extensions left with?

Actually some of the new gTLDs have and many of the ccTLD registries have too.

Sometimes I wonder if the domain search facility on HosterStats is a database of broken dreams. :)

The stats for the new gTLDs for June aren't exactly encouraging. 1,080,287 new regs and 1,609,439 deletions. And later this month should be quite interesting.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Once the spam, investors, etc. clears out what are these extensions left with?

What will be left will be the nTLD snakeoil club promoters kicking the can down road looking for more suckers dreaming up new scams, schemes and pitches to the unwary. Just like the pump and dump, wall street penny stock scams. They will do like all failed product lines under one corporate umbrella, they will fund continuous operations of the failed with profitable side of the business. In this case: .Com.

Last edited:
•••
Don't forget, that Chineses live not only in China... and they invest not only from China...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back