IT.COM

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

guillon

Established Member
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it mainly hurts the people investing in them.

•••
The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business

It's the only reason! Which is why the same old people run to every new gTLD thread and post the same old "Sky is falling" crap. It's so monotonous! :banghead:

•••
•••
1. Is this "Domain Industry News"?

2. Do you like it when others sell snake oil and "tease" others that it is hurting their gold value?

3. If not on .com (or an established ccTLD for local business) then it can be on any TLD, so *your* gTLD collection is practically worthless, since there are so many alternatives.

There has always been those that make do with .net, or now .co, .io, only when *they cannot get the .com*

•••
And let's be honest, the only reason you're posting this in Domain Industry News and not in the dedicated New gTLDs section is to GET EXPOSURE for your agenda (i.e. like a snake oil salesman).

•••
•••
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?
"

"Hate" is a strong word my friend, and I see a lot of hate post against new gTLD domains.

To hate new gTLDs they have to be hurt !

I just made a quick profile-background check this month and I was surprised with the results.

There are few members who make bad comments on any gTLD related thread on namePros.

I went thru their profile to see in which areas are they spending their time.

Shocking! They are strictly investing on dot com but they mostly spend their time commenting and reading new gTLD section of the forums.

Why? Obvious right :upsetbaby:

Now whenever I see a post against gTLDs I do the background check.

I strongly suggest fellow domainers do the same, starting with this thread.

Hope it helps!

•••

It actually hurts those who buy the snake oil...

I had few sales where a business started/moved/rebranded to name.newgtld because they fell for the sale pitch only in 1-2-3 years to discover that they are wasting some of the efforts and budgets because of not having THE DEFAULT extension

You go with Yourname.Global for example, and when someone sees it they have no clue if it is even a domain, while Yourname.COM is perceived as a domain, even when that is your brand and people assume that the website also exists. Moreover, when your sign says YOURNAME people will assume website is at Yourname.com (or Yourname.cctld in uk, de, nl, ru etc.).

•••
It actually hurts those who buy the snake oil...

I had few sales where a business started/moved/rebranded to name.newgtld because they fell for the sale pitch only in 1-2-3 years to discover that they are wasting some of the efforts and budgets because of not having THE DEFAULT extension

You go with Yourname.Global for example, and when someone sees it they have no clue if it is even a domain, while Yourname.COM is perceived as a domain, even when that is your brand and people assume that the website also exists. Moreover, when your sign says YOURNAME people will assume website is at Yourname.com (or Yourname.cctld in uk, de, nl, ru etc.).
You need to define www. before a new gTLD domain than the problem solved.

When dot com established people were strictly typing www. before the dot com so they would know they were connecting to the World Wide Web..

I guess that is not a rocket science to understand that www.New.Gtld is a website.

•••
New gTLDs have not hurt my business (I mostly sells 2 words brandable) - I do not hate new gTLDs and would like to buy some, but all the good ones is reserved and often very expensive and costs too much to renew and therefore it`s nearly impossible to earn money on them - Many fans of new gTLDs end up with a lot of secondary names (e.g. instead of domain.pro, they ends up with domaning.pro) and I'm pretty sure that this kind of names never will hurt my .com business.

•••
I don't think .com investors are hurting. Perhaps trying to save folks money.

The new tlds may sounds great but only folks making money are the registries and sponsors...

End users don't care for them much... And try to explain your website .coffee or .club.

Some do okay globally, where folks are used to cctld but if the business is in United States, you are hurting yourself by going to anything but .com

Hell, I even had issues with .media tld where some company forms did not accept emails ending in a tld more than 3 chars after the dot.

All of that has to change.

If and when it does.... Then all domains will go to reg fee values as there would be infinite choice. In the mean time, folks would waste more on renewals that may shoot up or tlds that just disappear

•••

That maybe true but it's all relative.

If you adopted the above saying when you were a little kid just learning how to walk.. you would fallen down ONCE...and then spent the rest of your life crawling cos you would remember the past when you fell down and wouldn't want to be condemned to repeat it.

Progress doesn't happen from doing the same thing over and over again just because it works, progress happens when a people challange the status quo.

The old saying "if it aint broken, don't fix it" is the kind of thinking that retards progress. We would all still be using Windows 98 if that was the case...

•••
You need to define www. before a new gTLD domain than the problem solved.

When dot com established people were strictly typing www. before the dot com so they would know they were connecting to the World Wide Web..

I guess that is not a rocket science to understand that www.New.Gtld is a website.

Let's say I have a limited space on my billboard, card, ad etc.

Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

Same width, much better visibility.

And you could just right YOURNAME and people would infer your domain by just adding .com themselves.

•••

Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

And you could just right YOURNAME and people would infer your domain by just adding .com themselves.

Your example is highly flawed...

Look at at the domain in my signature... Consulting.Global

The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

www.Consulting.Global
ConsultingGlobal.com

When people become more familiar with nGTLD's then we can drop the www and it will just be Consulting.Global - with the com, thats as short as it's ever going to get.

Last edited:
•••
Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

Of course, that's all well and good, but yourname.com has to be available and if available, not be cost prohibitive to purchase! If it's not available, or priced too high on the resale market, yourname.newgTLD will most likely work just as well at a fraction of the cost. But that's not even what we are talking about. These threads are consistently overrun with new gTLD haters, using these same old arguments that are not even pertinent to the question being asked!

Only @Casey L. answered the question in his opinion.

The same old arguments are made in every one of these threads. We all know most end users, would prefer to have their preferred domain name in .com. That's not what this thread is about!

It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works. And because of these factors it's only natural that the more end users opt for a new gTLD the less .com's will be sold on the aftermarket. It's Economics 101! Supply and Demand. There is an over supply of quality names on the market now because of the new gTLD program, therefore placing price and volume pressure on the aftermarket for .com's. But this may not apply to you, and if it doesn't congratulations, you're doing better than most.

There is over 1,100 new gTLD's and counting! And yes, we know some are not good, some will not last, some are good, and a few are great. They are ALL not going away. Most are likely, here to stay, forever and will eventually be as common as your beloved .com. The new gTLD haters love to group all 1,100 new gTLD's in the same boat! Nothing could be more ridiculous than that! And so if your answer to the question @guillon asks is, "No, the overabundance and availability of new gTLD's is not hurting my .com sales!", then state so and move on, without the "I hate new gTLD diatribes" that have become a running theme in every new gTLD thread on NamePros! It's getting old guys!

•••
It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works.

Yet
"For the second week in a row, there is not a single startup on the list this week that decided to use a new domain name extension."

http://dngeek.com/2017/06/moneytap-com-make-tv-lanla-com/

A no here too.

"atinc, post: 6227419, member: 995955"Now whenever I see a post against gTLDs I do the background check.

Exactly. Thread starter's business is new gtld consulting. You advice other domainers to buy new gtlds, even tho you've never sold one.

Now, there are some who invest in these and it's just buy at x, sell more than x. Normal domaining stuff but they don't go off the deep end and say some of the stuff posted in this thread and others. Next .com, pretend startups are just eating these up, not selling any, losing money on them, ridiculous comparisons, like the thread starter in another thread with cars and horses, PCs. So with the second group, expect to get challenged if you continually post nonsense.

Last edited:
•••
Again @JB Lions, it doesn't apply to the question being asked. Of course, if a startup has just raised millions from investors their investors probably want or demand to see it start-up on a .com. That would be business 101. But it still doesn't answer @guillon s question. The question is not "What is the most popular extension?" It's more likely that smaller start-ups starting on a limited budget or shoestring would use a new gTLD as they don't have the capital outlay to purchase a .com on the aftermarket and therefore will register a new gTLD that works.

•••
Again @JB Lions, it doesn't apply to the question being asked. Of course, if a startup has just raised millions from investors their investors probably want or demand to see it start-up on a .com. That would be business 101. But it still doesn't answer @guillon s question. The question is not "What is the most popular extension?" It's more likely that smaller start-ups starting on a limited budget or shoestring would use a new gTLD as they don't have the capital outlay to purchase a .com on the aftermarket and therefore will register a new gTLD that works.

It's just him teasing again. No, it hasn't hurt my .com sales. I've said before these new gtlds are more likely to affect the other extensions people settle for, when they can't get the .com. From .net to .info to newer ones like .co or .me.

A lot of you like to think that as a reason for some of the brush back but for me, it's more of what I just posted in my last post. The going off the deep end, new gtld investors.

•••

Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

Great example.

•••
Your example is highly flawed...

Look at at the domain in my signature... Consulting.Global

www.Consulting.Global
ConsultingGlobal.com

When people become more familiar with nGTLD's then we can drop the www and it will just be Consulting.Global - with the com, thats as short as it's ever going to get.

No, did not mean where the extension is type of the name. Those are even more confusing.

RECONS .com

www. RECONS .global
www. RECONS .online

•••
That maybe true but it's all relative.

If you adopted the above saying when you were a little kid just learning how to walk.. you would fallen down ONCE...and then spent the rest of your life crawling cos you would remember the past when you fell down and wouldn't want to be condemned to repeat it.

Progress doesn't happen from doing the same thing over and over again just because it works, progress happens when a people challange the status quo.

The old saying "if it aint broken, don't fix it" is the kind of thinking that retards progress. We would all still be using Windows 98 if that was the case...

You know Deez, I like you and what you have to say. I understand what you are saying generally, that the new Extensions, are new. Progressive? Maybe. Confusing? Yes. The world now is saturated. It is awash with confusion and we all are being bombarded from so many dirrections of instantaneous ways and platforms of communications, news, information, investments, 1000's of apps that do the same thing, etc. but only some of them dominate, and are the only thing as a "brand" that sticks in your head- whatsapp, Kleenex, Windex, Dow, NBC, CBS, Facebook, g oogle, wordpress, and everything else are also-rans, non or semi competitive.

Unfortunately, this the reality, as I like competition. I wish there was more acceptance, but the laws of maketing and human behavior are predictable.

The Goo gle EU slap and antitrust fine today, is a good thing but it will probably not stick. The microsoft antitrust trial years back was a joke too, it didnt change anything or punish them for putting Netscape out or hundreds of others. Amazon is this monster changing the world too, much in the same way it brings ease and convenience and also devours competition. Alibaba and BangGood are also rans in the west. Youtube dominates, read today 1 billion views per x time period... how many others can you name? Vimeo maybe. Household name brands need standards, and it is set. .com.

Comparing Windows 98 = .com versus Windows 10 = .Horse is kinda absurb don't you think?

The joke above is a very famous event. I am an old fart. You probably don't recall it. It actually made the word CoolAid a household name, just like .com is a household name. It also made the phrase "drinking the CoolAid" famous for things that the masses get sucked into doing, like Lemmings walking off in droves off a cliff. People were duped into this tragic event by a snakeoil salesman, like so many evangelists of whatever they are trying to sell.

I find this topic to be amusing really. As stated before, it seems like a shame that people don't understand how markets work. Sure, Uber disrupts traditional thinking. But .Horse? .whatever? Does it disrupt or is it a mistake? Time will tell.

Maybe after 10 more years of regging .horse and feeding the .whateveregistry, some people will wake up and see it was a failed experiment. The world has quite a few crazy electrical plugs and 2 basic voltage ranges for the past 100 years. When traveling, people need to remember which one to use. There are several standards. The new Gtlds will maybe wind up with a few remaining, like electrical plugs once everyone gets used to them. .net, .org and the ccTlds will be also rans as far as value to .com. Maybe... .club, .shop, .store, .property etc will survive. But it is going to a long time of regging .horse and .guitar for them to be of investor value. This is the market. Read the book I suggested before.

Like I've said before, its a standard. People are used to it, its automatic. It passes the radio test ( stupid cliche term that is), it requires no explanation, it has market dominance, people use the new extensions to forward to .com's.

What the OP wants is some big emotional response, not one of logic. So I posted the Joke.

I wish the best to .horse. Reality is that it will wind up like the famous scene in the godfather...

•••
I wish the best to .horse. Reality is that it will wind up like the famous scene in the godfather...

I never met any serious new gTLD investor who invest on .horse domains.

Just saying!

Re-phrasing new gTLDs with .horse is another interesting approach I see on this platform.

•••
No, did not mean where the extension is type of the name. Those are even more confusing.

RECONS .com

www. RECONS .global
www. RECONS .online

This is the whole point that many nonGTLD investors have been missing and the same point that many nGTLD fans have been saying over and over again.. the right side of the dot has to match the left side of the dot.

•••
I never met any serious new gTLD investor who invest on .horse domains.

Just saying!

Re-phrasing new gTLDs with .horse is another interesting approach I see on this platform.

.horse is a joke as always the worst case example.

Ok, but .Center. close to .Horse imho.
.store and .tours you maybe might sell in a few years. I hope you do sell them and retire comfortably. You just need to get on the phone to sell them.

•••
Back