Dynadot

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

guillon

Established Member
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it mainly hurts the people investing in them.

•••
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

It actually hurts those who buy the snake oil...

I had few sales where a business started/moved/rebranded to name.newgtld because they fell for the sale pitch only in 1-2-3 years to discover that they are wasting some of the efforts and budgets because of not having THE DEFAULT extension

You go with Yourname.Global for example, and when someone sees it they have no clue if it is even a domain, while Yourname.COM is perceived as a domain, even when that is your brand and people assume that the website also exists. Moreover, when your sign says YOURNAME people will assume website is at Yourname.com (or Yourname.cctld in uk, de, nl, ru etc.).

•••
Here are my new GTLD sales to date

Wire.berlin $8,750 USD, (Mar 3, 2015)
Wizard.berlin $360 USD, (Oct 13, 2015)
613.xyz $1,000 USD, (May 31, 2016)
Whistler.life $250 USD, (Mar 21, 2017)

I own 400 new GTLD's and have invested roughly $3,000 USD to date in new GTLD's

.com is king and I am guessing, always will be, however, given time there should be general acceptance and use of some select new GTLD extensions.

Upon asking a very successful one of the old guard first to the trough circa 1996-1999, original one word .com domain registrants, which of the new GTLD's he thought would be best to invest in, I was told,
.club
.xyz
.group

, for what it's worth.

Hatred? I think the sheer volume of new extensions created in such a short time period and the resultant confusion can be attributed to the expressed frustration and hatred if you will. I think the policies of protecting large swaths of names by the registries and the exorbitant reg and renewal fees for the "premium" names is at the root of the hatred.

It seems to me that the wild west of the .com boom has been put into overdrive with the introduction of the new GTLDs.

One obvious observation that I will offer, for what it's worth is, the domain name business is not for the faint of heart! The domain name game is as ugly a business as there is. Why? Money, short and sweet.

The potential for making huge profits will bring to bear a level of competition where anything goes, and where anything goes, the weak when beaten, hate.

IMHO

Robert McLean

•••
The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business

It's the only reason! Which is why the same old people run to every new gTLD thread and post the same old "Sky is falling" crap. It's so monotonous! :banghead:

•••
New gTLDs have not hurt my business (I mostly sells 2 words brandable) - I do not hate new gTLDs and would like to buy some, but all the good ones is reserved and often very expensive and costs too much to renew and therefore it`s nearly impossible to earn money on them - Many fans of new gTLDs end up with a lot of secondary names (e.g. instead of domain.pro, they ends up with domaning.pro) and I'm pretty sure that this kind of names never will hurt my .com business.

•••
"

"Hate" is a strong word my friend, and I see a lot of hate post against new gTLD domains.

To hate new gTLDs they have to be hurt !

I just made a quick profile-background check this month and I was surprised with the results.

There are few members who make bad comments on any gTLD related thread on namePros.

I went thru their profile to see in which areas are they spending their time.

Shocking! They are strictly investing on dot com but they mostly spend their time commenting and reading new gTLD section of the forums.

Why? Obvious right :upsetbaby:

Now whenever I see a post against gTLDs I do the background check.

I strongly suggest fellow domainers do the same, starting with this thread.

Hope it helps!

•••
I don't think .com investors are hurting. Perhaps trying to save folks money.

The new tlds may sounds great but only folks making money are the registries and sponsors...

End users don't care for them much... And try to explain your website .coffee or .club.

Some do okay globally, where folks are used to cctld but if the business is in United States, you are hurting yourself by going to anything but .com

Hell, I even had issues with .media tld where some company forms did not accept emails ending in a tld more than 3 chars after the dot.

All of that has to change.

If and when it does.... Then all domains will go to reg fee values as there would be infinite choice. In the mean time, folks would waste more on renewals that may shoot up or tlds that just disappear

•••
Let's say I have a limited space on my billboard, card, ad etc.

Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

Same width, much better visibility.

And you could just right YOURNAME and people would infer your domain by just adding .com themselves.

Your example is highly flawed...

Look at at the domain in my signature... Consulting.Global

The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

www.Consulting.Global
ConsultingGlobal.com

When people become more familiar with nGTLD's then we can drop the www and it will just be Consulting.Global - with the com, thats as short as it's ever going to get.

Last edited:
•••
Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

Same width, much better visibility.

Of course, that's all well and good, but yourname.com has to be available and if available, not be cost prohibitive to purchase! If it's not available, or priced too high on the resale market, yourname.newgTLD will most likely work just as well at a fraction of the cost. But that's not even what we are talking about. These threads are consistently overrun with new gTLD haters, using these same old arguments that are not even pertinent to the question being asked!

Only @Casey L. answered the question in his opinion.

The same old arguments are made in every one of these threads. We all know most end users, would prefer to have their preferred domain name in .com. That's not what this thread is about!

It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works. And because of these factors it's only natural that the more end users opt for a new gTLD the less .com's will be sold on the aftermarket. It's Economics 101! Supply and Demand. There is an over supply of quality names on the market now because of the new gTLD program, therefore placing price and volume pressure on the aftermarket for .com's. But this may not apply to you, and if it doesn't congratulations, you're doing better than most.

There is over 1,100 new gTLD's and counting! And yes, we know some are not good, some will not last, some are good, and a few are great. They are ALL not going away. Most are likely, here to stay, forever and will eventually be as common as your beloved .com. The new gTLD haters love to group all 1,100 new gTLD's in the same boat! Nothing could be more ridiculous than that! And so if your answer to the question @guillon asks is, "No, the overabundance and availability of new gTLD's is not hurting my .com sales!", then state so and move on, without the "I hate new gTLD diatribes" that have become a running theme in every new gTLD thread on NamePros! It's getting old guys!

•••
You know Deez, I like you and what you have to say. I understand what you are saying generally, that the new Extensions, are new. Progressive? Maybe. Confusing? Yes. The world now is saturated. It is awash with confusion and we all are being bombarded from so many dirrections of instantaneous ways and platforms of communications, news, information, investments, 1000's of apps that do the same thing, etc. but only some of them dominate, and are the only thing as a "brand" that sticks in your head- whatsapp, Kleenex, Windex, Dow, NBC, CBS, Facebook, g oogle, wordpress, and everything else are also-rans, non or semi competitive.

Unfortunately, this the reality, as I like competition. I wish there was more acceptance, but the laws of maketing and human behavior are predictable.

The Goo gle EU slap and antitrust fine today, is a good thing but it will probably not stick. The microsoft antitrust trial years back was a joke too, it didnt change anything or punish them for putting Netscape out or hundreds of others. Amazon is this monster changing the world too, much in the same way it brings ease and convenience and also devours competition. Alibaba and BangGood are also rans in the west. Youtube dominates, read today 1 billion views per x time period... how many others can you name? Vimeo maybe. Household name brands need standards, and it is set. .com.

Comparing Windows 98 = .com versus Windows 10 = .Horse is kinda absurb don't you think?

The joke above is a very famous event. I am an old fart. You probably don't recall it. It actually made the word CoolAid a household name, just like .com is a household name. It also made the phrase "drinking the CoolAid" famous for things that the masses get sucked into doing, like Lemmings walking off in droves off a cliff. People were duped into this tragic event by a snakeoil salesman, like so many evangelists of whatever they are trying to sell.

I find this topic to be amusing really. As stated before, it seems like a shame that people don't understand how markets work. Sure, Uber disrupts traditional thinking. But .Horse? .whatever? Does it disrupt or is it a mistake? Time will tell.

Maybe after 10 more years of regging .horse and feeding the .whateveregistry, some people will wake up and see it was a failed experiment. The world has quite a few crazy electrical plugs and 2 basic voltage ranges for the past 100 years. When traveling, people need to remember which one to use. There are several standards. The new Gtlds will maybe wind up with a few remaining, like electrical plugs once everyone gets used to them. .net, .org and the ccTlds will be also rans as far as value to .com. Maybe... .club, .shop, .store, .property etc will survive. But it is going to a long time of regging .horse and .guitar for them to be of investor value. This is the market. Read the book I suggested before.

Like I've said before, its a standard. People are used to it, its automatic. It passes the radio test ( stupid cliche term that is), it requires no explanation, it has market dominance, people use the new extensions to forward to .com's.

What the OP wants is some big emotional response, not one of logic. So I posted the Joke.

I wish the best to .horse. Reality is that it will wind up like the famous scene in the godfather...

This is the biggest challenge, people need to seperate nGTLD's and not paint them all with the same brush...there ar 100's of them and too many people assume that some of us who invest in nGTLD's are buying just about any nGTLD... this is not the case.. I only invest in some of them, the ones that make sense.. and I know many of the sharp nGTLD investors are doing the same.. not grabbing the silly .donkey or .horse ... the ones that stand out are .club , .online . global and a few others... also keep in mind that many of us nGTLD investors are also .com and cctld investors, we are not soley invested in nGTLD's... I have an long long background in marketing as well as well and even more so in human behavior. This is the exact reason why I invest in nGTLD's.

•••
for the Global.... were those offers from end Users? You know, actual decision makers, or from domain investor?

I have yet to see any serious company use a secondary TLD. Especially with more than 3 characters.

The only reason I use .media is because I have 2A.... and 2A Media is my corporate name. I fit the domain around my company name. If it was anything else... such as

JoeSmoe Media.... I would rather have JoeSmoeMedia.com, over JoeSmoe.Media.

The funny part as I explained in other posts, at least 4 or 5 websites where I tried to signup/register with my .media email did not let me.... and I had to use another domain with .com.

Trust me, I am a FAN of many of these new TLDs.... but from the business sense, I would not recommend them to a client, especially when a .com is avail.

There is no credit to being forward thinking. lol, especially at the expense of business.

How about one of the largest car rental companies in the world?

They also use this as their primary domain for their Google adsense campaign... they also own the .com as well.. but use this as their primary domain now.
https://www.sixt.global

Now let me explain how brand awareness is created... people seeing this car rental site. (a few million per year) will learn that .global is a new website extention... when they see it again.. they will know it's a URL

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a domain investor, but I have several businesses and websites. Until quite recently I always tried to get the .com, even if I was using another Tld just to divert extra traffic that assumed the brand would own the .com.

However, most .com domains are reserved by investors who expect insanely high prices, even for average, or below average names. Now I just get the best domain for each website... And it is rarely a .com. on older sites I've dropped the.com with no adverse effects.

I would expect in a few years time as more people get used to the possible variations, .com will be dead.

•••
guys, all these .com owners are here to make sure we save money and invest in .com only from kindness of their hearts they are super worried about us, and they never think about their own business interest ,wow, thank you guys , dont know what to say, I restore my faith in humanity

•••
The new extensions work as an investment to only the top 1% of keywords available. Everything else is a hard sale at this point of time not only in the industry, but as a whole.

It will never be "the new .COM"

•••
•••
There's only one pie so it's gotta hurt a bit but ngtld's have such a tiny piece of it that it's hardly noticeable.

If it weren't for defensive registrations they'd have gone under by now.

•••
There's only one pie so it's gotta hurt a bit but ngtld's have such a tiny piece of it that it's hardly noticeable.

If it weren't for defensive registrations they'd have gone under by now.

Plus - https://ntldstats.com/country

46.93% China.

22.97% Whois Proxy (unknown registrant) so some might be Chinese, so let's say about half from just 1 country.

•••
It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works.

Yet
"For the second week in a row, there is not a single startup on the list this week that decided to use a new domain name extension."

http://dngeek.com/2017/06/moneytap-com-make-tv-lanla-com/

A no here too.

"atinc, post: 6227419, member: 995955"Now whenever I see a post against gTLDs I do the background check.

Exactly. Thread starter's business is new gtld consulting. You advice other domainers to buy new gtlds, even tho you've never sold one.

Now, there are some who invest in these and it's just buy at x, sell more than x. Normal domaining stuff but they don't go off the deep end and say some of the stuff posted in this thread and others. Next .com, pretend startups are just eating these up, not selling any, losing money on them, ridiculous comparisons, like the thread starter in another thread with cars and horses, PCs. So with the second group, expect to get challenged if you continually post nonsense.

Last edited:
•••
Of course, that's all well and good, but yourname.com has to be available and if available, not be cost prohibitive to purchase! If it's not available, or priced too high on the resale market, yourname.newgTLD will most likely work just as well at a fraction of the cost. But that's not even what we are talking about. These threads are consistently overrun with new gTLD haters, using these same old arguments that are not even pertinent to the question being asked!

Only @Casey L. answered the question in his opinion.

The same old arguments are made in every one of these threads. We all know most end users, would prefer to have their preferred domain name in .com. That's not what this thread is about!

It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works. And because of these factors it's only natural that the more end users opt for a new gTLD the less .com's will be sold on the aftermarket. It's Economics 101! Supply and Demand. There is an over supply of quality names on the market now because of the new gTLD program, therefore placing price and volume pressure on the aftermarket for .com's. But this may not apply to you, and if it doesn't congratulations, you're doing better than most.

There is over 1,100 new gTLD's and counting! And yes, we know some are not good, some will not last, some are good, and a few are great. They are ALL not going away. Most are likely, here to stay, forever and will eventually be as common as your beloved .com. The new gTLD haters love to group all 1,100 new gTLD's in the same boat! Nothing could be more ridiculous than that! And so if your answer to the question @guillon asks is, "No, the overabundance and availability of new gTLD's is not hurting my .com sales!", then state so and move on, without the "I hate new gTLD diatribes" that have become a running theme in every new gTLD thread on NamePros! It's getting old guys!

Put your business owner hat on now. I am going to explain why I would rather have a different .com then a different TLD.

You own ABCWidgets. You want to have ABCwidgets.com, but unfortunately it is registered. As per your suggestions, I would get ABCWidgets.Pro/Org/whatever, or hack it to ABC.Widgets.

As a Business owner. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I am going to take a second tier TLD.... why?

I am talking to MR. Prospect.... at some point Mr. Prospect is going to search for my company... he is going to go to google and search for ABC Widgets, where my TLD may appear or not, or more than likely, he is FIRST going to go to ABCWidgets.com.... MY COMPETITION.

To prevent that, I would need to tell Mr Prospect not to go to .com but to go to .xyz. In either case, having ANYTHING but .com is competition. Especially when the top tier TLDs are taken up by your competittors.

What Mr. Business owner would and should do is get a different domain where he owns .com, and can register .net/.org just to lock out his competitors.

Anyone here still go to O.co? Nope, I go to Overstock.com.

•••
Put your business owner hat on now. I am going to explain why I would rather have a different .com then a different TLD.

You own ABCWidgets. You want to have ABCwidgets.com, but unfortunately it is registered. As per your suggestions, I would get ABCWidgets.Pro/Org/whatever, or hack it to ABC.Widgets.

As a Business owner. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I am going to take a second tier TLD.... why?

I am talking to MR. Prospect.... at some point Mr. Prospect is going to search for my company... he is going to go to google and search for ABC Widgets, where my TLD may appear or not, or more than likely, he is FIRST going to go to ABCWidgets.com.... MY COMPETITION.

To prevent that, I would need to tell Mr Prospect not to go to .com but to go to .xyz. In either case, having ANYTHING but .com is competition. Especially when the top tier TLDs are taken up by your competittors.

What Mr. Business owner would and should do is get a different domain where he owns .com, and can register .net/.org just to lock out his competitors.

Anyone here still go to O.co? Nope, I go to Overstock.com.
I have the business hat on. - Let`s start...

my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

Most folks do not know that it is a website and I have to explain with www.2a.media

And of course, I am trying to acquire 2amedia.com.... because let's be honest....

I think .media is really good for branding your main corporation. and it shouldn`t be so hard to type www.2A.Media - It looks like an innovative company behind the domain but for google ranking you need to work on SEO and Content.

If you don`t own the 2Amedia.com than this is the best option you have to own.

Apparently .com version is owned by an asian company and it is active.

I wouldn`t register a trademark where the dot com is taken but I may register it if I have 2A.Media option.

Last edited:
•••

Most people commenting on gTLD threads usually do it when they feel the advice given is plain wrong.

In any case, this may be an eye opener to some:
http://onlinedomain.com/2016/10/17/...gtld-registrations-except-regional-new-gtlds/

If new gTLDs don't affect legacy TLDs such as .com then why would .com investors hate them? We don't hate them. We just don't like when they are constantly hyped.

•••
You already said it all in the other thread. Continue buying new gtlds and not selling. Great plan.

look up the word "sarcasm " in dictionary , you will understand

•••
guys, all these .com owners are here to make sure we save money and invest in .com only from kindness of their hearts they are super worried about us, and they never think about their own business interest ,wow, thank you guys , dont know what to say, I restore my faith in humanity

Am I sensing sarcasm... ;)

First off, let's dispense with this whole ridiculous dot-com "conspiracy" theory that .com boosters are trying to keep you guys down... As a District Attorney friend of mine used to say to the jury during his closing arguments - after the criminal defendant claimed "police conspiracy - "I don't know about you guys, but my friends have trouble putting together a 'conspiracy' just to decide where to go to dinner!"

Honestly, a lot of us guys that are dot-com boosters really are just trying to share our hard-won wisdom. Many of us have been down the same path you're on with new gTLD's... (Personally, I lost a boatload of cash on dot-mobi, and the "use case" for that extension was far more powerful than that for new gTLDs... Mobi was supposed to be the default extension for all mobile devices... yeah, that worked out...:() I still remember how betrayed I felt when the whole thing went belly up...

Point being, many of us have seen the gTLD hype machine before... This is nothing new... Been there, done that... There are some unscrupulous registries out there that exist just to "mine the miners," and take advantage of new domain investors... In any event, time will tell and the market will be the ultimate arbiter of success... (And so far, if the latest drop figures and DNjournal sales figures are to be believed, Mr. Market doesn't seem terribly impressed...) In any event, GL to all!

Last edited:
•••
I have sold 96 (might have missed a few ones) new gTLDs until today.

2017 has been slower for me but I am kind of confident. I am also investing about the same amounts in .com.

However, I think domaining is hurt in a way. All these extensions are causing inflation. For the big players in .com, I think it will not change. M. Mann is selling names like never before as far as I have seen. Just an example.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back