IT.COM

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If we put it purely on a monetary basis, a domainer outperforms a typical end-user.

Domainer : 10-100 x reg.fee (ie. 10-100 domains x 1 year)
End-user : 3-10 reg.fee (ie. 1 domain x 3-10 years)

A registry would want the reg volume of a domainer and the renewal consistency of an end user :)

the new registries prefer end-users and noob speculators.

•••
•••
And let's be honest, the only reason you're posting this in Domain Industry News and not in the dedicated New gTLDs section is to GET EXPOSURE for your agenda (i.e. like a snake oil salesman).

•••
It actually hurts those who buy the snake oil...

I had few sales where a business started/moved/rebranded to name.newgtld because they fell for the sale pitch only in 1-2-3 years to discover that they are wasting some of the efforts and budgets because of not having THE DEFAULT extension

You go with Yourname.Global for example, and when someone sees it they have no clue if it is even a domain, while Yourname.COM is perceived as a domain, even when that is your brand and people assume that the website also exists. Moreover, when your sign says YOURNAME people will assume website is at Yourname.com (or Yourname.cctld in uk, de, nl, ru etc.).
You need to define www. before a new gTLD domain than the problem solved.

When dot com established people were strictly typing www. before the dot com so they would know they were connecting to the World Wide Web..

I guess that is not a rocket science to understand that www.New.Gtld is a website.

•••
i think it hurt the; org, net, info, pro, etc - if anything

•••
•••
Interesting how you ALWAYS jump at any oppurtunity to bash nGTLD's.... check out all the nGTLD threads, you are ALWAYS there and often it's you and a few other of the same people bashing them...lol

According to you nGTLD's are basically pigeonsh*t..why then do you have such an obsession with pigeon sh*t? Kinda seems more like you trying to convince as many people as you can to follow your narrative...

Whatever the case... it's getting old.

Interesting most of the times you don't actually address what I post, instead you have a fit. It's not new tech, most startups aren't touching them. If you want to address those points, that's what a discussion forum is for. Look at the title of this thread, my posts are relevant to the discussion. Also, you can simply hit the ignore link and you won't see my posts anymore, feel free to use that.

Last edited:
•••
i'm not a hater of the new extensions, but i don't see them as a great investment either - too much risk vs reward and the new extensions are designed and priced with the enduser (not domainers) in mind.

1. Most of the great names are either reserved by the register or priced so high it doesn't make sense to hold the name for 5 - 10 years waiting for an enduser. The registers want to sell the premium names themselves and collect the premium renewal fee's (very smart on their part)

2. Way too many extensions and alternative choices. The value in a domain name is in its use and the rarity factor. One would have to buy up all the extensions to control and hold a monopoly on a particular name or phrase.

3. It will take many more years until the mass population know and trust the new extensions. waiting with renewals can get very expensive.

4. There is still the possibility some of these new extension will fail... then what?

•••
The launch of new gTLD's as greatly affected the domain aftermarket, with more than 20 years of maturity the aftermarket as experienced something akin to a reset.

Not since the 90's have I ever witnessed such a 'Fickle' aftermarket, in fact the level of uncertainty revolving around new gTLD's as lead to even the most experienced domainers confused about future investments.

•••
Are new gTLDs hurting ".COM" investors' business?

To some extent, the answer is undeniable yes, the question is to what extent.

New gTLDs have opened up more options to end-users that prior would have been forced into buying the .COM, .ORG or .NET. Now sales data clearly tells us that .COM is and will continue to be the most desired extention for end-users, however, there is always going to be that X% of end users that are happy to launch on a gTLD, meaning there is that X% of .COM investors that lose out on a sale initially. Now, people will argue this only makes the .COM worth more, however, that is only true if the company desires the .COM, there will be many companies that are happy to keep their gTLD and invest money elsewhere and that .COM holder will miss out on sale they would have had if gTLDS were non-existent.

Although data shows that gTLD effects on .COM are very minor, more extension options do mean that a small percentage of .COM holders will lose out on sales, that is undeniable.

People, you and i should not care whether it is .COM or a gTLD, at the end of the day we should care about ROI and whether you accept it or not there is opportunity in all extentions, admittedly not equal opportunity but oppourtunity none the less.

•••
New gTLDs have opened up more options to end-users that prior would have been forced into buying the .COM, .ORG or .NET.
But end users already had plenty of options before, like alt TLDs such as .biz or ccTLDs - repurposed or not. .io or .ws suck but they are no worse than many of the nTLDs we are seeing today.
And it's not so easy to buy good keywords in nTLDs, as many were either reserved by the registries or scooped up by speculators. The end user is often back to square one, having to pay a premium for a 'good' domain. It's no wonder the registries are the power sellers in this business.

Now sales data clearly tells us that .COM is and will continue to be the most desired extention for end-users, however, there is always going to be that X% of end users that are happy to launch on a gTLD, meaning there is that X% of .COM investors that lose out on a sale initially.
I don't think .com owners are losing out. If somebody wants to buy a domain for regfee and goes for a nTLD or some available domain of lower quality, it's not business lost to domainers anyway. They had no intention of buying on the aftermarket. Remember, they always have alternatives.
.com owners could lose a sale when there is a huge gap between their asking price and the alternatives available on the market. It could mean the pricing is out of touch with reality, or that it's not the right end user for the domain.
End users ultimately decide what is the best deal for them.

Now do you think that: new gTLDs are hurting new gTLDs investors' business ? I would say they are :)

•••
Dot Com lost about $120,000 of my USD, because I invested them in new gTLD.
I don't have .horse domain, and I have only one .xyz - USA.XYZ

Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

- Yes! Sorry!

p.s. I'm End user.
Wow, what an investment in new gtlds that is. By the way, I've got these amazing air guitars just in, I'll do you a cracking deal. Let me know.

•••
I believe new TLDs are hurting average .COM domains because the largest consumers of domain names are domain investors.
I am not sure that this is the case. Most of .COM is businesses registering their domain name in the TLD and also their local ccTLD where possible. There is a speculative element to .COM and it, along with discounting, has brought the renewal rate on new registrations down to approximately 55% from a high of about 74%.

The biggest temporary impact of new gTLDs would have been to non-core gTLDs (NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA) where speculative registrations were high. The high prices, in comparison to .COM, of the new gTLDs almost flatlined some new gTLDs in their land rush periods. The .COM is still a bluechip TLD and is likely to remain so for a while yet. The .NET has been on a downward trend for some years as have .ORG and .BIZ. The .INFO has been a boom and bust gTLD and is almost .XYZ's big brother.

The problem with looking at a TLD through a domaining lens is that it misses the wider trends in a TLD. There has been a .COM/.ccTLD consolidation over the past few years that has been largely missed by domainers. In country level markets, registrations in the local ccTLDs have been, typically, overtaking .COM registrations. At a global level, .COM is continuing to grow but the roots of its market are changing in a way that will eventually filter through to the global .COM market.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Actually, the registries would prefer non-domainer registrations. It sounds odd but non-domainer registrations tend to renew and keep renewing. At the worst, some madly speculative registrations from newbie domainers and domainers who should know better tend to be one year wonders. They provide shortterm regfees but nothing else. The majority of these domain names don't get reregistered either. In order to have a sustainable business, a registry needs to build a core market of registrations that keep getting renewed. If it does not, it gets stuck in a boom and bust cycle like .XYZ or .INFO and ends up being dependent on one year registrations and promotions to survive.

Regards...jmcc

Sure they prefer end-users , but an end user will reg 1 domain, while the domainer will reg 100.....

•••
Sure they prefer end-users , but an end user will reg 1 domain, while the domainer will reg 100.....
A domainer will register 100 domains, probably drop all of them because the gTLD turns out not to have the same kind of sales opportunities as .COM and then move on to the next big thing and register 100 more domains. A registry needs repeat business and while domainers can give a boost to a new gTLD, too much speculation and too little development will kill a new TLD. Getting the balance right, at registry level, is difficult.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Plus - https://ntldstats.com/country

46.93% China.

22.97% Whois Proxy (unknown registrant) so some might be Chinese, so let's say about half from just 1 country.

It's interesting to look at each countries top choices of which extension. For example Gibraltar has .reviews, uk has .london at top but .online and .club .xyz and many others all the way down the list of 100 to .video at 674 reg's. .horse is missing. Cook islands mostly registered in China using that countries address. France chose .XYZ 54,000 regs, Japan 93,000 XYZ versus 19,000 .tokyo . Germany has reverse with the geo 15,000 .berlin and .xyz is 1500 only. Russia chooses 169,000 .xyz versus only 14,000 .moscow. .online, .top appear in the top extensions most countries. The US adoption is 371,000 for .top more than 296,000 .xyz. .law and .lawyer have under 7,000 each. Funny to read through all of them.

•••
Plus - https://ntldstats.com/country

46.93% China.

22.97% Whois Proxy (unknown registrant) so some might be Chinese, so let's say about half from just 1 country.

The same old story... Stop mixing all New gTLDs into one!

But anyway it's a good point, which I noticed two years ago, and that's why 90% of my domains are...
.Life .World etc...

1.png

2.png

namestat.org

•••
•••

That maybe true but it's all relative.

If you adopted the above saying when you were a little kid just learning how to walk.. you would fallen down ONCE...and then spent the rest of your life crawling cos you would remember the past when you fell down and wouldn't want to be condemned to repeat it.

Progress doesn't happen from doing the same thing over and over again just because it works, progress happens when a people challange the status quo.

The old saying "if it aint broken, don't fix it" is the kind of thinking that retards progress. We would all still be using Windows 98 if that was the case...

•••
Let's say I have a limited space on my billboard, card, ad etc.

Now let's compare:

YOURNAME.com

www.YOURNAME.global

Same width, much better visibility.

And you could just right YOURNAME and people would infer your domain by just adding .com themselves.
The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

Great example.

•••
No, did not mean where the extension is type of the name. Those are even more confusing.

RECONS .com

www. RECONS .global
www. RECONS .online

This is the whole point that many nonGTLD investors have been missing and the same point that many nGTLD fans have been saying over and over again.. the right side of the dot has to match the left side of the dot.

•••
Your example is highly flawed...

Look at at the domain in my signature... Consulting.Global

The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

www.Consulting.Global
ConsultingGlobal.com

When people become more familiar with nGTLD's then we can drop the www and it will just be Consulting.Global - with the com, thats as short as it's ever going to get.

thank you for your example.... 99% of my non domaining friends/family/forum members would not know what Consulting.Global IS!

You would NEED www.consulting.global and then you would have questions about .global, and you explain that, and then they go.

When I see Consulting.Global, I would easily first assume you messed up and put a . in there by typo.

The only ones that have hope are Consulting.net, .org, .co, .co, .pro, a few CCTLDs.

But a tld that is MORE than 3 chars is business suicide.... at least for the foreseeable future.

Look, I like some tlds, I even have my first name in .me, .im, I own a few specific .photos and .pics, and my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

Most folks do not know that it is a website and I have to explain with www.2a.media

And of course, I am trying to acquire 2amedia.com.... because let's be honest....

•••
.horse is a joke as always the worst case example.

Ok, but .Center. close to .Horse imho.
.store and .tours you maybe might sell in a few years. I hope you do sell them and retire comfortably. You just need to get on the phone to sell them.

Ok, I appreciate your view on .center , I own one which is Brake.Center and I do like it. It is actually a fellow member`s favorite on my portfolio. :)

That`s right, You need to get in to an action to sell your assets. You need to contact the right person at the company. Sales needs attention and care and always a good research - sourcing too!

Thank you for your best wishes.

I am not looking to retire any time soon I really enjoy doing this (y)

•••
thank you for your example.... 99% of my non domaining friends/family/forum members would not know what Consulting.Global IS!

You would NEED www.consulting.global and then you would have questions about .global, and you explain that, and then they go.

When I see Consulting.Global, I would easily first assume you messed up and put a . in there by typo.

The only ones that have hope are Consulting.net, .org, .co, .co, .pro, a few CCTLDs.

But a tld that is MORE than 3 chars is business suicide.... at least for the foreseeable future.

Look, I like some tlds, I even have my first name in .me, .im, I own a few specific .photos and .pics, and my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

Most folks do not know that it is a website and I have to explain with www.2a.media

And of course, I am trying to acquire 2amedia.com.... because let's be honest....

Thats interesting... cos I'm in South Africa and folks here are generally a little behind when it comes to technology, especially internet related tech. I often play around and test the water with public awareness with friends and family and even strangers... I would say that around here it's not a case that 99% of them not knowing... it's more like 60% of them don't know and 40% of them know immediatley it's a URL. (I test with .global, .online and .club...mainly)

Also, for the record...I have turned down 2 seperate low $xxxx offers on Consulting.Global

Last edited:
•••
Outside of United States it would be easier... because you guys are used to CCTlds.... and weird ones like .com.uk er .uk.com

In the States... Nope.

My primary gig is Financial Services and Investment Advisory, I have YET to see anyone with an email ending in anything but .com or .org. And only saw one .pro in an unrelated business.

Lol.. really.... We are used to ccTLD's? Not sure how often you travel to South Africa or how many South African friends you have but they have been lying to you if thats what they have been telling you.

Our ccTLD is co.za not sure what "wierd" ones you are talking about. Apart from co.za.. .com . net are also very popular here

As far as Americans are concerend...I run an online marketing company and all my clients are US anf UK based. They dont seem to have any problems identifying a URL when it has a nGTLD extention.... the last time I was in the US was 2014, I do recall seeing 2 different .global domain being used at the SEMA car show. It was the same year .global had launched and I took notice of it because I found it interesting...

Last edited:
•••

Popular this week

• The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back