Dynadot

discuss Are gTLDs affecting .Com price and growth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I think there is a decline in demand and price of .com domains because of new gTLDs. What's your opinion ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you provide the links, your source for that information, I'm interested in what they're using.

•••
I have checked some local statistics...and I don't count facebook and the others, because they are US based, not italian or german. I'm talking about local businesses and websites using .com

If facebook and twitter are popular in some countries, they are using .com all over the world, so you can't count them as local.
In your link there are just 3 local using com and one ngtlds

•••
In your link there are just 3 local using com and one ngtlds

Links to this. You said check the top 100, I can't if I don't have a link.

So, check top 100 italian websites and you will see around 7-8 using com in top 100 and they are not any way close to the top. I can tell you for sure than in Romania is just 1, in Austria I could find 3 com and one net, in Belgium 1 in top 50, in Germany 1 in top 50, in France 5 in the first 50....and in US just .com and 3-4 org's....so the difference will even higher when you check top 1000 or top 100.000 because the companies are smaller are tend to choose even more the local option.

Last edited:
•••
Can you provide the links, your source for that information, I'm interested in what they're using.
I was using google translate for some but you can use similarweb, it should be pretty accurate. According to similarweb, there are 3 italian webistes in top 50 using .com and one ngtlds
According to Alexa I can't see any italian website using com

•••
I was using google translate for some but you can use similarweb, it should be pretty accurate. According to similarweb, there are 3 italian webistes in top 50 using .com and one ngtlds
According to Alexa I can't see any italian website using com

It just goes to show what lots of people have been saying. .com and cctlds rule.

Based on this - https://ntldstats.com/country

doesn't seem like much uptake with those European countries with the new gtlds. Then, most are probably domainers. Remove China, lose almost half of all the registrations.

Last edited:
•••
It just goes to show what lots of people have been saying. .com and cctlds rule.

Based on this - https://ntldstats.com/country

doesn't seem like much uptake with those European countries. Remove China, lose almost half of all the registrations.

How can it be .com rule when you have 3-5 .com used bu local companies in top 100 in most countries, in some even 1 in top 100, that can't be .com rule, it's just cctld rule
Regarding China, if you count that they have 3 times more internet users than US and that in 10 years they GDP will be double than the US one and will have 5 times more internet users, I don't think that you can remove China, if you want to have the big picture. Also, I'm saying that small companies in Europe are more open to use ngtlds than .com( I've explained earlier why) and if you put the two pictures together and add a few more, you will have the big picture.
I'm sure that they will go mainstream in Europe, China and most of Asia in a few years, the question is what US will do then and how the big picture will look like. Also, the question is when is the right time to buy to have a good ROI, because I think it's to early for them, probably in two-three years will be the best time to buy, but by then the best one's will be gone if the early investors can hold on them.

Last edited:
•••
How can it be .com rule when you have 3-5 .com used bu local companies in top 100 in most countries, in some even 1 in top 100, that can't be .com rule, it's just cctld rule
Regarding China, if you count that they have 3 times more internet users than US and that in 10 years they GDP will be double than the US one and will have 5 times more internet users, I don't think that you can remove China, if you want to have the big picture. Also, I'm saying that small companies in Europe are more open to use ngtlds than .com( I've explained earlier why) and if you put the two pictures together and add a few more, you will have the big picture.
I'm sure that they will go mainstream in Europe, China and most of Asia in a few years, the question is what US will do then and how the big picture will look like. Also, the question is when is the right time to buy to have a good ROI, because I think it's to early for them, probably in two-three years will be the best time to buy, but by then the best one's will be gone if the early investors can hold on them.

Because half the top sites being visited by Italians are .com. Italian companies go for their cctld. Not seeing new gtlds in the mix. Most of these new gtlds are English words as well. How does that play when getting keywords to the left of the dot in D?

"but by then the best one's will be gone if the early investors can hold on them."

Already gone.

Last edited:
•••
So, check top 100 italian websites and you will see around 7-8 using com in top 100 and they are not any way close to the top

yes they are as I said the second choice not the third after .eu as you suggested. I never said it was highly popular. They are however not viewed as strictlly US extension as many local businesses do use them. I don't know why you think they are viewed as US extension.

I think .com are viewed as global as Twitter, FB etc.

When I look for "shoes" in italian one of the top results is : scarpescarpestore.com which is an italian site. There are many other examples of this.

Last edited:
•••
yes they are as I said the second choice not the third after .eu as you suggested. I never said it was highly popular. They are however not viewed as strictlly US extension as many local businesses do use them.
So I visited Rome a few months ago, I don't think that anything changed in the meantime. If you want to order a pizza, all are using 'it, hotels have 'it and 'com a well, but they are mostly for tourists, I have dealed with some of them buying something to sell in other EU country, they were using just .it, even do they were doing business all over Europe.

•••
So I visited Rome a few months ago, I don't think that anything changed in the meantime. If you want to order a pizza, all are using 'it, hotels have 'it and 'com a well, but they are mostly for tourists, I have dealed with some of them buying something to sell in other EU country, they were using just .it, even do they were doing business all over Europe.

Yes as I said. ccTLD dominate in many countries (DE, IT,FR) but .com or .net is used as a second choice when they don't use a ccTLD.

•••
China is usually using .com, or .cn. Not much different than from the US. Not sure about Japan but I would guess it is like in China.
I have studied Top 100 Internet Companies and Top 300 New Internet Companies in China and published on my website. com is King in corporate China. For my latest study, please read "Analysis: next generation companies in China still prefer .com" https://domainnamewire.com/2017/09/18/analysis-next-generation-companies-china-still-prefer-com/

Regarding Japan, it is still in the search box era. While most companies use .jp the extension is not highly valued thanks to Yahoo and Google searches. Even .shop CEO spends most of his time promoting .shop in China instead of his native land of Japan.

•••
Because half the top sites being visited by Italians are .com. Italian companies go for their cctld. Not seeing new gtlds in the mix. Most of these new gtlds are English words as well. How does that play when getting keywords to the left of the dot in D?

"but by then the best one's will be gone if the early investors can hold on them."

Already gone.
How come big companies like:
subito.it

repubblica.it

libero.it

corriere.it

tim.it

ilmeteo.it

mediaset.it

gazzetta.it

poste.it

diretta.it

they don't use .com for they businesses, you realy think that they can't afford? It's just the way it is, europeans are not very tied to .com ....just if it's a .com, and they will say' yes, an american website'. It is like this for 20 years and it will be hard to change their mind regarding .com, mostly they are buying it just for defense, but not to be the main website.

•••
subito.it

repubblica.it

libero.it

corriere.it

tim.it

ilmeteo.it

mediaset.it

gazzetta.it

poste.it

diretta.it

they don't use .com for they businesses, you realy think that they can't afford? It's just the way it is, europeans are not very tied to .com ....just if it's a .com, and they will say' yes, an american website'. It is like this for 20 years and it will be hard to change their mind regarding .com, mostly they are buying it just for defense, but not to be the main website.

And I don't see one English word in the bunch (exception maybe mediaset), but they'll use English new gtlds? And it goes to what I posted earlier, about cctlds ruling, along with .com

•••
I have studied Top 100 Internet Companies and Top 300 New Internet Companies in China and published on my website. com is King in corporate China. For my latest study, please read "Analysis: next generation companies in China still prefer .com" https://domainnamewire.com/2017/09/18/analysis-next-generation-companies-china-still-prefer-com/

Regarding Japan, it is still in the search box era. While most companies use .jp the extension is not highly valued thanks to Yahoo and Google searches. Even .shop CEO spends most of his time promoting .shop in China instead of his native land of Japan.

you wrote you think the future will be .cn in China because of local requirements. So you think the market will shift to .cn?

•••
Yes as I said. ccTLD dominate in many countries (DE, IT,FR) but .com or .net is used as a second choice when they don't use a ccTLD.
With 3 local websites out of 100 using .com, which is 30 years old and 1 using a ngtld (.uno) , which is a few years old, uou can say it's the secon choice, it'a just an outsider, with used by 3% of the top companies.

•••
subito.it

repubblica.it

libero.it

corriere.it

tim.it

ilmeteo.it

mediaset.it

gazzetta.it

poste.it

diretta.it

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said .com is popular in Italy I said it is the choice when they don't use .it, that and .net or .org

I can show you many examples of italian sites under .com

With 3 local websites out of 100 using .com, which is 30 years old and 1 using a ngtld (.uno) , which is a few years old, uou can say it's the secon choice, it'a just an outsider, with used by 3% of the top companies

maybe you take a larger sample? Not true of course that uno is second choice.

Also uno means 'one' in italian. Most new TLDs don't mean anything in italian.

Last edited:
•••
And I don't see one English word in the bunch (exception maybe mediaset), but they'll use English new gtlds? And it goes to what I posted earlier, about cctlds ruling, along with .com
Yes, they use already one, .uno and there are lot's more which are used by smaller companies, like .shop, .online, .srl

•••
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said .com is popular in Italy I said it is the choice when they don't use .it, that and .net or .org

They could be 'many', but still just 2,3,5% of the total, so not really a contender...and it's the same all over Europe. Probably you could say something the same about .info or .biz in some countries, used by 1-2% of the websites, but nobody will say that they are the second choice.

•••
They could be 'many', but still just 2,3,5% of the total, so not really a contender...and it's the same all over Europe. Probably you could say something the same about .info or .biz in some countries, used by 1-2% of the websites, but nobody will say that they are the second choice.

second choice is the second most used TLD or the second TLD most likely to have the highest sales value/potential

Does not mean it is popular.

•••

maybe you take a larger sample? Not true of course that uno is second choice.

Also uno means 'one' in italian. Most new TLDs don't mean anything in italian.
Yes, but it's not the only .uno used and there are some .srl as well when you take a larger sample.

•••
you wrote you think the future will be .cn in China because of local requirements. So you think the market will shift to .cn?
I see .com remain as King for a long time -- in terms of value. .cn has already surpassed .com in terms of number in China. As the Chinese government want tight control of data as well as data publishers, .cn will likely become the preferred choice within China, with .com placed outside China to serve the rest of the world. This is only my guess as it is still not clear at this stage. Looking at a bigger picture, I think more and more governments in the world will impose local presence requirement of domain name and contents, thus encouraging demand for country extensions, but .com will still be in high demand in order to serve the global audience.

One more point: if the largest two economies in the world prefer .com, I don't see how this status of .com can be challenged.

Last edited:
•••
second choice is the second most used TLD or the second TLD most likely to have the highest sales value/potential

Does not mean it is popular.
You're right, but having just 2-3% of the market and with the ngtlds like uno, srl and a few others probably will replace quicker than in some other countries the market share of .com

•••
Yes, but it's not the only .uno used and there are some .srl as well when you take a larger sample.

you simply ignore that there is a fair number of italian sites under .com always have been.

when I search for avvocato "lawyer" I get many italian lawyers under .com for example.

I don't know what you are searching for but it is really obvious.

•••
I see .com remain as King for a long time -- in terms of value. .cn has already surpassed .com in terms of number in China. As the Chinese government want tight control of data as well as data publishers, .cn will likely become the preferred choice within China, with .com placed outside China to serve the rest of the world. This is only my guess as it is still not clear at this stage. Looking at a bigger picture, I think more and more governments in the world will impose local presence of domain name and contents, thus encouraging demand for country extensions, but .com will still be in high demand in order to serve the global audience.
I think you're right about government imposing local presents and trying to have a say when it's come to jurisdiction, they are not happy for somebody else to control everything. There is a law which will be proposed at Brussels to limit Visa usage in Europe and replace it with something EU based( I could not find the link). Also, there are a lot of talks about imposing strict rules to google, amazon and the other big guys and shift the businesses to european companies, because of US government controlling any data related to european citizens, so it's a trend everywhere.

•••
you simply ignore that there is a fair number of italian sites under .com always have been.

when I search for avvocato "lawyer" I get many italian lawyers under .com for example.

I don't know what you are searching for but it is really obvious.
I've just searched avvocato, there are 3 local companies using com in the first 40 results and two Us websites, one data base related and some US lawyers who are active in Italy, so not a big difference.

And probably they are a little bit higher percentage, 7-8% in the first pages because there are some big companies, who have offices in US and other english speaking countries, this dot not mean anything. If you will try to do the same for the first 100 pages or more, I'm sure that the percentage will be much lower.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back