IT.COM

domains Are European domainers going to start getting shunned?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
As we get closer to GDPR being official more and more reactions and questions come in. I noticed today that Theo at DomainGang.com is going to block Europe from accessing his blog. Someone told me I should do that two weeks ago. I had a couple readers express their desire to ban Europeans from making offers on or buying their domain names. One reader came from a place of worry and the other a place … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you really think those people block Wikipedia are most advanced people? If you think like this I can say it is more than funny and ridiculous.
Dude, first, your own English (specifically in this comment) is not fully comprehensible. I don't get your first sentence.

Most probably you are from a non developed country and you wonder what is online! And what is called progress. Could I know as per your imagination what is called advance in any field?
Can you give any example in which field English speaking world is backward?
If you cannot give, you are a troll. Period.
That's a non sequitur. English speaking countries are not backward does not mean other countries are backward. AND, more importantly, it isn't necessarily because of the language itself! Unfortunately, the English language spread due to the imperialist moves of the British Empire. That, by itself, does not mean English was the cause of the advancement of the countries where English is popular. IIRC, someone earlier argued that India has one of the largest English speaking (at least passable English). By your argument, India should, then, be one of the most advanced countries in the world. Why not "backward", it isn't advanced by any stretch. Neither economically, nor scientifically or otherwise (Corruption and religious fervor don't count :P ). So your point (quoting again below) is more ridiculous than it is anything else!

English speaking people are most advanced people on earth

Last edited:
•••
•••

That post contradicts itself. It has 100% True in the article and in your link to the article, then you said it was Fictional.

Oh, you were talking about something else, my bad. Read that wrong.

But we should go ahead and invade Europe.

Last edited:
•••
•••
you've said that line before somewhere Frank - Don't under estimate British resolve :)

yes I know
I go out on a limb

•••
China has already done it, as their population is isolated behind the Great Firewall of China.

You don’t have to be a genius see what would happen to domain values and the .COM paradigm if the universal Internet gets thrown out and replaced by the kind of region-by-region market fragmentation

China is segregated, and .COM values are doing just fine.

Add the EU to the list, because they should have stopped with the "right to be forgotten" and the idiotic "cookie notifications". Now we all have to suffer under GDPR.

Just like television, let them have their laws that only apply to them in their region instead of having the whole world suffer because they are stuck in 2005, scared to death to use eBay and enter their credit card information.

What's next? Permission checks every time you want to connect a device to the internet to regulate what is being connected? Oy!

•••
•••
es, we all idiots in Europa :xf.grin:

You are under the impression

I can shut down both of your arguments with one word.

BREXIT.

Any union that would allow that to happen is bound to foul up anything they have a say in, including the internet. Please feel free to continue to pat each other on the backs while the ship sinks. Good day bros.

•••
•••
So all Europa got free privacy on their domains? lol..
this is gonna hit badly on Europa market, soon there will be no Europa..

Yup, we are finished :)

BREXIT - don't worry people, the UK doesn't go anywhere, they are now like bride first wedding night :)

US - from my point of view US is very successful lately to isolate themselves from rest of the world, China, EU... and they will continue to do that

I am not sure how that going to make the US great again, I just don't see how

Btw. somebody interested in - TheEndAmerica in King of course? :)

•••
Did you know for example that the EU has free-trade agreements with over 50 countries and that the UK is going to lose the benefit of those agreements, and will have to renegotiate everything, on its own (read: with dramatically diminished leverage)
And the US isn't causing disruption through its own regulation frenzy ? You clearly don't seem to be on top of news.

I read this as UK wanted to reshuffle his cards by sitting on negotiation table with all over world.. It can turn good or bad, depends on negotiation skills. In the beginning it may sounds like loosing benefits however being independent from Brussel would increase agility to move forward. Anyway it will be clear in future.

As for the GDPR, sure some things are annoying but when you look at the big picture it's good that they acknowledge privacy is something to be taken seriously.

Do I agree with everything thats in it? Ofcourse not. I'm not a big fan of the whois going 'dark'. But it's not the GDPR to blame. Some ccTLDs have great working alternatives that could have been implemented long ago on a global scale.

Sure privacy is important, but they can always buy privacy to cover info or remove their data from unwanted websites. However, regulation will lead now to big burden on businesses within EU and also outside EU.. Basically this is data protectionism not good in business world.

•••
People are banning the European Union not all of Europe. EU has about 511 million inhabitants not 750 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_European_Union

All people will do whatever they see as right, some will take the laws of another country forced on them and others will say no thanks. Been going on long before this.

Blocking 500 Million Users Is Easier Than Complying With Europe’s New Rules

" The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union and the European Economic Area "

Anyway, like I said it will help us choose between serious business and non serious business.

There are guidelines on how to comply and as someone has said companies had 4 years to put this in practice; if they haven't it means they don't care about European customers, visitors and their privacy.

It is much easier than what US companies portray; even the new versions of WP have tools inbuilt that do 90% of the job.

•••
If you support the GDPR, you're shooting your own foot as domain investors.

I don't think anyone in this business would support GDPR, but we won't just quit, or cut off from the rest of the world.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my decision.

Perhaps, we would expect just a little more from reputable member offering news for domain community. Members from EU are part of this community too.

Last edited:
•••
This is why the UK is leaving European Union because of crap like this

It is actually bad. UK can handle them by providing light to them. Now Europe is a run by real idiots.

If the reply looks rude? Please look how much their vision blocked and become frustrated.
Example:
Without English
I dont know how those idiots will communicate with the world, but they tried.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linguistic...sh_will_not_be_an_official_eu_language_after/

European English
I dont know who will follow those idiots, but they tried.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lish-uk-leave-eu-european-union-a7957001.html

N.B. European people are well educated (also most advance education) people. I am not indicating general people of Europe.

Last edited:
•••
I made a business decision, based on the poorly defined terms that the GDPR is based on.

I didn't call you, or any other European 'crazy' or stupid - but those politicians who made the decision on your behalf to create a law that extends far beyond the European Union realm, are definitely dangerous, and not just to the non-Europeans.

Today, I published an article from a Spanish publication, that shows exactly how corrupt the GDPR infrastructure is. Since DG blocks you, here's the original in Spanish: https://www.elconfidencial.com/tecn...s-fraude-multas-millonarias-abogados_1569093/

You can easily translate it using Google Translate.

As I explained, I blocked off 10% on average of my annual traffic. Faithful readers can easily circumvent the block. As you're not a content provider, I do not expect you to understand or agree with why I did it. If you feel defensive about it, read again the reasons behind my decision. I had to read 450 emails because of the GDPR junk.

I'm Spanish and I know El Confidencial, no need for Google Translate :xf.wink:

Sorry if my post mixed things. I was not speaking about you when I mentioned insulting posts. But there are a couple of posts in this thread which do speak about the whole EU population basically as a bunch of idiots.

Again, I'm not defending GDPR. I'm just asking for a bit of calm and respect. That's all.

Edit: BTW, that El Confidencial article speaks just about lawyers scamming companies by taking advantage of the GDPR requirements, billing loads of money and doing nothing useful, or simply doing a bad job. It has more to do with lawyers tan with GDPR itself.

Last edited:
•••
Your previous post, however, focused on me, and I didn't call Europeans - of which I am one by birth - "idiots."

But the issue is larger.

At this point, a lot of European countries are re-evaluating their decision to join the Eurozone. The UK is exiting, and the reasons are political and financial.

The GDPR is a bureaucrat's wet dream: created in such vague terms with intent to shift the current economy balance between the US and Europe. If we didn't have such an incompetent government, there would have been a proper response a long time ago.

Now, as domain investors and business owners we have to face a different course in how we conduct business.

•••
You keep mentioning "respect" with regards to my decision to block 28 European countries.

No, I don't.

I mention respect regarding some of the things written in this thread. I've already stated it was not adressed specifically to you.

•••
EU likes to make out it is championing the rights of the individual but in reality laws and directives like GDPR are there to damage small businesses and sole traders. It creates legal minefields that small businesses daren't enter - but multi nationals and large organisations have resources and legal representation to carry on.

Here in the UK nobody seems to know if we can now market our domains to end users - if we get it wrong - contact the wrong person - we'll be in big trouble. The DMA helpfully put out some explanatory notes on marketing and GDPR - but this subject is so complex - and the advice so voluminous that you'll need a day or two to run thro' it all - and I'm sure a lot of big businesses will be instructing lawyers to advise them. So we'll not be marketing to end users for a while - and I'm sure many small businesses in all types of sectors will be doing the same. I voted to leave this monster and we're still tied up in red tape - Help :(

•••
I can't see what the language has to do with being global?
Try Namepros with your regional language (if your language is regional one), and allow reply using regional languages from the members of different parts of the world.

South Korea, China, Japan, Germany are disconnected from the world?
Yes people from these countries are disconnected from many source of knowledge, entertainment, info etc.

a phd doctor doing most of his work offline
They collect useful data from several source like you and me.

Also, there are huge businesses which don't need to be online, but still they have access to more info than you will ever have....
Unverified false and made up information?
So namepros is your whole world? Did you ever checked a forum in China, shared by millions of members, do you think that you are missing something there? No matter what you will do, you will miss something in another corner of the globe or in another language.

As much as they are disconnected from many sources of knowledge, the same goes the other way, it's no difference.

They collect useful data from books, research and others, not necessary online. If your only source of knowledge is from online, than you are in big trouble.

From big producers of steel to huge chains of supermarkets, from civil engineering companies to petrol companies they only have a simple presentation site and they don't need to be online to make money.

•••
South Korea, China, Japan, Germany are disconnected from the world?
Yes people from these countries are disconnected from many source of knowledge, entertainment, info etc.

As people who only speak English are also disconnected from many sources of knowledge, entertainment, info etc. It cuts both ways.

•••
I think the main target of this new law is google, yahoo, youtube, facebook, twitter and other popular sites as their business rely on free membership to their websites and displaying ads to their registered users as well as their visitors.

Even though I am a one-person small webmaster, I blocked the visitors to my websites from 28 EU member countries. When you visit my website from one those 28 countries you see a cloudflare notice saying the owner of this website blocked your country (eg, DE, UK, FR, IT, GR, NL, and so on)

Last edited:
•••
Even though I am a one-person small webmaster, I blocked the visitors to my websites from 28 EU member countries. When you visit my website from one those 28 countries you see a cloudflare notice saying the owner of this website blocked your country (eg, DE, UK, FR, IT, GR, NL, and so on)
Interested to know why...

•••
I don't know the location of the visitors. As to the registered members of some my websites, Laws don't work backward. When they signed up (created account on some of my websites that allow member registration) this law was not existed. As I blocked EU traffic, they are no longer able to sign in in to their account from a EU country. They will have use VPN to sign in, and this law will apply only to EU visitors.
I'm afraid that isn't true. If someone's data exists in your system, people have a right to access it and remove it. Simples. If they access it over a VPN, the law still stands.

Further to this, most bulletin boards automatically log IP addresses of it's visitors for logins, posts... pretty much all activities. So you do know where they came from from their IP addresses. IP Addresses are classed as identifiable or "personal" data under the law.

I'm not trying to exasperate you, but these are serious considerations. Unfortunately no one can just block the traffic and have done with it. I'm pretty sure that GDPR for the USA is *coming soon*.

No one says that you have to get this stuff correct right now, small steps towards the goal is fine. It's a new law with no legal precedents set yet and I'm sure you're not going to be the first one they go after :xf.cool:.

Last edited:
•••
No matter how many times you say it, blocking EU citizens isn't a solution and doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to protect and manage existing EU data held about your users.

Yes websites can be complicated. If you own it and run it you'll have to deal with it. Unfortunately "websites are complicated" wouldn't go down very well in the courtroom. They would want to see evidence of reasonable steps to comply.

Rather than convincing yourself and others that it is a silver bullet solution, or worrying about the unlikely event that you will be going to court over this, you ought to focus your attention on real solutions instead of lazy ones.

•••
No. Blocking Europeans is not a proportionate response.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back