NameSilo

question ARE DROPPED DOMAIN NAMES WORTHY?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mycontrepipol

Established Member
Impact
Hello,
i wonder if there is any value buying any dropped domain names, if yes/no tell me why please. thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
plenty of brandable names dropping every single day but its a risk as you don't know if that name was submitted then rejected to the major brand market places. Other than brandables, I've picked ok sounding ones b4 but mostly in other than .COM extensions.
Recent ones that i thought could have some value are:
gmos.net (google GMOS)
insurancecomparisons.info
kar98.com (the rifle)
minecraftgraphics.com (had someone contact me on this one but nothing came of it 880 exact searches per month at $3.15)
chocolategifts.org
anyway,you get the point. there is some value but if you're buying for resale you might be waiting a while to sell them. try and get as much for the discounted registrations like the godaddy 0.99c promo codes.
good luck.

•••
I think OP was talking more about hand-registering dropped domain than generically dropped domains.
Each day hundreds of valuable domain names drop and are catched by backorder services (such as namejet, snapnames, pool), then sold after private auctions (most of the time) at $$$$ , way different than hand-reg a domain for $0,99 using a GD coupon, or maybe backorder it at Dynadot or Pheenix for under $20.

•••
99% of dropped domains are crap. The 1% are fought over by all the top drop-catchers. Do you expect a noob to stand much of a chance in catching a valuable dropped domain, unless they have highly educated themselves in the drop-catching process? Of course there will be exceptions for the educated noob. But I don't think an uneducated noob is going to make much money doing this. They are much more likely to pick up one of the 99%. The odds are stacked against them making any money at this. But it is not impossible.

•••
You will find good deal of valuable names dropping in 2 words, but you also need to be sure that whether such names have value or not, end users or not and if they are worth developing or not.

So all in all, it really depends. I just ended up buying over $10k worth domains names in the drop catching in last 1 to 2 months, however, I knew I was after good names because some of them already have offers coming in at the high xxx to low xxxx range!

Good luck.

•••
in fact i am tempted to register this droppedd names because they sound really nice are estimated high and are not adsense banned but when reading to all these advices i think i better turn towards expired names with backlinks.

•••
You will find good deal of valuable names dropping in 2 words, but you also need to be sure that whether such names have value or not, end users or not and if they are worth developing or not.

So all in all, it really depends. I just ended up buying over $10k worth domains names in the drop catching in last 1 to 2 months, however, I knew I was after good names because some of them already have offers coming in at the high xxx to low xxxx range!

Good luck.

Yeah! But do you think a noob could have the same success as you? Were these all hand-regged after they dropped?

•••
Stub, as I said, it really depends.. On the name, the noob and of course other factors mentioned earlier ;)

I backorder my dropcatching list at various platforms rather than waiting for them to drop!

Yeah! But do you think a noob could have the same success as you? Were these all hand-regged after they dropped?

•••
I think the original subject matter for this thread was assuming the noob would be hand-regging dropped domains after they drop. I think your success is mostly because you backordered the domains you wanted to catch. There is a whole world of differences between those two scenarios. At least as big a difference as between a noob and an experienced domainer, like yourself. That is a double whammy against them being successful.

As I have said, 99% of the domains which drop are crap. And the question was whether picking up any of these domains could be a successful strategy for a noob. Well I think the answer to that question is somewhere between highly unlikely to almost impossible. If a noob wants to be successful at drop-catching, they need to employ the same kinds of strategies that you do. Participate on the drop-catching websites.

•••
I think the original subject matter for this thread was assuming the noob would be hand-regging dropped domains after they drop. I think your success is mostly because you backordered the domains you wanted to catch. There is a whole world of differences between those two scenarios. At least as big a difference as between a noob and an experienced domainer, like yourself. That is a double whammy against them being successful.

As I have said, 99% of the domains which drop are crap. And the question was whether picking up any of these domains could be a successful strategy for a noob. Well I think the answer to that question is somewhere between highly unlikely to almost impossible. If a noob wants to be successful at drop-catching, they need to employ the same kinds of strategies that you do. Participate on the drop-catching websites.

no offence stub but you really need to stop calling people noobs

and 99% of domains that drop are crap? you are 100% wrong there

•••
99% of the domains not catched by any backorder services are crap, it's almost impossible to deny.

•••
That is your opinion matrigaldo and I respect it as you should respect my opinion that said fact is wrong.

What annoys me though, is when people try to 'force' an opinion on others.

You need to understand that, when experienced users express their opinions to new people in domaining or domaineering, they have to be very careful on what they say in case they lead the new users to a completely wrong path.

An experienced user's 'opinion' is not just an 'opinion' for the new user, it's a straight fact. So, saying 99% of domains -after backorder- are crap is a very strong thing to say and you can't possibly know the value of all those thousands of domains that drop every day that could be used in flipping, developing, parking, reselling, investing, etc.

•••
99% of the domains not catched by any backorder services are crap, it's almost impossible to deny.

very much possible to DENY my friend. Your figure of 99% is wrong IMO

•••
That is your opinion matrigaldo and I respect it as you should respect my opinion that said fact is wrong.

What annoys me though, is when people try to 'force' an opinion on others.

You need to understand that, when experienced users express their opinions to new people in domaining or domaineering, they have to be very careful on what they say in case they lead the new users to a completely wrong path.

An experienced user's 'opinion' is not just an 'opinion' for the new user, it's a straight fact. So, saying 99% of domains -after backorder- are crap is a very strong thing to say and you can't possibly know the value of all those thousands of domains that drop every day that could be used in flipping, developing, parking, reselling, investing, etc.

Completely agree with Hypersot on this. And you never know what endusers are looking for out of those dropped & never caught names!

•••
Completely agree with Hypersot on this. And you never know what endusers are looking for out of those dropped & never caught names!

exactly. I will say only this since I don't like showing off.
I have read many posts in the forum about how GB (googlebanned) domains are useless and crap and also adult domains should be avoided, etc. etc.

well, I sold a couple of months ago a crappy .info adult name for $400 and a GB domain for, again, $400
why? because those guys had businesses , they didn't care if adsense would work for them, they sold their products straight to customers

both were handregs, .. just saying

Last edited:
•••
and 99% of domains that drop are crap? you are 100% wrong there
Let me put it differently: how many of those drops are re-registered ?

•••
Let me put it differently: how many of those drops are re-registered ?

I fail to understand your question. let's say no-one re-registers them, then what?

Let *me* put it differently: how many of those drops have potential value?

•••
Considering everyday around 100k - 150k domains drop, 99% of it equals around 1,000 - 1,300 valuable domains. Everyday.

Someone believes there are more (we're talking about recognizable value, because potentially even 484did09ds0lic.com can be valuable if tomorrow a business decide to use this name as their main one) than 1,000 valuable domains dropping everyday?

•••
Considering everyday around 100k - 150k domains drop, 99% of it equals around 1,000 - 1,300 valuable domains. Everyday.

Someone believes there are more valuable (we're talking about recognizable value, because potentially even 484did09ds0lic.com can be valuable if tomorrow a business decide to use this name as their main one) than 1,000 domains dropping everyday?

nope, you are right. I was wrong

•••
nope, you are right. I was wrong

Dude, this is a normal discussion, not a childish conversation.
If you think i'm wrong, or you think everyday dropped domains with value are more than 1,000 (i'm excluding the backordered ones), please argument your opinion. I'm sure of what i said, but i would be stupid to not considering any other opinions.

•••
What did I say wrong? I said you are right because it's true, from all the drops around the world there is no way that 1% has value. I did my maths wrong earlier on obviously.

I'm too old for childish conversation btw. and also not enough time for conversations where I see I'm wrong.

•••
Yeah you can. I registered 300 of them last year for almost 4 grand profit parking them alone and a couple sales.

•••
Backordered names are considered dropped names only in my opinion because they were let go by the previous owner.. So all in all the percentage is definitely more than 1%.

If someone says 99% are crap means they were never able to find gems out of the dropping lot or they gave up too early while scouring through those dropped lists.

If a domain name was once registered, there definitely was value associated with it, and thats whysomeone took pain by investing time and money to register it. There's different reason all-together that 25-30% of it could be domainer or squatting registrations.

Cheers

P.S. Not trying to argue with anyone but i feel differently about the statement made by one of the members earlier.

•••
My experience is that you can still find good names among the dropped ones, register them with a coupon and resell them for profit.
If you register 100 dropped names with a 3$ coupon your total investment is 300$..it doesn't take much to make a profit out of that portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
sure, there are some...

I start domaining last year, I got + $7000 sales all from the dropping ones

(more than 80% of my domains are worth nothing :), that when I just start domaining and thought that they are valuable domains :$: )

•••
sure, there are some...

I start domaining last year, I got + $7000 sales all from the dropping ones

(more than 80% of my domains are worth nothing :), that when I just start domaining and thought that they are valuable domains :$: )
did you develop them? and when you say dropped names, do you mean you had to register them for $10 or less or you snatched them at namejet or snapnames?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back