IT.COM

question ARE DROPPED DOMAIN NAMES WORTHY?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mycontrepipol

Established Member
Impact
Hello,
i wonder if there is any value buying any dropped domain names, if yes/no tell me why please. thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We are reducing this post to a mere rethorical exercise.
No one here, I think, is saying that you will find THE domain among the dropped ones but what some of us are saying is that if you register dropped names ( not the random trskkkktrsnfro,com/net/org/info clearly ) for 3$ you will resell it for at least double price even here on NP.

Scale the business model and you have a VERY sustainable business here which gives you from 30% to 100% ( and much more ) on a DAILY base so please let's not go around BSing and saying it's not doable.
The point is, in fact, whether or not someone considers it a far too time consuming activity.

I am not saying I am doing it or that is my main focus or business but it doesn't take Einstein to understand that is a very sustainable and scalable business.

This is true there are many of us here that do register domains daily with godaddy codes and end up parking and reselling them for profits.

•••
in my opinion the best drop names is has a short name & age . but many bidder lookup for this domain. after you get the domain, you have to spent time minimum 3 month to build traffic,backlink,pr,etc.

•••
It doesn't take an idiot to realize that this business model doesn't scale well into a sustainable business. If it was such a good idea, we would all be doing it, including yourself. I don't have the time to buy, manage, sell 1 domain for $3 profit (100% profit on a $2.99 coupon), and do that repeatedly. How much time and effort does it take to find one of these domains? 1hr, 2hrs? Lets say you sell 1 domain each an every day. It's not a workable business model. Now if you make 10,000% profit, a meagre $300 sale, it begins to make some sense. But at that level, there are far fewer domains available for reg-fee and worth $300, and even if you find one, how long is it going to take to sell it? Not in 1 day, maybe not in a month, maybe never. Probably you won't be able to sell it here on NamePros. So now you have the lengthy process of identifying potential end-users and actually selling them a domain, they had no idea they wanted. Suddenly your 100% successful quick sale, has shot down to maybe 10%, tops. Your profit $297 minus the $27 you spent on the 9 domains which didn't sell, is still a good profit. But if it takes you lets say 4 hours to find and sell (or not) each domain, and you only sell 1 domain, you have spend 40 hours (a weeks work every day) for that $270 profit. Then you are back to a non-sustainable business. I don't see any method of calculation which makes this a sustainable business model.

Please supply the numbers which explain how you think this is a doable and sustainable business model.

Last edited:
•••
Yes it is worth it if the domain is desirable and you have no problem marketing to end users/domainers.

•••
How many domains do you buy? How many do you sell? What price do you sell at? How much time do you spend on a) buying the domain, and b) selling the domain. Is it enough to sustain you?

•••
Many of these human noobs are not really doing any kind of cash-flow reality check on their balance sheets. They don't even have a balance sheet to begin with.

What really kills these human noobs in the long run, is actually the same handreg sales they make. When they make a sale for a couple of handregs, it "encourages" them to buy more and more handregs, thinking they struck a gold mine. That's the fatal part.

Handreg sales are like marijuana or cannabis (or hashish, for some of you folks out there) . It encourages addiction and psychedelic delusions of grandeur. So you end up spending more and more money to pay for this addiction.

In the end, most of these human noobs end up in Domainer rehab looking wasted. It's a sad scene.

•••
It doesn't take an idiot to realize that this business model doesn't scale well into a sustainable business. If it was such a good idea, we would all be doing it, including yourself. I don't have the time to buy, manage, sell 1 domain for $3 profit (100% profit on a $2.99 coupon), and do that repeatedly. How much time and effort does it take to find one of these domains? 1hr, 2hrs? Lets say you sell 1 domain each an every day. It's not a workable business model. Now if you make 10,000% profit, a meagre $300 sale, it begins to make some sense. But at that level, there are far fewer domains available for reg-fee and worth $300, and even if you find one, how long is it going to take to sell it? Not in 1 day, maybe not in a month, maybe never. Probably you won't be able to sell it here on NamePros. So now you have the lengthy process of identifying potential end-users and actually selling them a domain, they had no idea they wanted. Suddenly your 100% successful quick sale, has shot down to maybe 10%, tops. Your profit $297 minus the $27 you spent on the 9 domains which didn't sell, is still a good profit. But if it takes you lets say 4 hours to find and sell (or not) each domain, and you only sell 1 domain, you have spend 40 hours (a weeks work every day) for that $270 profit. Then you are back to a non-sustainable business. I don't see any method of calculation which makes this a sustainable business model.

Please supply the numbers which explain how you think this is a doable and sustainable business model.

Beside keep being slightly offensive in your posts you also might have missed some interesting subjects in your Marketing / Business degree.
Calculations are ( and have to be ) made A) on a portfolio basis , B) in a time frame that is not a week but preferably a year which is the time " you have " to sell the domain before you incur in further costs and C) considering how much you have invested both time and money wise. You also have to consider how many domains you could buy with that combined time + money investment.

This is a model that is sustainable giving for granted that the domainer did his own diligence before deciding to register or nor that / those names.

Many of these human noobs are not really doing any kind of cash-flow reality check on their balance sheets. They don't even have a balance sheet to begin with.

What really kills these human noobs in the long run, is actually the same handreg sales they make. When they make a sale for a couple of handregs, it "encourages" them to buy more and more handregs, thinking they struck a gold mine. That's the fatal part.

Handreg sales are like marijuana or cannabis (or hashish, for some of you folks out there) . It encourages addiction and psychedelic delusions of grandeur. So you end up spending more and more money to pay for this addiction.

In the end, most of these human noobs end up in Domainer rehab looking wasted. It's a sad scene.

Who ends up in rehab are those domainers who treat this not as a job but as a poker round, aka those who wait for the " big sale " just because they saw some happening.
Those who combine numbers, knowledge, humbleness and intuition never failed and never will. In this industry or any other.

•••
OK. So. Criticising my proof that this is an unsustainable business. Is your way of proving it isn't an unsustainable business? If you did this calculation on a portfolio basis over a period of a year, you would clearly find it is unsustainable, with any reasonable assumptions, of wins and losses. Nothing more to say to you, until you show me your calculation proving it is a sustainable business.

•••
Dropped domain names are a great source to find great reseller deals on aged domains with lots of value. Not taking advantage of a valuable resource doesn't male any sense.

•••
A dropped domain, is by definition, a new domain.

•••
OK. So. Criticising my proof that this is an unsustainable business. Is your way of proving it isn't an unsustainable business? If you did this calculation on a portfolio basis over a period of a year, you would clearly find it is unsustainable, with any reasonable assumptions, of wins and losses. Nothing more to say to you, until you show me your calculation proving it is a sustainable business.

Sorry Stub, I don't think I have to prove anything to you..good on me and others who can make it work.

I don't have the time to buy, manage, sell 1 domain for $3 profit (100% profit on a $2.99 coupon), and do that repeatedly

You came back to my initial point. It's a decision we make whether we consider it or not a far too time consuming activity.

•••
I say it's an unsustainable business model, you say it isn't. I substantiated my point. You refused to substantiate your claims. Lets leave it at that. I have nothing more to say.

•••
Sorry but throwing some numbers like you did doesn't substantiate anything at all.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back