IT.COM

domain Are domainers crazy?? JESUSOG.COM...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

branderoo

Established Member
Impact
Hi, so i have spent a few weeks reading posts and trying to learn. After feeling i had a slight grasp on domains i did the sensible thing that all the pros would recommend and bought 50 domains.. lol
Even after reading about all the crap domains that everyone has bought i am still pretty happy with with my selection, which is why i decided to become a NP member and have my ego taken down a notch by posting my list here. haha

The main reason for this post is that after buying my domains i began trying to figure out how to price them. I searched namebio, DNjournal, and then started looking at some of your portfolios which is when the confusion hit. Now, i don't want to call anyone out on here but an example of one portfolio that had me dumbstruck was one that was filled with "insertclichepharse".com and hundreds of cliche phrases asking for $XX,XXX - $XXX,XXX for each one. I understand that an asking price is just an asking price but with so many .com's in your portfolios(which i would have thought were useless) being priced as such, I'm not sure if these domainers are crazy or actually getting sales.

so as promised here is my list(total cost: $90). Feel free to let the brutal honesty out.

91CHEMDOG.COM
AK47SKUNK.COM
ARIZONAWESTERNLIGHTPURP.COM
BENTLYOG.COM
CAGREENTOURS.COM
CALIBUDSHOP.COM
CALIFORNIAGROWNCANNA.COM
CALIGREENTOURS.COM
CALIFORNIASEEDLESS.COM
CALIFORNIAHERBSHOP.COM
CALIGROWNBUD.COM
CANNABISSALAD.COM
CANNAMEDSMMJ.COM
DOGWALKEROG.COM
DOLLAREDIBLECLUB.COM
EDIMEDS.COM
INDICATRIM.COM
JESUSOG.COM
LAMBSBEARD.COM
LEMONSOURDIESEL.COM
PUREOG.COM
PURPONICS.COM
RIPPEDBUBBA.COM
SATIVATRIM.COM
TGSCALIFORNIA.COM
buycannabisinsandiego.com
buycannabislasvegas.com
buycannabissandiego.com
buycannabisvegas.com
canabisinsandiego.com
canabissandiego.com
cannabisfortworth.com
cannabishonolulu.com
cannabisinlosangeles.com
cannabiswaikiki.com
marijuanaalbuquerque.com
marijuanacharlotte.com
marijuanafortworth.com
marijuanainkansascity.com

marijuanainnewyork.com
newyorkcannabisdispensaries.com
phantomcookies.com
waikikidispensaries.com

sandiegocannabisdispensaries.com
engaize.com
branderoo.com
gencrest.com
scofly.com
101410.COM
102110.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not that I know much about it, but it takes a little more than just "shoving a seed" in the ground. I do agree that it's probably less difficult to do than run a distillery, but it's still not easy.

The point I think Domainace is trying to make is that everyone is regging pot/weed domains. Out of the thousands people have reg'd, there will probably be only a SMALL percentage of them that actually sell. The rest will just sit there to rot.

Actually Marijuana is not that hard to grow.
As for everyone registering weed/pot domains I partially agree and I have already pointed out in the Hemp/Marijuana thread that many of those names, especially those that may suggest a negative/pusher/drug addict connotation, are doomed to fail and be dropped.
That won't happen, imo, for good brandables or for professional and/or business related domain names

•••
•••
i agree that these might not be the best domains, given that I'm expecting future value, but i strongly disagree that marijuana will not grow more popular than alcohol. The domains that i regged were based on actual searches that i myself had done. Obviously keeping the keywords and expanding on it. Many that don't make sense are names of marijuana strains. Also, here are some similar sales i found on name bio. I definitely don't plan on renewing all of them next year(unless i come across more coupons.. lol) but ill try to be more selective when that time comes. Thank you to those of you that shared your view, good or bad, its appreciated.

medicalmarijuanacafe.com $2,025.00
medicalmarijuanaplants.com $1,136.00
marijuanapills.com $3,745.00
marijuanabook.com $760.00
marijuanasupplier.com $852.00
marijuanamall.com $1,575.00
advancedmarijuana.com $4,100.00
marijuanaindex.com $1,051.00
lasvegasmedicalmarijuanadispensary.org $1,234.00
medicalmarijuanadc.com $1,495.00
marijuanaads.com $1,950.00
marijuanasoda.com $546.00
ismarijuana.com $2,096.00
marijuanapill.com $1,000.00
marijuanamontana.com $905.00
marijuanamusic.com $500.00
medicalmarijuana.us $605.00
marijuanavaperizerreviews.com $1,004.00
marijuanaforum.com $850.00
dutchmarijuanaseeds.com $500.00

cannabisnames.com $530.00
miamicannabis.com $660.00
smokingcannabis.com $1,425.00
cannabisconsultants.com $525.00
investincannabis.com $1,100.00
cannabiscollective.com $1,000.00
scannabisconnoisseur.com $2,346.00
cannabiscoins.com $1,295.00
cannabisexchange.com $1,095.00
cannabismd.net $518.00
grainedecannabis.com $2,200.00
cannabis.co.uk $6,600.00
cannabiscafe.com $1,260.00
cannabisville.com $3,006.00

dispensaries.com $3,006.00
lovebud.com $6,700.00

•••
•••
its really not that difficult if you are regimented and have your grow planned out ahead of time, but thats a topic for a different forum.. lol

•••
So far, states that have legalized marijuana are seeing an uptick in new stores opening up.
New businesses of all kinds are popping up in the marijuana field.
Thus, they will need good marijuana domains.
So there is a market out there.
And it will only grow.
Check out the marijuana thread here for one big sale of a doobie domain! To a new store!

Just like vaping businesses.
Just near me are 4 vape stores.
And I see that 2 more are in the stages of opening up.
Another domain market there.

But, and this is the big but...all these businesses are going to want domains that make freaking sense!
Misspelled words are not going to cut it.
Words in the wrong order (say, marijuanagreat) won't do it.

•••
i completely understand your point but at the same time not all mmj shop owners analyze as much as domainers...

luckily domainers aren't my target audience..

These make much less sense then mine(or so i believe):

ismarijuana.com $2,096.00
marijuanabook.com $760.00
lasvegasmedicalmarijuanadispensary.org $1,234.00
marijuanamontana.com $905.00
marijuanamusic.com $500.00
marijuanavaperizerreviews.com $1,004.00
grainedecannabis.com $2,200.00
lovebud.com $6,700.00

•••
maybe you didn't read this
[sni[]
and this
[snip]
So I never told him his names were good.
[snip]
I certainly didn't mean to suggest him to hold on to " not so good " names.

But you did say "we will probably have to hold on to some names for a while." which is what I read and suggests he holds on to names =)

This doesn't really apply: any geek off the street could start a pot business while making alcohol is a tad harder than shoving a seed into the ground. So liquor domains have a far smaller set of endusers, thus those domains sit collecting virtual dust.
Do geeks spend a lot on their domain names these days? I missed that change. Maybe we should have a geek showcase.

Not that I know much about it, but it takes a little more than just "shoving a seed" in the ground. I do agree that it's probably less difficult to do than run a distillery, but it's still not easy.
It's probably easier to run a distillery.

There is also a large movement in the craft liquor market that is growing. The craft cider market is growing and the craft beer market has already grown. Not sure how sales of domain names work as with these products you can get really creative and the names usually start local, word of mouth and then grow through the movement. I don't see why marijuana would be different but with even more creative names.

I disagree with this. Liquor and alcohol is certainly a huge business and industry and there is no doubt about it; it is a harmful one though and puts health in danger.
Marijuana is widely known for its recreational use but still totally underestimated for its medical one; but this is exactly where the gold mine is,
I also agree with Archangel because once marijuana will be legal then there will be many " collateral " business models such as how to grow it, tools for growing it, pipes, bongs, vaporizers etc etc etc
Liquor and alcohol abuse is harmful and puts health in danger. The same collateral business exists for alcohol.

Nice contribution :)

its really not that difficult if you are regimented and have your grow planned out ahead of time, but thats a topic for a different forum.. lol
Getting it done and getting it done as part of a viable business are two things. Business and hobbies will always be separate. Every 'geek' isn't going to be growing and selling.

•••
im not looking to sell to every geek, just the ones that are able to sell their weed, which is extremely easy. The ones who are selling their weed are turning $100/day(if they have a day job and aren't available) - $500/day(if they have a decent client base) this is an average for a "geek on the street" and i speak from personal experience/knowledge of the business. someone who is dedicated and on their hustle can easily make thousands per week. so, a $5k domain is nothing to them.

Now a professional MMJ company on the other hand can make $5k in a day easily and I'm sure they wouldn't mind spending a days worth of sales on a domain that they believe will increase their sales potential.

•••
But you did say "we will probably have to hold on to some names for a while." which is what I read and suggests he holds on to names =)

YES We ( domainers ) will have to hold on to marijuana/ hemp domains for a while because it is a growing market not a fully developed one. It's up to each of us to decide what domains to drop and what to keep and I have already said the OP's names are not in the " wow " area.

Liquor and alcohol abuse is harmful and puts health in danger. The same collateral business exists for alcohol

So? My point was that alcohol related business have per se a unhealthy connotation by default, while medical marijuana is potentially a global panacea. Quite a difference in my view; but then, again, it all comes down to what we choose to register or buy domain wise.

Every 'geek' isn't going to be growing and selling.

Yes you are right but many of them will search for info, will need tools to grow, will need tools to make oils and tinctures etc etc etc.

•••
From my (ha ha) "blessed" youth, I know weed isn't hard to grow. It really is as easy as putting a seed into the ground. But you can help the growth and thus, the sellability of the plant by using the best lighting, fertalizers etc. But yeah, that's a different thread lol

Any idiot can grow a plant. Not many can make beer. For every alcohol-related business, there will be 5,000 weed-growers. It's an easy biz to get into. Thus, there is no real comparison between weed and liquor domains. Apples and oranges.

•••
regardless of this whole who can grow and who can't(which anyone with a laptop can learn how) most of the guys on the streets are buying a pound for 2K and flipping it for 6K . once its legalized I'm sure they will have the cash to "try" to go legit and the smart ones are preparing now. Ill take $500 for any of the mmj domains, when your selling bud you wouldn't care if you spent that on a drunken night.

•••
medical marijuana is potentially a global panacea.

Just think of all the other domains we won't need. No pain, no cancer, no mental health domains. This revolution is going to cost ICANN a fortune.

regardless of this whole who can grow and who can't(which anyone with a laptop can learn how) most of the guys on the streets are buying a pound for 2K and flipping it for 6K . once its legalized I'm sure they will have the cash to "try" to go legit and the smart ones are preparing now. Ill take $500 for any of the mmj domains, when your selling bud you wouldn't care if you spent that on a drunken night.

Yup everyone is going to be in the 1% .. or the new 99%. There's so much money that these people will waste it on shite domains, for sure.... :rolleyes:

•••
From my (ha ha) "blessed" youth, I know weed isn't hard to grow. It really is as easy as putting a seed into the ground. But you can help the growth and thus, the sellability of the plant by using the best lighting, fertalizers etc. But yeah, that's a different thread lol

Any idiot can grow a plant. Not many can make beer. For every alcohol-related business, there will be 5,000 weed-growers. It's an easy biz to get into. Thus, there is no real comparison between weed and liquor domains. Apples and oranges.

"Blessed" youth. :D

I think anyone can brew beer. Whether or not it takes good is another story. But I agree they are two completely different businesses.

Anyways, @branderoo, not bad for just starting out. Just make sure to continue to learn more and more each and every day. That's what's going to make you money. Learning which domains are selling and why. Which new markets are opening up and getting on the ground floor. Learning how to market the domains you've already purchased.

Never stop reading and learning.

•••
In the meantime I picked up StrainMagazine...

•••
Well, anybody can grow garlic or tomatoes by putting a seed in the ground. Why aren't garlic and tomato domains in hot demand? If everybody can grow their own, then there won't be much of a market at all for marijuana domains. Peripherals are another story, but you'll still need a solid domain.

Say that marijuana becomes as big as the alcohol business, as virtually impossible as that is, my point was that these names won't have much value even then. There is no reason to believe that marijuana would not be controlled by a few huge conglomerates. It has already happened with processed foods, tobacco and alcohol. If you could predict what brand names the most popular marijuana will be sold under, you might be on to something. But most of those candidates (kush, etc.) are also already long gone.

And, photonmymind, alcohol has medicinal uses as well. And all medicines are also poisons. But alcohol is ingrained in social customs around the world, and has been for centuries. Nothing is going to replace that anytime soon, least of all something that has to be smoked, or eaten in some unappetizing baked concoction.

•••
So far, states that have legalized marijuana are seeing an uptick in new stores opening up.
New businesses of all kinds are popping up in the marijuana field.
Thus, they will need good marijuana domains.
So there is a market out there.
And it will only grow.
Check out the marijuana thread here for one big sale of a doobie domain! To a new store!

Just like vaping businesses.
Just near me are 4 vape stores.
And I see that 2 more are in the stages of opening up.
Another domain market there.

But, and this is the big but...all these businesses are going to want domains that make freaking sense!
Misspelled words are not going to cut it.
Words in the wrong order (say, marijuanagreat) won't do it.

easy pickins too for these domains.

•••
Edibles are delicious! i no longer wish to speak with you. lol jk but seriously..

•••
i completely understand your point but at the same time not all mmj shop owners analyze as much as domainers...
luckily domainers aren't my target audience..

Trust me, end users can analyze the name much more than most domainers. There are end user sales where the end user doesn't seem to have put much thought into it - I have 2 domains right now that have been long paid for and still can't get the buyer to take possession - but I don't think it's a good business model to assume that all your customers will just be throwing money around.

You've made few assumptions:

1- That massive profits will continue to be made once legal marijuana is commonly available. I would expect profit margins to drop as competition heats up.

2- That someone with a lot of money would happily spend it on a domain name. It's irrelevant how much people have. If they don't want the domain, they won't buy it. For many, it's even a matter of principle not to deal with "squatters."

3- That people who spend $500 on drinks in a night would be willing to spend that much on a domain. A drunken evening out is an easy sell. Very few people will desire a marked-up domain name over an evening of drinks and carousing. Same as #2. They have to desire the name. Would you buy a banjo for $500 just because it's only $500?

I should confess I do own a couple marijuana rehab names. Rehab isn't going anyway any time soon.

Last edited:
•••
You can't get stoned off garlic and tomatoes. That's why.

But you bring the point I've always had: if weed was legal everywhere, it'd be way too easy to obtain, thus the $5/joint price in most areas will become 25 cents, as supply would be well over demand. So I don't see the marijuana business beiig big once it's made legal nation-wide

Well, anybody can grow garlic or tomatoes by putting a seed in the ground. Why aren't garlic and tomato domains in hot demand? If everybody can grow their own, then there won't be much of a market at all for marijuana domains.

•••
You guys miss out the prices on this weed. In places its legalized it is still very expensive. Plus lets not forget there will always be different strains and even some that have other stuff in it not available through legalized stores. There will be a market on the streets still.

•••
For now.

Americans are always trying to get rich quick, as that's the American dream. Supply will skyrocket, demand wouldn't be high (ha ha) enough, and a lotta sellers would lower prices to get sales.

Don't underestimate how the American mind works. We are stingy like that

You guys miss out the prices on this weed. In places its legalized it is still very expensive.

•••
amsterdam has had marijuana legalized for a long time now yet they still sell marijuana seeds, yes seeds for almost $0.50 each. the average gram in amsterdam is still almost $15. same as it is in cali. the money is there and isn't going anywhere..

•••
Yeah I am american. lol The thing isn't supply its whats being done to the street strains that the government wont allow to be sold. Laced is the best used term. people are gonna want the better stuff.

•••
Heirloom tomatoes are big business.
Just check out farmers markets.
Same with fresh garlic.
Fresh ginger, and so forth.
But I see no farmers or weekend gardeners rushing out to buy tomato domains or garlic domains.

The alcohol market is growing.
Quite a few craft beer breweries in Iowa and more on the way.
Quite a few craft liquor breweries in Iowa (producing good whiskey to vodka and everything in between).
More on the way.
Surprising what I found out about this business in Iowa one day when I saw a big sign on the side of a street advertising a new whiskey.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back