Domain Empire

domain Are domainers crazy?? JESUSOG.COM...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

branderoo

Established Member
Impact
Hi, so i have spent a few weeks reading posts and trying to learn. After feeling i had a slight grasp on domains i did the sensible thing that all the pros would recommend and bought 50 domains.. lol
Even after reading about all the crap domains that everyone has bought i am still pretty happy with with my selection, which is why i decided to become a NP member and have my ego taken down a notch by posting my list here. haha

The main reason for this post is that after buying my domains i began trying to figure out how to price them. I searched namebio, DNjournal, and then started looking at some of your portfolios which is when the confusion hit. Now, i don't want to call anyone out on here but an example of one portfolio that had me dumbstruck was one that was filled with "insertclichepharse".com and hundreds of cliche phrases asking for $XX,XXX - $XXX,XXX for each one. I understand that an asking price is just an asking price but with so many .com's in your portfolios(which i would have thought were useless) being priced as such, I'm not sure if these domainers are crazy or actually getting sales.

so as promised here is my list(total cost: $90). Feel free to let the brutal honesty out.

91CHEMDOG.COM
AK47SKUNK.COM
ARIZONAWESTERNLIGHTPURP.COM
BENTLYOG.COM
CAGREENTOURS.COM
CALIBUDSHOP.COM
CALIFORNIAGROWNCANNA.COM
CALIGREENTOURS.COM
CALIFORNIASEEDLESS.COM
CALIFORNIAHERBSHOP.COM
CALIGROWNBUD.COM
CANNABISSALAD.COM
CANNAMEDSMMJ.COM
DOGWALKEROG.COM
DOLLAREDIBLECLUB.COM
EDIMEDS.COM
INDICATRIM.COM
JESUSOG.COM
LAMBSBEARD.COM
LEMONSOURDIESEL.COM
PUREOG.COM
PURPONICS.COM
RIPPEDBUBBA.COM
SATIVATRIM.COM
TGSCALIFORNIA.COM
buycannabisinsandiego.com
buycannabislasvegas.com
buycannabissandiego.com
buycannabisvegas.com
canabisinsandiego.com
canabissandiego.com
cannabisfortworth.com
cannabishonolulu.com
cannabisinlosangeles.com
cannabiswaikiki.com
marijuanaalbuquerque.com
marijuanacharlotte.com
marijuanafortworth.com
marijuanainkansascity.com

marijuanainnewyork.com
newyorkcannabisdispensaries.com
phantomcookies.com
waikikidispensaries.com

sandiegocannabisdispensaries.com
engaize.com
branderoo.com
gencrest.com
scofly.com
101410.COM
102110.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am going to be brutally honest.
Picking domains is easy, everybody can do it.
Selling domains is awfully hard, because the demand for aftermarket domains is limited.
115 million domains are registered in .com alone, .com has been mined to death so whatever is left available is usually available for a reason.

I think you will struggle to find buyers for your domains.

i figured that many would not hit or turn a profit but at such a low investment cost if only 3 were able to turn a $30 sale then I'd atleast break even.
That's the theory, beginners always think "I just need to make one sale to break even". Still that sale will never come. Because it's much more difficult than you think. Sales are the exception, not the norm.

cannabis/marijuana domains should be very valuable once it is legalized in more states. till then i might have to hold onto them for a while i guess..
That doesn't mean every domain embedding the word 'cannabis' or 'marijuana' will be come valuable...

Are you going to renew all these domains next year ? If you do, you will lose approx. $500 in renewal fees. If you don't, the domains will drop without selling. You lose your investment ($90 you say, you must have used coupons).

End users have plenty of alternatives. They will not buy from domainers (you or me) unless they have a compelling reason.
For example the names in uppercase at the top of your list. Many don't make sense to me. But I am thinking that for an end user it shouldn't be hard to find alternative domains of similar or better quality, available for reg fee. They will do the job just fine, thus bypassing the seller (you). Why exactly should I buy from you, when I can find another suitable domain with some brainstorming. That is the question.
Not to mention that nobody likes to pay more than regfee for a domain.

•••
Regarding the marijuana names. Imagine domains were around at the end of prohibition in the USA. During prohibition alcohol was sold freely in illegal "speakeasies." Upon news that liquor would soon be legal, we would all rush out and buy liquorchicago.com, localliquor.com, etc.

Liquorchicago.com is available to register. Chicagoliquor.com is being offered at a modest $888 BIN, with no buyers in 10 years since registration.

Liquor is a bigger business now than marijuana will ever be in the future. Chicago is a big city. And yet, those liquor names aren't seeing much demand.

Consider this before registering marijuana (or any other future domain).

•••
It seems you got it right yourself : I strongly believe marijuana is and will be a huge industry but as you said we will probably have to hold on to some names for a while.

Bad names don't sell in any market. Advising to hold them for a while just sinks more cost into already sunk cost.

•••
Ok..maybe it should be in the appraisal section but maybe the OP is humbly asking for some opinions and help rather than for clueless " xx " " reg fee " " delete it " and stuff like that so let's be welcoming.
If the thread is really in the wrong section I am confident the mods will move it.

My opinion about your names is that many of your emds are the wrong way around English wise so that doesn't help.
Branderoo is a nice one but it mainly appeals to domainers as we ( domainers ) are pretty much the only ones interested in putting up sites to sell brands. It could be suitable for an e commerce too.
NNNNNN are probably those you will re-pay your 90$ investment with.

•••
maybe you didn't read this
[sni[]
and this
[snip]
So I never told him his names were good.
[snip]
I certainly didn't mean to suggest him to hold on to " not so good " names.

But you did say "we will probably have to hold on to some names for a while." which is what I read and suggests he holds on to names =)

This doesn't really apply: any geek off the street could start a pot business while making alcohol is a tad harder than shoving a seed into the ground. So liquor domains have a far smaller set of endusers, thus those domains sit collecting virtual dust.
Do geeks spend a lot on their domain names these days? I missed that change. Maybe we should have a geek showcase.

Not that I know much about it, but it takes a little more than just "shoving a seed" in the ground. I do agree that it's probably less difficult to do than run a distillery, but it's still not easy.
It's probably easier to run a distillery.

There is also a large movement in the craft liquor market that is growing. The craft cider market is growing and the craft beer market has already grown. Not sure how sales of domain names work as with these products you can get really creative and the names usually start local, word of mouth and then grow through the movement. I don't see why marijuana would be different but with even more creative names.

I disagree with this. Liquor and alcohol is certainly a huge business and industry and there is no doubt about it; it is a harmful one though and puts health in danger.
Marijuana is widely known for its recreational use but still totally underestimated for its medical one; but this is exactly where the gold mine is,
I also agree with Archangel because once marijuana will be legal then there will be many " collateral " business models such as how to grow it, tools for growing it, pipes, bongs, vaporizers etc etc etc
Liquor and alcohol abuse is harmful and puts health in danger. The same collateral business exists for alcohol.

Nice contribution :)

its really not that difficult if you are regimented and have your grow planned out ahead of time, but thats a topic for a different forum.. lol
Getting it done and getting it done as part of a viable business are two things. Business and hobbies will always be separate. Every 'geek' isn't going to be growing and selling.

•••
What's wrong with cliche phrases? Do you think obscure phrases would be easier to sell?

•••
Hate to say but pretty much all are reg fee to me. However, I do agree with ppl here that Branderoo is a solid pick-up. So you have a lot of bad but 1 good. That's not bad for a beginner. I see most beginners regging a few hundred terrible domains. You're doing pretty good so far

•••
weed has been sold everywhere, long before states starting legalizing

so geo weed names will only have perceived value to other domainers

if you've seen the inside of weed stores, the labels on the jars reflect the choices end-users (weed smokers) make.

if you look at the some names of businesses entering the market, many have generic, or green, or clinic or health related names

here's a brief list of licenses recently awarded to companies in illinois:

gti clinic holding, llc
cresco labs, llc
in grow farms, llc2
wellness groups pharms
nature's grace and wellness, llc
progressive treatment solutions, llc

important to note that some on this list also are involved in weed sales in other states, so that narrows the margin.

imo...

•••
Regarding the marijuana names. Imagine domains were around at the end of prohibition in the USA. During prohibition alcohol was sold freely in illegal "speakeasies." Upon news that liquor would soon be legal, we would all rush out and buy liquorchicago.com, localliquor.com, etc.

Liquorchicago.com is available to register. Chicagoliquor.com is being offered at a modest $888 BIN, with no buyers in 10 years since registration.

Liquor is a bigger business now than marijuana will ever be in the future. Chicago is a big city. And yet, those liquor names aren't seeing much demand.

Consider this before registering marijuana (or any other future domain).

I disagree with this. Liquor and alcohol is certainly a huge business and industry and there is no doubt about it; it is a harmful one though and puts health in danger.
Marijuana is widely known for its recreational use but still totally underestimated for its medical one; but this is exactly where the gold mine is,
I also agree with Archangel because once marijuana will be legal then there will be many " collateral " business models such as how to grow it, tools for growing it, pipes, bongs, vaporizers etc etc etc

•••
Not that I know much about it, but it takes a little more than just "shoving a seed" in the ground. I do agree that it's probably less difficult to do than run a distillery, but it's still not easy.

The point I think Domainace is trying to make is that everyone is regging pot/weed domains. Out of the thousands people have reg'd, there will probably be only a SMALL percentage of them that actually sell. The rest will just sit there to rot.

Actually Marijuana is not that hard to grow.
As for everyone registering weed/pot domains I partially agree and I have already pointed out in the Hemp/Marijuana thread that many of those names, especially those that may suggest a negative/pusher/drug addict connotation, are doomed to fail and be dropped.
That won't happen, imo, for good brandables or for professional and/or business related domain names

•••
So far, states that have legalized marijuana are seeing an uptick in new stores opening up.
New businesses of all kinds are popping up in the marijuana field.
Thus, they will need good marijuana domains.
So there is a market out there.
And it will only grow.
Check out the marijuana thread here for one big sale of a doobie domain! To a new store!

Just like vaping businesses.
Just near me are 4 vape stores.
And I see that 2 more are in the stages of opening up.
Another domain market there.

But, and this is the big but...all these businesses are going to want domains that make freaking sense!
Misspelled words are not going to cut it.
Words in the wrong order (say, marijuanagreat) won't do it.

•••
im not looking to sell to every geek, just the ones that are able to sell their weed, which is extremely easy. The ones who are selling their weed are turning $100/day(if they have a day job and aren't available) - $500/day(if they have a decent client base) this is an average for a "geek on the street" and i speak from personal experience/knowledge of the business. someone who is dedicated and on their hustle can easily make thousands per week. so, a $5k domain is nothing to them.

Now a professional MMJ company on the other hand can make $5k in a day easily and I'm sure they wouldn't mind spending a days worth of sales on a domain that they believe will increase their sales potential.

•••
From my (ha ha) "blessed" youth, I know weed isn't hard to grow. It really is as easy as putting a seed into the ground. But you can help the growth and thus, the sellability of the plant by using the best lighting, fertalizers etc. But yeah, that's a different thread lol

Any idiot can grow a plant. Not many can make beer. For every alcohol-related business, there will be 5,000 weed-growers. It's an easy biz to get into. Thus, there is no real comparison between weed and liquor domains. Apples and oranges.

•••
From my (ha ha) "blessed" youth, I know weed isn't hard to grow. It really is as easy as putting a seed into the ground. But you can help the growth and thus, the sellability of the plant by using the best lighting, fertalizers etc. But yeah, that's a different thread lol

Any idiot can grow a plant. Not many can make beer. For every alcohol-related business, there will be 5,000 weed-growers. It's an easy biz to get into. Thus, there is no real comparison between weed and liquor domains. Apples and oranges.

"Blessed" youth. :D

I think anyone can brew beer. Whether or not it takes good is another story. But I agree they are two completely different businesses.

Anyways, @branderoo, not bad for just starting out. Just make sure to continue to learn more and more each and every day. That's what's going to make you money. Learning which domains are selling and why. Which new markets are opening up and getting on the ground floor. Learning how to market the domains you've already purchased.

Never stop reading and learning.

•••
You can't get stoned off garlic and tomatoes. That's why.

But you bring the point I've always had: if weed was legal everywhere, it'd be way too easy to obtain, thus the $5/joint price in most areas will become 25 cents, as supply would be well over demand. So I don't see the marijuana business beiig big once it's made legal nation-wide

Well, anybody can grow garlic or tomatoes by putting a seed in the ground. Why aren't garlic and tomato domains in hot demand? If everybody can grow their own, then there won't be much of a market at all for marijuana domains.

•••
Heirloom tomatoes are big business.
Just check out farmers markets.
Same with fresh garlic.
Fresh ginger, and so forth.
But I see no farmers or weekend gardeners rushing out to buy tomato domains or garlic domains.

The alcohol market is growing.
Quite a few craft beer breweries in Iowa and more on the way.
Quite a few craft liquor breweries in Iowa (producing good whiskey to vodka and everything in between).
More on the way.
Surprising what I found out about this business in Iowa one day when I saw a big sign on the side of a street advertising a new whiskey.

•••
Not comparing tomatoes and weed.
Just saying the market is there and growing for all good veggies.

•••
Here is a thought...
Anyone ever seen a store that sold domains?

•••
And you are again underestimating businesspeople. Even potheads could tell you:if they have a lot to sell and most ppl sell $5 a joint, they'd get the sales by dropping it to $4. And that'll pick up, obviously, thus the selling price will only get lower. That's logic, Business 101.

Is he comparing or making the sales point of supply and demand to average asking price.
regardless supply and demand if every seller said f- that its this price minimum no going lower people are gonna pay it.

•••
Laws are made to be broken lol

defying laws every now and then is what makes life more adventurous and interesting. like the x,xxx TM domain I sold..lol

•••
Here is a thought...
Anyone ever seen a store that sold domains?

Web Registrars Physical Offices where they accept cash for registering domains :P

•••
Hi, so i have spent a few weeks reading posts and trying to learn. After feeling i had a slight grasp on domains i did the sensible thing that all the pros would recommend and bought 50 domains.. lol

Negative ghost-rider. Buy one. Flip it. If you are just starting out, hand registering will get you almost nowhere but into the red. In reality you could have spent that $90 on buying one decent name and flipping it for $500.

(Firstly, because you wont get hit with 50 renewal fees at the end of the year...but because having one decent name and only focusing on flipping that will yield you better results.)

Then... you just keep to repeating the same step with your $500 and turning that into $2k... then repeat. That is ultimately the most lucrative cycle that has proved itself the most beneficial in my career.

This is all my own opinion (much like everyone will have their own method) but it has worked out flawlessly. If I could start over, I would have spent my initial budget on just one name - instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and hand register made up words and crafty phrases..

Find yourself a solid deal on an aged, high search volume domain with development potential and high ad competition (not the only metrics, but a good start). Buy it cheap and flip it. I've done that over and over and over again. It works.

Now you just have to spend another few weeks reading posts on how to valuate your domain properly ;)

•••
a pro would tell you to post in proper area

> the appraisal section

•••
that is my opinion... that new members should post domains in proper section, if they want opinions, critiques, rebuttals, appraisals, sales, etc.

when they do that, then it shows they have respect for the forum.

Good Luck!

imo....

•••
You have some good ones there, for you just starting. I like branderoo.com the best. It's short and brandable.

Something I've learned along the way: the shorter the domain the better; think like the end user; what would the domain be used for?. Keep these questions/statements in mind when you purchase domains. There are hundreds of thousands to choose from and at times you may think all the domains you come across are excellent. Just remember to think, and don't impulse buy. Something that helps a lot is create a list of all the "great" domains you WANT to buy. Wait a few hours, or a day, then re-read the domains on the list. I promise some of them won't seem as great as you thought in the beginning.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back