Dynadot

question Anyone lose domains due to LCN Whois email verification?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Ok so here's the story.
I've lost over 272 domains as far as I know based on the emails I got from LCN saying that the domains mentioned in the emails have "Failed Transfers".

These domains had been transferred already and were in my account but since I did not respond to the mandatory Whois Email verification as per ICANN LCN let go of my domains. I think my spam filter considered this LCN Email Verifcation email as spam and got lost.

This is exactly the reason I think most Registrars decided that if customers don't respond to the ICANN email verification yearly thing then they just assume it is correct and nothing has changed.

LCN seems to be the only registrar that forces you to respond and I've had domains at some pretty low rate registrars in my time.

I must point out that they let go of certain domains randomly while keeping others with no rhyme or reason. (Cherry Picking domains?)

My main complaint is that LCN forces you to reply back to verify your email when ,most registrars nowadays simply contact you via email for the yearly verification of whois email and let you know that it's "That time" of the year to check your email on file with their company and on the whois for each domain you own and inform them if it is correct.

If you don't reply back to them they will just assume it is correct and that's that.

At NO POINT is your domain ever in Jeopardy of being suspended or let go.

The worst part? What I paid to transfer my domains to LCN? They said I can't get refunded back since it was paid to ICANN already and effectively it is forfeit.

The odd thing is how not ALL my domains were let go (thank God!) but only certain ones. Some really Good ones.

And now those domains were picked up by other domainers like HugeDomains.

Really pisses me off.

It's almost as if LCN coordinated something to let my domains suspend from my account in an effort to have them be picked up by large domainers.

My third complaint is when I asked them for a detailed complete list of all the domains that were let go from my account they can't seem to provide me that list.

The only way I can find out is if I manually go thru my huge list of domains manually or randomly check my domains and find out that it's available for reg or is in a hugedomains or other domainer's account.

Plus when these domains were deleted from my account there wasn't even some confirmation that the domains were removed from my account. This is something I get all the time from Godaddy or other registrars.

Is this just some slick coordinated way to steal domains? Using the ICANN email verification rule as an excuse to delete domains from an account?

Has anyone experienced this??

also I have to ask. Am I the only person who has gotten an email verification request from LCN in which you had to respond or else lose your domains?

I swear if I was the only one then I think I have a serious issue.

With all of this said. What can I do to recover domains that are now in other people's accounts?

All I can think of is that LCN said that I cannot get a refund since ICANN was already paid for the domain transfer.

With that said if the domain was deleted from my account because I did not respond to the LCN email verification but LCN's rule that if I don't respond then my domains are going to be deleted.

Do I have any rights to get back my domains? Technically if you pay anything to ICANN don't you have any rights as a registrant?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I use LCN but only for .UK domains nowadays.

I don't think that I've had a verification email from them before, I have from GoDaddy though.

I find it hard to believe that it would be in their interest to pass domains over to big domainers, I suspect that this is just coincidence... Because they manage to pick up all of the good names anyway.

Did you receive notifications that the names were going to be dropped? What timeline are we talking about between the failed transfer and the names ending up in someone else's hands?

•••
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I use LCN but only for .UK domains nowadays.

I don't think that I've had a verification email from them before, I have from GoDaddy though.
It's because ccTLDs are not subject to Icann rules and indeed some registrars are maybe overzealous. Aren't they supposed to suspend the domains at worst ?

One more reason to choose your registrar wisely.

•••
Hopefully others who have had LCN experience will provide answers to your questions. It seems wrong to me that they can say the transfer in failed due to lack of verification and yet you still have to pay the year registration cost. Are LCN represented on NPs? If so someone should tag them for response. This must be huge and stressful loss and my sympathies.
Bob

•••
here's a screenshot of my inbox with the emails for one specific domain domain that is now in some other domainers account because it deleted from my account. you tell me. how was I notified that the domain was deleted from my account?
lcn.jpg

•••
I’ve seen a lot of your names. This could be a mixed blessing - let some of them go. :xf.wink: Pruning time!

File an ICANN complaint for the ones you really want back takes seconds copy paste the names into the complaint box.

Last edited:
•••
here's the only reference the is problematic that indicates my domain might be deleted from my account.

LCN.com - Important! Your inbound domain transfer has failed
Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:18 PM
"LCN.com" <[email protected]>
To:

Your inbound domain transfer has failed
Hi ,
Unfortunately your recent transfer request for XXXXXX.com has failed.
We’re not exactly sure why at this stage, so we’ll need to investigate further.
Please get in touch with us as soon as possible, and we’ll get your domain transfer back on track.

•••
File an ICANN complaint for the ones you really want back.

This is TRUE! the ones that are "out there" and no one picked up obviously I'll consider letting those go but some I really want to develop someday.

Thanks buddy!

•••
I understand that the below email is pretty to the point and black and white. My only question is the definition of "Suspended". is that delete or Client hold?

LCN.com - Verify your email address

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:11 PM
"LCN.com" <[email protected]>
To:

Your email address needs to be verified
Hi,
Your email address "xxxxxxxxxxxx.com" has not been verified. If the email address is not verified within 15 days, any domains registered to this email address will be suspended.
Please check out our support guide to learn more about the email validation process.
Please click the button below to verify now.

•••
File an ICANN complaint for the ones you really want back takes seconds copy paste the names into the complaint box.

can you provide me with the link to ICANN complaint filing? I forgot it. you seem to know this sort of thing by heart.

•••
•••
I believe you may use this form
https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/transfer/form
enter one domain name into the "Domain Name" box, then check "My domain name was transferred without my authorization" would probably be the closest to your situation and then in the box "Please provide additional comment or details" copy/paste a short statement about what exactly happened (very short) such as, "My domains were delete transferred out of my account when I failed to receive the WhoIs authorization email because it was filtered out as Spam, and I wish these domains to be restored to my ____ [name of registrar] account associated with email address [_______ ]" and copy/paste the additional domain names, or at least as many as the form will allow you to enter.

Last edited:
•••
I got a scare like this the other morning there was an email
"Unfortunately, we cannot determine proper registration of the following name(s) due to inaccurate data (WHOIS data) associated with their domain name registration:

***.com

The domain names above have been removed from your portfolio due to these WhoIs issues.

You may request an appeal for any of the domain names we have removed. Please contact our customer service department at the phone number below.
"

It was about 5:30am I was a little bleary eyed and I started writing an email to my manager at DynaDot to see what may be done, until a bit later I noticed that the line read:

"The domain names above have been removed from your Afternic portfolio due to these WhoIs issues."

and that it was merely about a domain I had let expire voluntarily a year ago, that I had forgotten to remove from my Afternic selling portfolio. No big deal, and no error. I'd read it too fast and not noticed that the email came from Afternic, not DynaDot.

Actually I like the way DynaDot handles the yearly WhoIs verification:

We are required by ICANN to send you the whois information for these domains once a year. If the information is correct, no action is needed. Otherwise please visit our website and update your whois information:

http://www.dynadot.com/account

which means that you needn't take any action unless something is incorrect, changed, etc. No chance of losing a domain due to inaction. Plus who has time to click a verifying link for hundreds or thousands of domains?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I have domains at LCN and as far as the yearly WHO is check is considered I never received an email asking me to respond but it appears the email you pasted here is for the verification of your own email, which is a different process. Last WHOIS check I got from LCN was on Feb the 3rd, and it said "
If any of the information above in inaccurate you must correct it. You can update this information from your LCN.com account – please take a look at our support guide on how to update the contact details on your domain.
If all of the information above is accurate, you will not need to take any further action. Please remember that under the terms of your registration agreement, the provision of false WHOIS information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration."

As you can see , it states that if the information is correct, YOU will NOT need to TAKE any further action. So this is the email for the yearly WHOIS data verification while your email says "Your email address needs to be verified
Hi,
Your email address "xxxxxxxxxxxx.com" has not been verified. If the email address is not verified within 15 days, any domains registered to this email address will be suspended.
Please check out our support guide to learn more about the email validation process.
Please click the button below to verify now."

Good luck getting the ones you want back, but I am not sure it will be an easy task or even feasible.

•••
Did you sign up for a new account? I think once you initially confirmed your whois details you will not have to take action again unless something changes.

So having a new unconfirmed account may result in this issue. Same goes for using a newly added contact I guess. Confirm it once and future yearly whois checks can be ignored.

•••
LCN suspended my account for using a code that was posted here— attempted to not successfully —a deal according to them meant for “UK customers only”. They are nuts and I am moving the few I have left.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back