NameSilo

Anyone else registering 3D domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems that 3D is going to be the the next must have technology, according to the big brands, they are all launching 3D TVs.

I attempted to find good 3D names but the best domains are already taken, I think in 5 years time or even less, those generic 3D domains will be worth a lot. :imho:

Anyone else registering 3d domains? Do you think they have a future?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess that only 3d domains with one word or clear keywords would make it on trend market. I really do not see any high paid future for them..Companies would come up with all kinds of name to avoid 3d domains...It's just my opinion

I have 3dtelephones.net and .info ready to sell now

Sometimes trend does not follow our wishes...I'm just realistic

•••
I do not agree at all. I see it is as there are people extremely new to registering domain names and are completely wasting their money on a lot of these and you have others with more experience trying to guide and help but with huge resistance.

Looking at it from a different point of view, there are thousands of domains sold at auction which the extremely new and the more experienced would describe as worthless. Some people are quite happy to sell domains for $xx profit.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Hows this for a conspiracy theory.

All the people downplaying the value of the 3d domain names are trying to panic the current owners into underselling their 3d domain portfolio so they can get all the benefits later on. Just a thought.

Can't remember where I found this, but your post reminded me that I had it somwhere.

How to become a Domain Name Guru.

1) Register as many old domains, typos of famous brands, and borderline Tm domains as your financial situation allows, and park them.

2) Join as many domain name forums as possible.

3) Form close associations with a few like minded members. ( Handy for shill bidding )

4) Pay one of your new buddies to design a website for your best domain and use it as your avatar.

5) Never reveal any of your other domains on the forums.

6) Advise all posters whom you consider gullible, Not to hand reg domains but buy on the aftermarket ( hopefully from your portfolio)

7) Occasionally submit a post bragging about a $xx,xxx domain sale. ( Say you are bound by a privacy agreement so you don't have to provide proof )

8) If you miss the boat on an emerging niche, do all you can to spoil it for other speculators.

9) Check the stats for your cybersquatting portfolios at least 20 times a day

10) Troll the forums and severely reprimand anyone who dares to post a brandable domain for appraisal.

•••
i site i like is 3dre.com , it's a slight vision of some of the future design techniques

•••
Can't remember where I found this, but your post reminded me that I had it somwhere.

How to become a Domain Name Guru.....

1) Register as many old domains, typos of famous brands, and borderline Tm domains as your financial situation allows, and park them.

3) Form close associations with a few like minded members. ( Handy for shill bidding )

4) Pay one of your new buddies to design a website for your best domain and use it as your avatar.

6) Advise all posters whom you consider gullible, Not to hand reg domains but buy on the aftermarket ( hopefully from your portfolio)

7) Occasionally submit a post bragging about a $xx,xxx domain sale. ( Say you are bound by a privacy agreement so you don't have to provide proof )

8) If you miss the boat on an emerging niche, do all you can to spoil it for other speculators.

10) Troll the forums and severely reprimand anyone who dares to post a brandable domain for appraisal.

Is there anyone that springs to mind?

•••
•••
How to become a Domain Name Guru.

A lot of that is pretty funny, because it's true... The "domainer" world has a damn low bar to attain 'community celebrity' status. Without calling out any names (since a few of them are participants here), in a lot of cases, it isn't much more than establishing a blog and a website, then speaking everything in a declarative fashion. Also, as far as people constantly reporting high domain sales but never back them up, yes, three are liars galore in this regard...

Still, though, a lot of that little rundown smacks of sour-grapes from losers who fail at this, particularly #'s 6 and 8.

6) The domain aftermarket is pretty much the last place left to find real value (unless, of course, you're one of the alternative extension people, in which case, there's almost unlimited keyword opportunity in .im and .cx and HAHAHAHAHA YOUR INNOVATIVE THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX IS WHY YOU OWN PETSTORE.CX AND I DON'T!!!!!).

We arrived at- and surpassed- peak domaining long ago. The people who sincerely believe that they're fresh-registering quality, desirable names are totally deluded and are simply biding time before their "leaving domaining" fire sale, or when they quietly disappear all together and just let their garbage drop off unnoticed. Not to say that fresh registrations cannot be of value- it's just that to recognize when a set of keywords that has thusfar been unregistered is about to attain relevance to the point of having resale value, it takes years and years and years of experience actually selling and developing names, which most people ITT just don't have.

8) This thread is a classic example of an "emerging niche" - and just like all other "emerging niches", the only names that will ever be salable (save for freak outlying examples) were registered long before the 'niche' emerged into the 'domainer' world. Most everyone here is participating in that all-too-common domainers fantasty where they believe their crap names will go on to define the industry- owning Fantastic3dWorld.info will hold productive world by the balls and James Cameron himself have to pony up 1/2 the net box office of his next 3d film if he wants to own whatever amazing, amazing 3d name Mr. Domainer owns....

I'm convinced that 'domaining' on it's lower levels appeals to serious Walter Mitty types who indulge in deep and complex fantasies, without much attachment to the goings on in the real world around them. Their domains don't represent any value to anyone else- they are little $8 indulgences in personal fantasies.

This sort of behavior can be addictive and costly.

[/COLOR]

All the people downplaying the value of the 3d domain names are trying to panic the current owners into underselling their 3d domain portfolio so they can get all the benefits later on. Just a thought.

The jig's up, fellas. We've been busted... Our plans to talk down these names then buy them on the cheap have been foiled by pjam1110 here.

I guess we'll have to move on to another set of suckers. These 3d guys are just too sharp for our little schemes...

Last edited:
•••
Just looking at some stats on g00gle insights.

Regional interest in the term 3d for the past 30 days and the past 7 days.
English speaking nations are not in the top 10 regions.

Regional interest in the term 3-d for the past 30 days and the past 7 days
USA top of the list.

•••
Just looking at some stats on g00gle insights.

Regional interest in the term 3d for the past 30 days and the past 7 days.
English speaking nations are not in the top 10 regions.

Regional interest in the term 3-d for the past 30 days and the past 7 days
USA top of the list

Just about sums it up.

:notme:

三D.com Chinese :gl:

•••
celebrities ???? ......... now that's comical

•••
•••
This might be long so sit tight...
I am not new to domaining... i have 'dabbled' now for about 4 years... not a guru, but not a noob either... i have made modest money off of a few names... no more than 5 figures total in my lifetime, so i will not and ever consider myself an "expert"...

... with that said, i am new to this forum and was originally excited to be... i didn't jump in this thread to sell anything... i was excited to talk about more 3d technology, present developments and the effect it would have on the domain business..

... i have regged about 150 3d related domain names in the past month and a half, so this was NEVER a premeditated motive of mine coming in, but since my first 3d domain name - man, am i stoked about the future... and this thread here, if it is ANY indication of the rest of this forum as a whole, is nothing but filled with HOMERS who ONLY want to praise the 3d purchases of the other and rip those they know nothing about.. it doesn't even seem like you all try to hide it - it's just BLATANT!!!

I am amazed at how the ones who do not agree with the purchase of 3d domain names can just not get enough of this topic and this thread... it speaks of your own character, really....

me, i'm a yankees fan who despises the mets
... would i rather watch, read and learn more about my yankees or hang arond a mets forum just to throw mud on them? .. makes no sense!!

I understand there are some stupid names being regged out there, but that doesn't mean ALL names being regged are a handful of flames.... not a chance.. just the other day somonee on this board regged "3d side effects"... F**Kin BRILLIANT man!!! .. I LOVE that one... (Jealous, actually - AWESOME find!!) i didn't see any of you homers step up and say anything good about it... or even my list of 25 .co.uk names for that matter - one person said anything... you only want to STICK to and quote the bad ones... what kind of credibility is that?

You have people on this board who have only joined this room to rip and rant about how criminal it is to register 3d domain names... there SOLE PURPOSE is to do just that... this just don't undertsand.

The whole "ALL GOOD 3d names were taken years ago" thing is JUST - RIDICULOUS!!!!!

I'm sorry, i'm not trying to be a troublemaker by any means, but i had this exact same discussion with domainica in another forum and STILL never got a complete, black and white answer...

when you say that, when you ALL say "ALL GOOD 3d names were taken years ago" what exactly do YOU mean?... seriously - what is YOUR idea of valuable? ... monetarily speaking, of course.

Am i to understand that the ones who say that will ONLY get invloved in ANY domin name if it can fetch 6 figures?.. cause the SMALL list of names that actually have been 'regged for years' are about the only ones who WILL net 6 figures (if at all)... so again .. is 6 figures your ONLY idea of a good domain investment? .five figure domain names - is that what "GOOD DOMAIN NAMES" are to YOU?

maybe you guys have never worked a day in your lives and that's why you feel that way, but man, i have NO PROBLEM buying 200 $7 items (DIGITAL items, no less!) and selling them for $75 a piece... from where i come from, which is reality .. THAT IS A PROFIT!!!

... so maybe you guys with your HIGH expectations are really full of CR*P cause a real 6-7 figure domainer is not gonna even waste their time talking to us second rate citizens who have no idea what a domain name is.

Also.. AS A DOMAINER, wouldn't you guys WELCOME the hype into your industry??? I mean, isn't this what's considered 'GOOD FOR BUSINESS" for you all??... o.. that's right .. only for those who actually BOUGHT 3d domain names and GET to play this game this time around .. and i don;t mean no S3d names either.. i mean REAL 3d names!! (save the s3d is the technical right way to say it garbage also - grandma and auntie em are STILL gonna only call it THREE DEE... as well as ALL marketers, advertisers and business owners)

Sorry to step out of line in some of your eyes...
.. i'm not trying to create trouble, but you guys are just out of control now.. and if you kick me out of this thread and this forum - so be it... guys like myself and froy and pjam and evirtual and so may others keep trying to ADD to the 3d discussion... we're bringing awareness to your industry.. you should be thanking our DUMB selves for the pub!

Froy - i love your enthusiasm and really, i am on your side - i obviously believe 3d will be big - but dude, you're IN FANTASY LAND with your guesstimated numbers'... personally i think you're just trying to get a rise, and i sit and laugh, but i hope it's only that... you can't realitically think you're getting 7 figures for mobile network 3d or whatever it was.... not unless you build a 7 figure business on top of it....expectations are great in life, but reality needs to mingle around the thought too, ya know.

also.. in closing ..
.. i don't know why you guys keep calling this a "TREND" ..
... maybe that's where your biggest problems are
... maybe you need to research "reality" and "trends" instead of bashing

... this is not The Macarena

...so g'head and take your turns ripping into me now and talking all your smack with your tagteam partners... i expect it more so now since you got hit with some TRUTH.

as for everyone else...
the only way to slow these guys down is to agree with at least some parts of what i just said - this has become nothing more than a bashing room and it's not necessary

•••
•••
No need to keep apologising. You are doing nothing wrong by posting your opinions.
As long as you are not abusive or victimising.
Go for it. This is a discussion forum.

•••
I'm sorry, i'm not trying to be a troublemaker by any means, but i had this exact same discussion with domainica in another forum and STILL never got a complete, black and white answer...

when you say that, when you ALL say "ALL GOOD 3d names were taken years ago" what exactly do YOU mean?... seriously - what is YOUR idea of valuable? ... monetarily speaking, of course.

You got more than a black and white answer.

You doubted me when I said the good 3D names were taken years ago.
I provided proof at the other forum and also here, just a few postings ago.

You asked about my idea of value.
I gave you my opinion. I asked for one name, just one 3D name, that made the list at DNJournal. There wasn't one, was there? But you still insisted your 3D names had value. But when I asked you to add up the money you made selling your names versus the money you spent on buying them, you stated that you made a $75 sale.

$75.

I still don't understand how your ONLY 3D sale amounting to an astonishing $75 is valuable.
Especially when you titled the thread you started at the other forum with:
"Will '3D' Revive The Domain Industry - 3D Domain Names"
then went on and on and on about how much these 3D names will be worth someday.

All I requested from you was "show me the money". To your credit, you finally did. But like I stated at the other forum, a $75 sale ain't gonna revive the domain industry, and it certainly ain't gonna make anyone rich.

Last edited:
•••
Part of his question was at what monetary value do you consider a domain to be good or crap.

$ - Description
$$ - Description
$$$ - Description

Although I don't think this would help in determining a domain's value, it would give him an insight into how you think.

•••
This might be long so sit tight...
I am not new to domaining... i have 'dabbled' now for about 4 years... not a guru, but not a noob either... i have made modest money off of a few names... no more than 5 figures total in my lifetime, so i will not and ever consider myself an "expert"...

... with that said, i am new to this forum and was originally excited to be... i didn't jump in this thread to sell anything... i was excited to talk about more 3d technology, present developments and the effect it would have on the domain business..

... i have regged about 150 3d related domain names in the past month and a half, so this was NEVER a premeditated motive of mine coming in, but since my first 3d domain name - man, am i stoked about the future... and this thread here, if it is ANY indication of the rest of this forum as a whole, is nothing but filled with HOMERS who ONLY want to praise the 3d purchases of the other and rip those they know nothing about.. it doesn't even seem like you all try to hide it - it's just BLATANT!!!

I am amazed at how the ones who do not agree with the purchase of 3d domain names can just not get enough of this topic and this thread... it speaks of your own character, really....

me, i'm a yankees fan who despises the mets
... would i rather watch, read and learn more about my yankees or hang arond a mets forum just to throw mud on them? .. makes no sense!!

I understand there are some stupid names being regged out there, but that doesn't mean ALL names being regged are a handful of flames.... not a chance.. just the other day somonee on this board regged "3d side effects"... F**Kin BRILLIANT man!!! .. I LOVE that one... (Jealous, actually - AWESOME find!!) i didn't see any of you homers step up and say anything good about it... or even my list of 25 .co.uk names for that matter - one person said anything... you only want to STICK to and quote the bad ones... what kind of credibility is that?

You have people on this board who have only joined this room to rip and rant about how criminal it is to register 3d domain names... there SOLE PURPOSE is to do just that... this just don't undertsand.

The whole "ALL GOOD 3d names were taken years ago" thing is JUST - RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Am i to understand that the ones who say that will ONLY get invloved in ANY domin name if it can fetch 6 figures?.. cause the SMALL list of names that actually have been 'regged for years' are about the only ones who WILL net 6 figures (if at all)... so again .. is 6 figures your ONLY idea of a good domain investment? .five figure domain names - is that what "GOOD DOMAIN NAMES" are to YOU?

maybe you guys have never worked a day in your lives and that's why you feel that way, but man, i have NO PROBLEM buying 200 $7 items (DIGITAL items, no less!) and selling them for $75 a piece... from where i come from, which is reality .. THAT IS A PROFIT!!!

... so maybe you guys with your HIGH expectations are really full of CR*P cause a real 6-7 figure domainer is not gonna even waste their time talking to us second rate citizens who have no idea what a domain name is.

Also.. AS A DOMAINER, wouldn't you guys WELCOME the hype into your industry??? I mean, isn't this what's considered 'GOOD FOR BUSINESS" for you all??... o.. that's right .. only for those who actually BOUGHT 3d domain names and GET to play this game this time around .. and i don;t mean no S3d names either.. i mean REAL 3d names!! (save the s3d is the technical right way to say it garbage also - grandma and auntie em are STILL gonna only call it THREE DEE... as well as ALL marketers, advertisers and business owners)

Sorry to step out of line in some of your eyes...
.. i'm not trying to create trouble, but you guys are just out of control now.. and if you kick me out of this thread and this forum - so be it... guys like myself and froy and pjam and evirtual and so may others keep trying to ADD to the 3d discussion... we're bringing awareness to your industry.. you should be thanking our DUMB selves for the pub!

Froy - i love your enthusiasm and really, i am on your side - i obviously believe 3d will be big - but dude, you're IN FANTASY LAND with your guesstimated numbers'... personally i think you're just trying to get a rise, and i sit and laugh, but i hope it's only that... you can't realitically think you're getting 7 figures for mobile network 3d or whatever it was.... not unless you build a 7 figure business on top of it....expectations are great in life, but reality needs to mingle around the thought too, ya know.

also.. in closing ..
.. i don't know why you guys keep calling this a "TREND" ..
... maybe that's where your biggest problems are
... maybe you need to research "reality" and "trends" instead of bashing

... this is not The Macarena

...so g'head and take your turns ripping into me now and talking all your smack with your tagteam partners... i expect it more so now since you got hit with some TRUTH.

as for everyone else...
the only way to slow these guys down is to agree with at least some parts of what i just said - this has become nothing more than a bashing room and it's not necessary

My sentiments exactly.
Although I just didn't know when I would find the time to create that long of a Post with all of my true feelings about the possibilities of doing well with our little visions of potential decent selling "crumbs".

I guess what it all comes down to is:

"What is your definition of success"?

Mine is to make money, and build a more solid portfolio that is well-rounded.
I have done that so far on all sorts of different domains.
I got a $45.00 offer on one of my silly 3D domains today. Is that a successful?
Yes, in my eyes it is. Would I love more, of course, but I am realistic.
This has been my 5th offer since I grabbed my dozen or so 3D domains
Will these 3D domains be a $xxx,xxx pay-day for me? LOL - No, I seriously doubt it.
But I am very happy with a lot of smaller scale sales, and a couple of big ones here and there.
Over time w/a well rounded portfolio and persistence you can still do well w/smart moves.

I would hope what the naysayers are trying to say is this, which I firmly agree with...
"Don't throw all of your eggs into one basket", especially this,
an unproven new niche that we have no idea how it will fair until a year or 2 from now.
Agreed 100%.

But to say, You can't make money off of new reg's at all, I firmly disagree.

Great Post 3D Domain names,
Repped.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Part of his question was at what monetary value do you consider a domain to be good or crap.

$ - Description
$$ - Description
$$$ - Description

Although I don't think this would help in determining a domain's value, it would give him an insight into how you think.

I told him that too.

If someone regs a name for $7 and flips it for $20, that's good. It's a profit (though you still have to consider the "time" investment). I've got nothing against that. You're making money, right?

But that's not what he was claiming at the other forum. He and his back-slapping buddies were talking about reviving an industry and becoming rich enough to retire from their 3D domain venture. And these poor newbies were just eating it up. And they'd list their names for his approval, crap names, and he'd be high-fiving them at every turn.

'Course when the newbies wanted to sell their great names, no one wanted to buy.

There's a world of difference between quick flips and retiring.

And I know he and his buddies don't appreciate me pointing that out.

•••

If someone regs a name for $7 and flips it for $20, that's good. It's a profit (though you still have to consider the "time" investment). I've got nothing against that. You're making money, right?

There's a world of difference between quick flips and retiring.

Dude.. I'm loving what you are saying.. very wise words coming from domainica!

•••

Exactly.

Yeah, some of this thread is beyond ridiculous,
but I really do see some great moves being made here also.
The "thinking outside the box" type of moves are brilliant.

•••
I guess that only 3d domains with one word or clear keywords would make it on trend market. I really do not see any high paid future for them..Companies would come up with all kinds of name to avoid 3d domains...It's just my opinion

I have 3dtelephones.net and .info ready to sell now

Sometimes trend does not follow our wishes...I'm just realistic

Not this one 3D is getting huge money thrown at it. Companies will include 3d.coms because they will be advertising on a 3D channel It will fit right in. This is going to take some time 1-2 years at least.
As far as 3dtelephones I would keep the .net for sure. Info dump

•••

3DDomainNames

Im sorry you feel that way, i havent seen one post where the sole purpose is to rip. I am personally against regging 3g names as i believe the odds of getting a return are extremely thin.

But everyone is different as is their risk tolerance. If you believe in yourself, dont let anyone stop you. Most of my profits in domaining have come from the .tv extension which is constantly bashed by the .com community.

I went with my heart and my credit card and it paid off big time for me because i chose well. Others lost their trousers cause they invested in crap names - it wasnt the extension that lost them a fortune, it was their choice of names that they regged in the extension.

I am certainly not against 3d names.Why on earth would I have anything against 3d???

The real issue is the amount of crap that is being regged with 3D names. And the issue becomes more complicated when certain individuals talk like they are on crack. I only need to refer to your post for you to know what and whom im talking about.

Everyone was once a beginner, but an extremey small group of domainers hit the big time. Perhaps a hundred or less with a definate top 10 that stand out in that small group.

Which is why very few people here have had a problem with your views on 3d. Cause your attitude is right. You are seeking to educate yourself and discuss an area of the industry where you feel passionately about.

Really, stick around, the conversation took off on a tangent that had nothing to do with you and was certainly not your fault.

Regards

MC

•••
•••
I'm trying to think of a time in the past when speculation worked for late stage registrations. The good 3D domains were taken years ago. So even the biggest pumpers in this thread were very late to their own party.
Words of wisdom.

And it's not just the good 3D domains that were taken years ago.
Reg fee domains will just not make anybody rich. The newbies like to think of domains as lottery tickets but it does not work like that, and if it ever did it is so rare they would be better off buying real lottery tickets.

That's a perfect followers attitude. Heck we mine as well just all just give up on life because everybody beat us to everything. That statement is totally ridiculous as you or me or anyone else does not know what a domain buyer will think when he buys a domain.

Now that's funny, the sheep following the sheep lemmings and they call the more lukewarm members followers.

There is absolutely no way to figure out what someone is going to buy and tveverywhere is a perfect example.
Actually it's not hard to tell a good domain from a crap domain. The likelihood of a crap domain selling for good money is very low. If you purchase quality names the odds of selling are considerably higher and you will achieve a good ROI quite easily. If you invest in subprime domains, you will waste your money no renewal fees because nobody wants your domains.

How about this dub why don't you post your portfolio of 3D domains lets see your thinking
Hows that sound.?
What I'm waiting for is your list of 3D domains, you seem to just brush that question off,
This thread is Who Is registering 3D domains. I would suggest if you do not fit that bill you may want to go to another thread like maybe Who is following the crowd that is a better one for ya.

You mean, we must have 3D domains in our portfolio or we are losers ? :blink:

The way I see it, its just another domainer craze made of pure hype and wishful thinking. Believe me, we had seen countless threads like this one already.
Here we are talking about trends, so it's wild speculation at best but even assuming the trends take shape (why not indeed) - there are very very few domains in this thread that have the right caliber... That's the sad truth. We are just contemplating another showcase of garbage reg fee domains.

The two fundamental issues remain: too many members are late to the party and have not done any research, they are just following in the footsteps of their peers, another case of the blind leading the blind IMHO :blink:

•••
Please read above post again....it may save you alot of dollars:kickass:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back