NameSilo

Any way to sell fast?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
What I don't like about Sedo: If someone visits my domain, potential buyers are easily distracted and get lost. On the parking page, "this domain is for sale" link is too small, and buyers are encouraged to click "buy domains" link instead of making an offer, or search for keywords and view tons of unrelated junk domains.
No clicks on parking for 1000 visits, and even if there is a click it is worth 0 or 1 cents.
If there is a buyer, he offers 90 usd, and if I'm wiling to accept 90 usd I have to counter 180 usd.

I buy a .net domain, which was registered and developed in 20+ extensions some of which owned by the same company. So theoretically there should be many buyers and compete for that domain in a virtual auction, and that domain should easily sell for 1K or more in one day, and this would be the fair price. But in reality what happens: They may check that domain, and see it is unavailable, and quit. If I send a message, it will be totaly ignored, even if it is totally logical and generous.

Let's say I own abccompany.com, they have abc-company.com, abccompany.net, abccompanyinc.com, abccompany.in.. If I send a message it will be ignored. If I check stats to see if they visited the domain after the message, I'll see it was not visited.

Or I have abccompany.info which was their previous address. Now they switched to abc.company, but
abccompany.info receives totally targetted 100 unique visits per day, which they could convert to 100 usd per day easily but at parking page I see 100 visits, and no clicks per day, and if there is a click it is worth 0 or 1 cents. So I can't convert that traffic. But they can. If I contact them, they just ignore. Even if price is a few hundreds they still ignore.
After 1 year, I will have to decide whether to renew or not. There is still traffic, but not converting although it is targetted. And stil no buyers.

If someone they trust approach them and mention domain names, traffic etc, they will be willing to pay 10K, but otherwise they won't offer 1 usd. And although there should be dozens of such buyers, none of them is interested unless something happens.

Btw my domains are all good, but they still don't sell. and renewal prices will add up. So it is not about quality of my domains. I remember at some point I was selling many domains at Sedo. Now, still I do, but it happens rarely. There seems to be some hidden forces afffecting domain sales.

I have a theory explaning why we can't sell at Sedo so easily. Sedo gets traffic from our domains, and then encourages visitors to buy something else. And among those something else, they promote their own domains, where they will make 100 percent profit instead of 15 percent. Or they will sell premium domains offered by registries and get 50 percent commission, and there won't be any messaging back and forth, and any other time wasting activity when selling this way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks for the share?
does anyone have the same experience?

•••
This seems to be a modern trend. Ebay is no longer really interested in auction sales, but makes more from advertising, associated sales and financial services. They also mine data from the traffic you generate, and this could be their biggest earner. I believe Sedo and similar organisations are going the same way. I think it is best if you set up your own network, and you can promote your own names, but that is a fair bit of work, and may not generate the fastest sales.
The answer to your question about selling a name quickly is to list it here on Name Pros, but expect to get wholesale prices rather than retail.

•••
This seems to be a modern trend. Ebay is no longer really interested in auction sales, but makes more from advertising, associated sales and financial services. They also mine data from the traffic you generate, and this could be their biggest earner. I believe Sedo and similar organisations are going the same way. I think it is best if you set up your own network, and you can promote your own names, but that is a fair bit of work, and may not generate the fastest sales.
The answer to your question about selling a name quickly is to list it here on Name Pros, but expect to get wholesale prices rather than retail.
that is the power of bigdata.... thats what make FB and FBads so powerfull....

•••
I gather Facebook and Twitter are on the skids at the moment. I've seen several reports that advertising there can damage your business. I think it has become too spammy, and overrun with bot upvoting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back