NameSilo

status-monitor Anarchy in "Domain Names Wanted" forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't know if you checked the "domain names wanted" forum lately. New members are spamming all threads with their s...ty domains and this section has become unusable. Please, make something about it. I guess the restriction of sellers to post in the threads was a very good idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you flag the posts? Usually when I see something like that, flagging it usually does the trick and a mod or admin will handle it.

Unless it's for that one dude that likes to continually spam and post off topic stuff about Snapnames from 10 years ago.

•••
Well - I'll do. But it will happen again and again. People desperate to sell their domains will continue to reply to old threads and making mess.

•••
I have noticed that too and the section is just a big useless mess atm.
Keep reporting and I am sure posters and posts will be dealt with accordingly.

•••
To be honest I had rarely even checked that section of the forum until people started to complain about it. guess bad publicity is a good form of attracting new people. lol

•••
Thanks guys, we are monitoring as we opened up the ability to post again. It's our hopes that people start using their better judgement, we would hate to have to work around the clock manually cleaning it up until we get so finger numb we are forced to start issuing infractions or close all posting again.

Play nice everyone, We are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt in the forum :)

•••
I've noticed it just today. Yeah,I'm hoping it'll do better. This section is underutilized... I'm hoping it'll go better.

Why not ban certain ppl from posting? ie Users without at least 50 posts? That might at least prevent some spam

•••
I've noticed it just today. Yeah,I'm hoping it'll do better. This section is underutilized... I'm hoping it'll go better.

Why not ban certain ppl from posting? ie Users without at least 50 posts? That might at least prevent some spam

I agree as well people should have to have a certain post count or at least be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to post there.

•••

A form of limitation based on membership time / posts count / or feedback rating might actually be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

•••
Maybe 100posts plus a min. 3 months on the forum. That'll give ppl time to learn the rules (and with 100 posts, they should have the experience needed to conduct business)

I agree as well people should have to have a certain post count or at least be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to post there.

•••
And feedback. It'd show the user has experience buying/selling here :)

A form of limitation based on membership time / posts count / or feedback rating might actually be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

•••
Or at the least qualify under a 2 out of the 3 rule. Where they must meet 2 of the 3 requirements.

•••
I wanted to post in the section to buy some names but I have totally reconsidered it!
Tooooooooooooo messy atm

•••
Oh plllleaaaseeeeee put a min post count and time frame for the WTB section. Seems like the losers from DP are coming here with there crap. It is ok to be a site for newbies and all but at somepoint we all kinda grow up..maybe the forum should to D-:

•••
I dont think its bad at all, once you find the sort by link lol, i think it gives buyers a lot more ideas to work with, even if 90% are spam

•••
Don't you guys think that if a person is going to start a business and he wants certain kind of domain only for one time then should he wait for reaching minimum number of posts to start a thread there?

I don't think it's a good idea as such person will be forced to post crap in other forums in that case, as his only intention is to post a request in domains wanted section.

•••
There is no excuse to have to wade through 90% spam to find a deal

I dont think its bad at all, once you find the sort by link lol, i think it gives buyers a lot more ideas to work with, even if 90% are spam

Of course. That's the point.

Rules need to be made beause some ppl are assholes who believe only in anarchy. Best to make the limit, risking 1 or 2 ppl, than to force over 200,000 registered users to deal with a load of spam

I don't think it's a good idea as such person will be forced to post crap in other forums in that case, as his only intention is to post a request in domains wanted section.

•••
people go through 90% of spam everyday....you wouldnt be where you are today if it wasnt for spam :P

•••
@shiftaction
that spamming is really making the user experience ( aka ours ! ) an awful and unprofessional one.

•••
sooooo why not be patient and work with NP to resolve/ban people that can't at least come up with something relevant...I mean this is something new right? Just seems like more people are spending time to complain than to go through 2 days worth of posts, or to hit to sort by date button

•••
and thanks for writing something I can understand haha

•••
The problem in the "Domains Wanted" section is quite simple... Mostly new members are coming in and posting in this section - and emphatically breaking the rules. They have been bumping "graveyard"domain threads that should have been closed many months ago....

Posting in the thread is not allowed since the new new Namepros software was installed a few months ago. Members are supposed to use the SUBMIT RESPONSE area in the post which sends a private message to the person who made the request.

Thats the way its supposed to be. And for the most part its not happening now....
Its quite a mess and needs to be straightened out by the moderators.

Last edited:
•••
different now apparently mitch! looks to be trying something new. I like it, but of course, everything needs work

•••
No no no, requiring 100 posts before posting in the domains wanted will kill off business. The majority of us are sellers, the last thing we need is to discourage buyers from posting. An easier option would be simply to lock the old domains wanted threads or to use the "prevent bumping old threads" vb plugin. Oops nevermind, just remembered the switch to Xenforo... maybe if they have something like it where the user has to check the tickbox to say they want to post even though it's an old thread, before posting.

•••
How would 100-post limits kill business? Criticize me if you want, but I don't care one bit about ppl who comes on NP with no intention of being a valuable member. Those who sign up merely to spam ARE NOT WELCOME in my eyes. 100 posts would at the least show the user is engaged with the community. Again, I don't care for ppl who have no desire to be useful to come along and BREAK FORUM RULES (or to act all spammy), making the community harder to work in. If a member of DF or similar wants to come into NP, that's perfectly fine. But if they only come to spam, what good are they? What value do these users bring with them? A 100-post limit isn't killing or even denting business--unless you consider being a spammy POS "business." Otherwise, the limit only helps and hurts none

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back